HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting partner - what to do (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/422100-hunting-partner-what-do.html)

huntingva0004 11-06-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan (Post 4364050)
The way I read/remember it, didn't sound like any stealing. Him and his friend found a stand some trespasser gave away. His ex friend put it in his own car when they left and I didn't hear any declarations the OP cared or wanted to keep it. Probably let his ex friend carry it all the way out of the woods, put it in his car and take it home. Now he is practicing his break up lines on the internet he wishes HE had it.

I can agree with your mention of 'being blunt' with him. Probably the best option

And the stand issue is not really what its about, I have plenty of those. It was just one of many disrespectful things. I don't see it as stealing because I was there and did not say anything

Bob H in NH 11-06-2019 08:31 AM

Sounds to me that he isn't into hunting but killing and him killing is all that matters. That's not a hunting friend. I've had one like that, actually came as a friend of a friend. He always got mad if someone else shot a deer, would grab the first decent spot when we scouted, then get mad if we later found a better spot and he already had hung his stand. We actually discussed going on an outfitted WT hunt once, with bows, the place had a 125 pt minimum. End result was we didn't go, one reason was he stated he was shooting whatever he wanted an would gladly pay the fine.

I actually bowed out since he was related to my friend (who WAS a good hunting partner), and figured friend vs family is not a good decision to put him in.

dhasemann 11-06-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by huntingva0004 (Post 4363971)
Just some background first. This is my 3rd year hunting. My folks purchased about 40 acres so I started and have really enjoyed it so far

I have a friend who has been hunting a long time that I have taking out a good bit over 3 year, whitetail and turkey. He has taught me some good things and appreciate it, however here is a list of things that has been bothering me and its not enjoyable hunting with him because of
1. He took probably one of the better spots on land and would probably get mad if asked him to sit at another spot
2. We found a nice stand from previous owner, he took the stand to his other land and never asked
3. I had a nice buck on trail camera so he set a camera up and wants to keep throwing out bait
4. He wants to put a food plot out next year ( but near his stand)
5. He keeps asking to go up to land without me
6. Turkey hunting, he will not let me do any calling, because I suck right, and he is great
7. I had a chance to shoot a nice gobbler, but he wanted to try to call in 2 at a time to both shoot

We got into last week and he is mad, but I believe it would probably be better just to cut ties now. I don't want to lose as friend because we have been friends long time. Anyway just wanted to vent and get some thoughts

Thanks

This brings to mind an old saying. Beggars cannot be choosers. Its your land. You should get the best spot or it should be your choice. I hunt on a friends property and I always offer him to hunt a spot before I chose it. I am the beggar and know my place. We never have any issues and share costs on all the hunting improvements we do food plot, stands, cams, etc. and share everything. I think your friend is not being a very good friend.

Cub Slayer 11-06-2019 11:55 AM

I have a 40-acre piece of hunting land (two actually, and another 20) that I hunt. I bring friends, or my kids, but we always hunt together. When my friend hunts, we agree up front to either divide the quarry by region, or one of us gets the right of first refusal. We never separate except on the rare instance where I'm trying to drive game to him. Kids always get first rights.

This guy sounds like a slug. As a fairly new hunter myself, I can appreciate your desire to have a mentor, but a true mentor would go with you to help YOU hunt, not get himself some goodies. Even after only six years of hunting, I'm personally more than happy to let my guest shoot - its fun either way.

If you lived up here, I'd say let's get together and be inexperienced as a team!

Ultradog MN 11-07-2019 12:32 AM

I agree with the others that he's not treating you like a friend should.
I do think there are a couple of things you might consider though.
If you are going to cut him off this year that might be a little harsh. I can imagine having my license bought, my plans made and my hopes up only to be told I can not hunt - almost at the last minute.
That would be a crushing blow and may make him vindictive.
If you two already have your plans made it might make his selfishness a little more tolerable if you know this is his last hunt with you and you tell him AFTER this hunt that next year he won't get to go.
Another thing that comes to mind is the deer plot.
If he has a tractor, plow and disc or tiller and is willing to use it on the plot, that is not a thing to be taken for granted.
If that is the case you might tell him he can hunt if he does the plot but you two are going to swap stand locations. And mean it!
If he has no equipment it's a different story.
Ultimately it is all about standing up for yourself which reading between the lines it doesn't sound like you've done enough of with him.

Oldtimr 11-07-2019 03:17 AM

Good grief man, a little harsh!! The guy should be told post haste to gather up his gear and hit the road. Why would you worry about being harsh to an a-hole like his so called friend?. The best way to remove a thorn is quickly. What is with this woosey poosey don't hurt his feeling crap I am seeing here. You cannot stand up for yourself and be a wuss! Who cares if the clown has made plans, he can make different plans, especially since his plans do not include the guy who owns the property, all he does is order him around on his own land. Dump him now and quickly! I am still waiting to see if the OP has made a decision yet.

Champlain Islander 11-07-2019 04:29 AM

I agree it isn't like you are making it so he can't hunt. Lots of people do very well hunting on their own land....land that their taxes pay for. In other words federal or state land. Plenty of it if someone is willing to do a little work.

huntingva0004 11-07-2019 05:35 AM

Yea he has other places to hunt, so not cutting him off. And I do have access to equipment for a plot, so not worried with that either

I actually spoke to him last weekend a little, as he was bugging me about checking his camera. I told him then that I was going to hunt alone during muzzleloader, which is usually best for rut here, and I wanted a chance to harvest the nice buck. And that we could both go back 'sometime' during rifle. He was pissy, so haven't really spoke to him since. I should see him in person soon, I plan on discussing then rather than texting

huntingva0004 11-07-2019 09:25 AM

He has some other hunting spots so not worried with that. Also I have access to equipment for plot

I did speak with him last weekend and stated I wanted to hunt muzzleloader alone, as that is best time to harvest the buck I am looking for. Even stated we could both go back during rifle. He was pissy so have not really spoke since. I should see him soon and talk to in person rather than text about all this. I am not worried about it anymore, everyone has helped me make my choice. If he does come back its my way or highway
Thanks!

Oldtimr 11-07-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by huntingva0004 (Post 4364140)
He has some other hunting spots so not worried with that. Also I have access to equipment for plot

I did speak with him last weekend and stated I wanted to hunt muzzleloader alone, as that is best time to harvest the buck I am looking for. Even stated we could both go back during rifle. He was pissy so have not really spoke since. I should see him soon and talk to in person rather than text about all this. I am not worried about it anymore, everyone has helped me make my choice. If he does come back its my way or highway
Thanks!

Don't back down, remember you have been getting the shaft from him. He is not your friend, he is a user.