HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Looking for advice for a new cold weather Parka (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/421893-looking-advice-new-cold-weather-parka.html)

Duckbutter48 10-07-2019 06:59 AM

Looking for advice for a new cold weather Parka

Struggling with what to buy. I'm looking for a cold weather, tree stand parka. Waterproof with a hood. I care don't about a specific camo pattern and orange could even be an option.

I need a 2XL-Tall which limits my choices. It seems like Cabelas no longer makes the MTO50 clothing in talls, plus I've read on forums they aren't as good as they used to be. I'm not excited by Sitka because I just feel like I'm buying an overpriced brand name, plus they have so many options I'm not even sure which parka would be best.(could be wrong, since I have no personal experience with their clothing)

Has anyone tried the MidwayUSA branded coats? They have a couple that may work but its hard to buy sight unseen. Any other options that is working for folks?

mrbb 10-07-2019 08:25 AM

well, if Raven wear(of alberta canada) was still in business , they would be my first suggestion, they used to custom make/fit things and about as warm a stuff as possible to own!, the very warmest and quietiest gear I own, sat many minus 20 days from before sun rise to after dark in it and stayed warm on all day sits in Alberta and like COLD places!
wasn't cheap, but Darn it was good stuff

But they closed when Sue retired!

Sleeping Indian makes good stuff too, all depends on what your willing to spend!

https://www.sleepingindianusa.com/

I own both cabela's MT050, there wooltmate series parks(and bibs and even coveralls, and a few other things pants and a few other brands gear, spent a small fortune on things over the yrs LOL)

and they don;t come close to what Raven wear

I think there wooltimate srtuff was warmer than there MT050 stuff, but a heavier bulkier to wear

Over the yrs I also tried them body socks deals, wearing lighter gear and then sitting on one of them, like the heater body suit, worked pretty well, for all day sits in very cold weather, and can pack in pretty easy too!

so might be worth looking into!
https://heaterbodysuit.com/

also you can still find some things for sale on Ebay from Raven wear!

WrackMaster 10-09-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48 (Post 4362212)
Struggling with what to buy. I'm looking for a cold weather, tree stand parka. Waterproof with a hood. I care don't about a specific camo pattern and orange could even be an option.

I need a 2XL-Tall which limits my choices. It seems like Cabelas no longer makes the MTO50 clothing in talls, plus I've read on forums they aren't as good as they used to be. I'm not excited by Sitka because I just feel like I'm buying an overpriced brand name, plus they have so many options I'm not even sure which parka would be best.(could be wrong, since I have no personal experience with their clothing)

Has anyone tried the MidwayUSA branded coats? They have a couple that may work but its hard to buy sight unseen. Any other options that is working for folks?

This was recommended on another site. I don't have one, myself, but looks very interesting. Read the reviews. I do have the Cabelas wooltimate, that I like a lot.
https://www.firstlite.com/collection...sulated-jacket

elkman30 11-29-2019 10:19 AM

mrbb, you must have a lot of patience to sit all day in cold weather. :happy0001:

mrbb 11-29-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by elkman30 (Post 4365630)
mrbb, you must have a lot of patience to sit all day in cold weather. :happy0001:

HAHA,m and thanks,
I do know a few times or many, I used to ask myself some serious questions about my sanity, can recall sitting up in Alberta minus 30 temps from an hour plus before sunrise to after dark, and be paying a pretty penny to do it<
I'm sure it sounds crazy I bet to some folks, but at the time I really enjoyed it
and it sure made me appreciate better gear, that worked better!

hardcastonly 11-29-2019 01:35 PM

I,ve spent 5 decades hunting in a wide range of temps, I purchased several parkas over that time,
now obviously we need to define (cold/temps) to me thats under 10F- down to maybe -30F with wind chill temps
use gortex and synthetic insulation like thermaloft , get a parka with a hood
just some well-proven tips you need several layers,
you may be sitting near motionless for hours,
bring a few high-calorie snacks youll be warmer if not hungry
carry an insulated pad to sit on,

Therm-A-SEAT Traditional Series Insulated Hunting Seat Cushion

moisture from perspiration or rain is your enemy,
Gortex is useful, dressing in layers is smart,
thermal under wear is well worth the cost.
you want a good thermal vest
https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/1011213...SABEgLZ4_D_BwE
that can be put on over a flannel shirt
https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-f...jac-89327.html
and under a parka
real down insulation is useless if it gets wet.
a long waist flannel shirt over long underwear helps a great deal,

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ref=prd2816402
one common huge mistake is in trying to exert yourself through hard hiking, while bundled up
,you build up heat sweat,while exercising, let excess heat out you can,t afford to sweat.
get clothing moist and it drastically reduces thermal efficiency
as a result of the moisture build up your cold shortly after you stop,
open the parka at least partially while hiking .
don,t put on the vest or balaclava untill you cool from hiking in,

carry a fleece balaclava to put on after you cool down from hiking , keeping your head and neck from losing heat goes a long way towards keeping warm
one tip, is to buy the best quality you can afford in at least one size larger than you might expect, a loose fit has several big advantages,
(1) dead trapped air adds significant heat retention
(2) having room between the inner parka and flannel shirt for a synthetic down vest to fit loosely helps a great deal
(3) have a backpack to store a vest, balaclava and rain poncho
a wide brim felt hat keeps the suns glare out of your eyes, but buy one a size or two, too large you may need it over a balaclava

mrbb 11-29-2019 02:12 PM

I will also add a few other tips I found that helped me stay still and longer on stands in colder weather
again I personally don't like goretex as a outer layer in VERY cold, it gets way too noisy for me, as it gets stiff and sounds like paper being wrinkled IMO

wool and fleece work tons better at staying quiet and flexiable, and wear a wind proof layer under it and no noise again , yet keeps you very warm

as for tips, I personally found using a kidney belt(started using them on MX bikes in the 80's when I raced) or a back brace that has the flexiable waist like band adjust!

they allow for longer sits as they help keep your back stronger, giving you better posture with less effort
THEN< you can also add a heat pack under them over your kidneys and lower back, and that alone adds a LOT of heat to your core temp, careful too close to skin they can even burn you,, but can make hours on stand a LOT more comfortable

and again, using a hand muff, and adding heat packs inside of that, will keep your hands a LOT warmer
if you do it right they allow you to keep your rifle in your arms and hands in side warm and super fast to then get rifle up if needed to, with little movements, or noise

placing heat packs with some duct take to the back of your neck can do wonders too, helps again on posture and not getting you a stiff neck if winds ot things cause you to bend to see in some directions
can literally take to ANY part of you you like then LOL
maybe some things others never thought of, as I have never really known anyone else to use the kidney belts like I do, or not until I told them about em and then m,any do so now LOL

and about any closed cell foam will work for a good seat, and you want CLOSED cell foam, it doesn't hold or absorb water then, if you can find it and buy two sections you can glue a piece of like ply wood in between then and never have to worry about small rocks or such poking thru , if you sit on the ground a lot

OR better yet, if you like to sit on the ground, , try taking and using a portable treetsand seat climber section ONLY
I have a few, I found the summits brand seat, on a lone wolf Wide climber, to about as comfortable as my lazy boy at home, when set up, add some shooting sticks and you can be set for some long shots with a steady rest
trick I found is strapping seat to tree a little better than just the supplied one's
so if you stand up or, it will never slide down or move, and the climber sections are a LOT lighter than a whole stand
allow you hand things off sides like bino's and calls or lunch and have it all handy and be extra comfortable

CalHunter 11-29-2019 04:31 PM

Lot of good advice above. What you're getting is several decades of advice on things often learned the hard way. Dressing in layers makes it much easier to stay warm and dry while also allowing you to shed a layer or 2 if you're hiking or it gets too bulky for shooting. Since you're hunting in a treestand, that will have its' own set of challenges. Are you in a climber, metal ladder treestand or a wood platform treestand?

JW 11-29-2019 05:58 PM

Consider a heated vest such as Milwaukee Tool Heated gear or Banded Heated vest.
Battery powered. Really takes t he chill off and can double as a power station for handheld electronics.
A heated vest works under any coat you so choose.
JW

mrbb 11-30-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4365657)
Consider a heated vest such as Milwaukee Tool Heated gear or Banded Heated vest.
Battery powered. Really takes t he chill off and can double as a power station for handheld electronics.
A heated vest works under any coat you so choose.
JW

the problem I have with powered vest and gear is this, batterys get costly, heavy /annoying to carry, and well, when the battery;'s are dead, wires get STIFF in extreme cold weather, making jackets and such less fun to be wearing
when they work there are nice, but, IMO<
there more a novelty item than tool for the great outdoors where amounts of time can be iffy that your going to be out there!

and to be honest if I was to use one, I would prefer a heated vest, that stays closer to your body
as if your wearing good base layers , just like a cooler, GOOD base layers tend to insulate, and that can mean keep heat from getting in or OUT like a cooler does!
so having the heated item closer to you will do you more good than a jacket over good base layers will, farther from you!
and NOT bashing heated things here, just saying!
I tired a bunch over the yrs, and this is my experiences with them

and again, I snowmobile a LOT, being in minus 10-30 temps going 75+mph and out in these temps hours at a time, both day and night
and while when snowmobiling I don;t need or care about things being quiet, I do take note as to what is or isn't

I also wear wind proof balaclava that is worn under a helmet, they work great and are thin and warm, , some have things called breath boxes, to help keep your breath from fogging up[ a helmet shield, but can also work to NOT fog up a scope, pending type

Many yrs back there was a company that sold exact same things designed 100% to be worn while hunting and would NOT allow air to get into your scope or binoculars
I forget the name ( do have two of em LOL)
and they did work great, but were not the most comfortable to wear all day long!
as this is a real problem in very cold weather, heck, just the temp from your EYE"S when looking thru things in extreme cold can make glass fog up(the mask doens't help there, but does re direct your breath to not fog it)

these are some what similar to what I have , but not exact same model, mine is just a mask, that fits over things, these seem to have a mask that attaches to a balaclava
but here is a link to them

https://coldavenger.com/collections/military