Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer Blowing / Not seeing deer >

Deer Blowing / Not seeing deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Blowing / Not seeing deer

Old 10-12-2019, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Blowing / Not seeing deer

Does this really matter if a deer blows? Will it ruin the hunt?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am good about my scent and wind direction. Trail cameras have deer morning and evening. I go to hunt and nothing. I don't get it.

Frustrating
Old 10-12-2019, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

If the deer is blowing, and you don't see it it is more than likely that it has caught your scent. The deer may have crossed your trail to your stand, or the wind has shifted. Either way, you are not likely to see that deer or any others in the area, cause the blowing alerts the other deer within hearing range that there is danger in the area.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your not going to see any deer if they are blowing at you. Are they spotting you entering the woods or picking up your scent, some detail would help. Getting blowed at means they, without a doubt, are aware of your presence and are warning other deer. If one gets wary, flips it tail around, and trots off that isn't going to ruin the day. Deer can be skiddish and act that way over nothing, but blowing means they are very aware of a threat.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, if deer are alerting by snorting away from you, there picking up something that is making them nervous enough to sound an alarm!

it could be as simple as the deer are actually watching you enter the woods from where ever they are sitting before you get there
or again, could be there catching your scent
you say your pretty good about your scent, but what exactly does this mean
a deer has an incredible sense of smell
if you clothing or your hands, come in contact with certain things, (like fueling up a vehicle,)
fuel on your boots or hands or clothing can stick even after being washed in a good scent free detergent!

also keep in mind some deer are just a LOT more sensitive to scents than deer in other places
I personally always took great extremes to try and beat there nose
I always showered just before heading out, using scent reducing products, (lots of baking soda too)
and then carried all my hunting gear in scent free containers, and dressed , then spray down with a scent , so called scent eliminator LOL, just before going into the woods!, and if a LONG walk in, would carry some to spray me down again, and I will stop OFTEN to NOT Break a sweat going in!
sweating is like defeating all your work in scent control IMO!

ALL my hunting gear was NEVER ever wore any where but HUNTING, it was kept separate from all other things in a separate room I dedicated to hunting clothing and gear I wanted scent free!
I know everyone cannot do this, but, I will say I seldom if ever got busted by deer, no matter what way the wind was blowing!

NOW< if deer are NOT scenting you
it could be deer are seeing you in your stand, or on the ground, as your NOT stating how your hunting, on the ground or in a stand.
Movement is a number one thing deer notice IMO after scent!
if your in a tree, and you don';t have a god stand site, you will stick out like a sore thumb, same as on the ground, and deer KNOW there area, so things different can get there attention,
add in some odd scents and or a bunch of movements, and you now have very alert deer!
next will be again entering and leaving the area
are deer WATCHING you as you do so!
can you try entering from a different location/way
do you SNEAK into your area or just plain walk in and not pay as much attention as you do< ??

hunting is a skill and like all skills, it takes practice and paying attention to get better, and a endless adaptation to changing your tactic's to be successful
as what worked ONCE might not again, and same with where you hunt, its a never ending game of learning , and trying to BEAT the species your after!
just keep trying
and if your area get a LOT of deer snorting, just it a rest and hunt else where
BUT deer snort all the time, and they WILL come back
its NOT a once they snort they move on else where deal
They spent there lives there, there NOT packing up and moving to a unknown area again
they WILL how ever change how they go into there area, be it at different hours, or in different travel routes thru it
but they DON"T flee a home turf, just due to they snorted at something, or deer would NEVER have a home range

I have killed countless deer, JUST after one deer snorted and then new one's showed up
and have had countless deer in food plots snorting at things behind the tree line and never left the food plot and deer continued to come out !
snorting isn't a done deal when hunting, but you DO want to try and find out WHY there snorting and make adjustments from there!
keep at it, you'll learn as time goes by!
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had deer blowing at me in the dark several times in the dark when I was walking to my stand. I also had one on the ground sometimes within 30 or 40 minutes afterward.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you break a twig in the woods while still hunting deer, you can fool them into thinking you're a turkey, by making a few clucks and yelps.

Of course there is the "snort wheeze" call of a buck. I believe --- from past experience --- that is mainly a call from a buck to stop a doe from running away from him in the rut --- Though sometimes it's used as a territorial warning against other bucks.

I like to snort wheeze with just my mouth and air from my lungs (or you can buy a snort wheeze call). It might make a buck stop for a shot while he is chasing a doe...or otherwise possibly call in other bucks.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

just because a deer blows it doesnt mean the hunts over...........sometimes the deer doesnt know what you are but youve alerted it somehow. In my experience when a deer knows its a human it just ghosts out and you never even know a deer was there (especially bucks).

if a deer blows at me and I cant see it, i always blow back. Ive had deer come in to me before thinking im another deer.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Most likely the deer caught my scent somehow someway. I hunt in a ground blind. it's so frustrating. I didn't do anything out of the normal. Wind was favorable. Clothing washed. I washed. Sprayed with Dead Down Wind. I know they don't see me when I walk in because they generally come in front of me. Maybe they are just really smart lol. Is it worth trying again in the morning?

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 10-12-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe its your blind
have you washed it? lots of smells in commercial things made
I always used to wash my pop up blinds far in advance, with scent shampoo's , treat them with UV treatments(deer can see UV colors and a BIG blind that has UV colors will stand out like a spot light IMO)
and then, I would find a nice BIG muddy puddle and roll the blind about in it, let it dry, and then store in a scent free area!

the amount of noise setting up a blind can also alert near by deer and make them nervous when traveling in the area they heard them in earlier!

do you set it up every time you go in and not leave it, giving deer a chance to get used to it

as Blind set up, changes the lay out of the land and will make some deer very nervous!

I always used to try and set blinds up a few weeks in advance to allow deer to get used to them
if worried about getting stolen on public lands, Maybe SKIP the blind and make a more natural one
don't need a commercial blind to kill deer!

keep in mind, that deer on public lands that get pressure will be more sensitive to things, than deer less hassled!
won't call them smarter, just learning to survive is all!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86
If you break a twig in the woods while still hunting deer, you can fool them into thinking you're a turkey, by making a few clucks and yelps.

Of course there is the "snort wheeze" call of a buck. I believe --- from past experience --- that is mainly a call from a buck to stop a doe from running away from him in the rut --- Though sometimes it's used as a territorial warning against other bucks.

I like to snort wheeze with just my mouth and air from my lungs (or you can buy a snort wheeze call). It might make a buck stop for a shot while he is chasing a doe...or otherwise possibly call in other bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUovwnAleL0

Oh brother! Please stop with the fake this is what I do nonsense. Some of have hunted for over 50 years . Then there is the pretend to be a turkey BS.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-12-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.