Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting thick cover.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
I find the deer in my area travel and bed in the laurels, especially once the shooting starts with the season opener.
Have you ever hunted in laurels during rain? I suspect they like hiding there when their senses cannot pickup movement and sound in the woods. I would also hope rain provides a bit of sound cover when stalking through laurels.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

I hate hunting in the rain, and I avoid it at all costs. For years I hunted in any weather condition, but I found that steady rain, or heavy snow fall is a waste of my time cause I rarely saw anything and all i got was soaked. Now that I am retire, I can pick the days I want to hunt and not be forced to hunt on the only days I had off from work.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually, the only time I still hunt is in light rain or early when the dew settles. It knocks down your scent somewhat and helps keep the noise down.

Hunting in heavy rain is no fun at all.

I hunted with some Czech hunters and they have a tactic I've never really seen before, They rush a hedgerow or a stand of timber at nearly a full run. I've been with multiple guides who do this or lead me on a hunt using this tactic. It was never really successful. I always wondered if I could even get off a clean shot huffing and puffing from the rush (run). Maybe it is something that only works on Roe Deer, Roe deer are as apt to hide as there are to run. Maybe the rush (run) is to flush the hiders?

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-28-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Usually, the only time I still hunt is in light rain or early when the dew settles. It knocks down your scent somewhat and helps keep the noise down.

Hunting in heavy rain is no fun at all.

I hunted with some Czech hunters and they have a tactic I've never really seen before, They rush a hedgerow or a stand of timber at nearly a full run. I've been with multiple guides who do this or lead me on a hunt using this tactic. It was never really successful. I always wondered if I could even get off a clean shot huffing and puffing from the rush (run). Maybe it is something that only works on Roe Deer, Roe deer are as apt to hide as there are to run. Maybe the rush (run) is to flush the hiders?
Somehow I thought that light, misty rain and dew would enhance a deer's sense of smell, almost having the effect of licking their nose by activating otherwise dry sources of scent (think of how well you can smell the earth right after a rain)---whereas sustained or heavy rain washes scent away.

As for the Czechs, it seems to me deer would be more likely to let you storm by them if you were at a dead run, unless you were liable to run into them. I've seen deer in neighborhoods staring at me from thick cover when I was walking, bolting only when I stopped at looked right back at them. Just a dumb idea trying to imitate dogs---the only difference being that the dogs are picking up a scent trail and tracking the deer, heading straight for them. We hunters seldom manage that.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A hunter has a decent chance of spooking a deer from it's bed during a heavy, steady rain. They'll sometimes bed down in dense brushy areas during a heavy rain --- like for example --- hiding under honeysuckle bushels.

Course...blood trailing a wounded deer in a heavy rain might possibly lead to a disappointing outcome.

Last edited by Erno86; 10-29-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by younggun308
Somehow I thought that light, misty rain and dew would enhance a deer's sense of smell, almost having the effect of licking their nose by activating otherwise dry sources of scent (think of how well you can smell the earth right after a rain)---whereas sustained or heavy rain washes scent away.

As for the Czechs, it seems to me deer would be more likely to let you storm by them if you were at a dead run, unless you were liable to run into them. I've seen deer in neighborhoods staring at me from thick cover when I was walking, bolting only when I stopped at looked right back at them. Just a dumb idea trying to imitate dogs---the only difference being that the dogs are picking up a scent trail and tracking the deer, heading straight for them. We hunters seldom manage that.
A hunting dog's sense of smell is also enhanced during a light, misty rain and dew --- Amongst other things --- Good fer rabbit huntin'.

Last edited by Erno86; 10-29-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added a word