Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Color Blind

Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Spike

Haha my dad is around your age and always seemed to be somewhat red colour blind. He has much better vision than me ironically but he definitely has trouble with blood trails I can point out an obvious patch of blood and he wont see it at all. He has become very proficient at reading trails to the point where he can find the deer without a blood trail with ease. My best advice would be to take it slow, carefully inspect spots that look wet and even bring a tissue to swab it to see if it's blood, but don't forget to mark every spot so you don't lose where you were! But most importantly watch that deer like a hawk after you shoot it to see the direction it went, if you know the direction you can follow the game trail.

edit: we did buy a seek thermal xr (one of those thermal cameras you attach to your phone). It has been a huge help on occasion but most shots were very clean so the deer were usually found shortly after.

Last edited by Mihajlo Simsic; 11-22-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:04 AM
Spike

Sadly, I suffer from the same affliction. My doctor says I have the worst case he’s ever seen. It’s not all bad though, it makes you pay more attention to detail. Generally I will spot game quicker than most and sometimes I even spot deer that are bedded up. My hunting buddies laugh about it all the time. Once I shot a buck and thought I’d hit it. Upon walking the trail the deer had gone down I didn’t see any signs so I returned to where we meet up. I was telling them I wasn’t sure about the shot. They all started laughing because my pants had blood all over them! Anyway wound up with my deer
Old 11-24-2019, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Erno86
I'm color blind in red and brown....I can see the color of a red traffic light, though seeing blood on the brown autumn leaves is sometimes difficult for me.
I have perfect vision.. and autumn leaves... blood …. you need to look carefully. They blend in.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup... Color blind here as well. The USCG made me a Yeoman (personnel records, H/R, payroll, etc...) and planted my a$$ behind a desk for a career, instead of out on the water running the patrol boats and big cutters or flying a helicopter or airplane. As a kid I always fudged my way through, as I had memorized the Ishihara test booklet (those little colored dots where you see a "number" within the multi colored dots). But the USCG used a Naval Fallant Test and I failed instantly.

Anyway, blood in the leaves looks like dirt to me too. It's also the primary reason why I no longer bow hunt. I nailed a real nice basket 6 pointer years ago with my bow. Clean pass through, arrow imbedded into the ground 6" and was covered in red blood (I could see THAT!). But the buck jumped up, did a 180° in the air, and took off. I tried and tried to follow the blood trail and lost it. I searched and searched, and gave up the blood trail idea and started focusing on hoof prints. I searched and searched until sun set, and was just totally heartbroken.

I primarily a rifle hunter and need that 100% guaranteed... BANG... FLOP... type of hit. One shot, one kill. A .308 bullet behind the front leg straight into the chest is all that it takes.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

They do make a blood flash light. Supposed to make blood stand out. I just brought one...
Old 11-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Spike

https://enchroma.com/ Get a pair of these.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Spike

Check the rates on colorblindness the percentage of it in the male population will surprise most for sure. I have it and have always leaned toward our shotgun seasons for ease of recovery, but the affliction affects many men more than women. Red tinted glasses help also a red contact lense is also helpful.