Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting partner - what to do

Old 11-05-2019, 06:20 AM
Spike

Default Hunting partner - what to do

Just some background first. This is my 3rd year hunting. My folks purchased about 40 acres so I started and have really enjoyed it so far

I have a friend who has been hunting a long time that I have taking out a good bit over 3 year, whitetail and turkey. He has taught me some good things and appreciate it, however here is a list of things that has been bothering me and its not enjoyable hunting with him because of
1. He took probably one of the better spots on land and would probably get mad if asked him to sit at another spot
2. We found a nice stand from previous owner, he took the stand to his other land and never asked
3. I had a nice buck on trail camera so he set a camera up and wants to keep throwing out bait
4. He wants to put a food plot out next year ( but near his stand)
5. He keeps asking to go up to land without me
6. Turkey hunting, he will not let me do any calling, because I suck right, and he is great
7. I had a chance to shoot a nice gobbler, but he wanted to try to call in 2 at a time to both shoot

We got into last week and he is mad, but I believe it would probably be better just to cut ties now. I don't want to lose as friend because we have been friends long time. Anyway just wanted to vent and get some thoughts

Thanks
Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

You own the land... Or your parents do.... But you're managing it. Man up and manage it.

If he wants a place to hunt he'll follow your rules. Otherwise he can pack up and head out.

-Jake
Old 11-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Spike

Thanks Jake, will do. Like I said, mainly wanted to vent my frustration
Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, he is NOT being a friend period
getting access to private land is a privilege, NOT a right
and he should be thankful and respectful to ANY wish or request you have for him, if not,
tell him go find some place else to hunt
odds are this will change his mind, or NOT, either way
, you should not be tolerating this behavior from him,

as for calling turkeys, it IS a skill, and you get it by DOING IT< so NOT letting you call, is NOT helping you in the big picture
so, I would part ways with hunting with him on them period, unless your only goal is shooting and NOT HUNTING them yourself!

and STEALING a stand without permission is just that stealing?
that sort of shows the person character to me? and NOT a good one!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
I agree, he is NOT being a friend period
getting access to private land is a privilege, NOT a right
and he should be thankful and respectful to ANY wish or request you have for him, if not,
tell him go find some place else to hunt
odds are this will change his mind, or NOT, either way
, you should not be tolerating this behavior from him,

as for calling turkeys, it IS a skill, and you get it by DOING IT< so NOT letting you call, is NOT helping you in the big picture
so, I would part ways with hunting with him on them period, unless your only goal is shooting and NOT HUNTING them yourself!

and STEALING a stand without permission is just that stealing?
that sort of shows the person character to me? and NOT a good one!
Appreciate the response mrbb. I have spoking to a few other friends who have took him and they also though he was the worst person to hunt with

Thanks for the tip on Turkeys as well, that's what I was thinking.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Time to find a new hunting partner. He is using you and stealing from you in the process. Cut and run before it gets worse and he starts hunting on his own and brings his buddies. Also if the property is not posted do so immediately and require written permission to hunt.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by huntingva0004
Just some background first. This is my 3rd year hunting. My folks purchased about 40 acres so I started and have really enjoyed it so far

I have a friend who has been hunting a long time that I have taking out a good bit over 3 year, whitetail and turkey. He has taught me some good things and appreciate it, however here is a list of things that has been bothering me and its not enjoyable hunting with him because of
1. He took probably one of the better spots on land and would probably get mad if asked him to sit at another spot
2. We found a nice stand from previous owner, he took the stand to his other land and never asked
3. I had a nice buck on trail camera so he set a camera up and wants to keep throwing out bait
4. He wants to put a food plot out next year ( but near his stand)
5. He keeps asking to go up to land without me
6. Turkey hunting, he will not let me do any calling, because I suck right, and he is great
7. I had a chance to shoot a nice gobbler, but he wanted to try to call in 2 at a time to both shoot

We got into last week and he is mad, but I believe it would probably be better just to cut ties now. I don't want to lose as friend because we have been friends long time. Anyway just wanted to vent and get some thoughts

Thanks
I agree, you don't have a friend, you have a leach! A friend wouldn't just assume he can do what he wants to do on your parents land, that is not how a friend acts. Cut your losses now. I suspect you will find a new friend who will really be a friend because he cares about you and not what you can give him. Give him his walking papers on hunting the land, tell him it isn't working out for you,then you will find out how much of a friend he is. While you are at it, tell him to bring back the stand he stole off your property and in good condition. The longer you tolerate him, the worse he will get.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-05-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty much what everybody above said. Your house, your rules. He doesn't have to like your rules but he does have to follow them. If not, time for him to leave. What kind of turkey call are you using. I've found that I have a great weakness for box calls.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Pretty much what everybody above said. Your house, your rules. He doesn't have to like your rules but he does have to follow them. If not, time for him to leave. What kind of turkey call are you using. I've found that I have a great weakness for box calls.
Thanks for everyone reply, I agree with all

Yes, I have been using a box call and think I was doing just fine, I get calls back. Its just he believes to be best at everything
Old 11-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

So you were OK with all that when you needed his help?

Did you ever hunt his land with him in his hunting spots before you got your own?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.