HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Lost deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/422089-lost-deer.html)

Thom55 11-03-2019 01:46 PM

Lost deer

shot a buck with a 50 cal muzzle loader about 50 yards Knocked him down after about 5 min tried to get up laid back down for about 5 min then got up and walked off. There was hair and blood where it was laying and found another spot of blood and that was it

Oldtimr 11-03-2019 02:22 PM

So what is your point, did you track him or did you just throw in the towel? If you didn't go further than the last blood spot you need to be looking now. They don't just fall down and die most times. If after 5 minutes he tried to get up why weren't you reloaded and give him another shot?

Thom55 11-03-2019 02:43 PM

Looked all day for him and can’t find anymore blood

mrbb 11-03-2019 03:09 PM

yeah why didn;t you shoot a second time??
have you thought about looking to see if there are anyone in your area with a deer tracking dog(that is if legal)
be surprised how well a dog can track a deer!
and there are clubs of these deer tracking dogs all over the USA
when I hunt out of state(states legal) I actually keep numbers on hand in ever needed in advance, as never know, better to have options than loose a deer IMO

but I;m a firm believer in taking a secon d shot if a deer TRIES to get up, ain;t worried about loosing a little meat, over loosing a whole deer?

Thom55 11-03-2019 03:25 PM

Ya should have shot again but I had already shot a pig and only took two bullets stupid move

JW 11-03-2019 03:27 PM

Find somebody with a blood tracking dog.

Try the local VDD guys or gals.
Drahthaar.com

JW

Bocajnala 11-03-2019 03:45 PM

Yep. Dog is the way to go

Also: learn from your mistakes and don't make them again. Next time have sufficient ammo. And shoot until the game is expired.

We all mess up. What's important is what we do after the mistakes.

-Jake

Mickey Finn 11-03-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4363881)
Find somebody with a blood tracking dog.

Try the local VDD guys or gals.
Drahthaar.com

JW

Yes, get a Drahthaar on it. Even the next morning it shouldn't be a problem.

CalHunter 11-03-2019 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4363882)
Yep. Dog is the way to go

Also: learn from your mistakes and don't make them again. Next time have sufficient ammo. And shoot until the game is expired.

We all mess up. What's important is what we do after the mistakes.

-Jake

Lot of wisdom there. For the OP, best of luck in finding your buck. Let us know how it turns out.

vapahunter 11-04-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thom55 (Post 4363880)
Ya should have shot again but I had already shot a pig and only took two bullets stupid move

Why did you only take two bullets with you? They wiegh little and take up no room.