HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/421783-injuries-crossing-barbed-wire.html)

AlexG1080 09-19-2019 12:09 PM

Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Hey Everyone,

I moved to Montana a few years ago and finally gained access to some hunting property on a ranch. To get to my hunting spots, I have to cross barbed wire about 3 times. This is a new activity for me and I am clearly not good at it. I cut my hand pretty good my second time out and even snagged my clothes a few times. Going over the top seems too dangerous for my privates and going in between causes snags on clothing. Going under feels safest but I have to get on my stomach, which will be harder when snow is on the ground or if there is debris. Do you guys have any tips for how to safely cross fences? Also, I am curious as to how many of you have ruined clothing or acquired injuries while crossing barbed wire fences. I imagine this is a problem for a lot of bird hunters, or anyone hunting on farms. I'm usually hunting alone so I don't have a buddy to help spread out the barbed wire for me to sneak between. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Alex G.

Wingbone 09-20-2019 01:01 AM

I always thought these were a good idea. We used to turkey hunt on a tightly fenced farm. If I was still hunting that farm, I'd have these:
T-post steps

AlexG1080 09-20-2019 08:08 AM

I saw those, but my ranch has the traditional wooden posts. I saw a product called the fence devil, but it looks huge and bulky and its $180 dollars, so i'm not gonna go for that option.

Bob H in NH 09-20-2019 09:00 AM

Still have a scar on the back of my leg from crossing one as a kid bird hunting, on a hill, with snow. Lead foot slipped, barb went through pants and into leg. Took me a while to get off that! Luckily I wasn't more "centered" on that wire.

rogerstv 09-20-2019 09:09 AM

At 51, I've crossed many without much issue. Torn some good clothing when not careful. So, I try to take into account baggy clothing. Hike it up!! Only got cut up once as a child when I fell into one off of a large round hay bale. Hooked my leg on a barb. Still have the scar.

There is really nothing to it provided the fence post is sturdy and the wire tight. Climb at a post. Use the post to support most of your weight. Place first foot a couple strands up. Place both hands on top of the post. Lean into the post. Second foot goes on top strand. Step up and jump over. I generally don't climb down the other side as it adds more time to get tangled. T-posts are much tougher than wooden. Old fences are tough too as they don't provide much support for your weight.

If going through, pick a loose spot between posts. Tougher when done alone. If you have a partner, then no issue. Have them pull apart.

I rarely crawl under.

Erno86 09-20-2019 10:08 AM

I kinda favor Rogerstv suggestions on crossing barbed wire fences. I also look for blowdown trees that have collapsed the fence. But I did have a hunting accident, while I was springtime turkey hunting in the woods on public hunting land. I knew I was near the barbed wire fenced boundary line (from previous hunting excursions) that separated the two public hunting lands. But I didn't see it until one of my snake booted feet tripped over a barbed wire strand, that was only 6" inches high off the ground and covered over an hidden in mile-a-minute weed.

I sustained no injury except pride...when I was propelled forward, including my daypack --- that I mistakenly left the waist belt for it unbuckled --- flew over my head an arms and knocked the loaded shotgun out of my hands. The shotgun & daypack flew forward in the air about 10 feet and fell in the leaves and weeds.

As most of us know...firearms should be unloaded when crossing fences.

Oldtimr 09-20-2019 03:32 PM

"I also look for blowdown trees that have collapsed the fence."

Ridiculous and nonsense! Farmers check their fences and repair areas where they are pushed down by blow downs and any other reason the fence is breached. Fences are to keep things in and barbed wire is to keep cattle in, no farmer is going to allow a breach in a fence that is containing cattle.

Champlain Islander 09-21-2019 10:14 AM

I find a place where I can crawl under, a gate I can climb over or as a last resort spread the fence and slide over between the strands.

Zeak 09-25-2019 08:30 AM

Barb wire

Don't use the method of climbing the barb wire by a post! If the staple pulls out you going to get a nasty cut, my sister did that as a kid and ended up having to get 12 stiches. I'm a farmer so not to do that!

Mike Salyards 09-25-2019 10:55 AM

How about go thru the gate? If it is that hard on you, you should error on the side of safety