Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting? >

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CalHunter
If your typical hunting is less than 800 yards, there's not much need for a 6.5.

My point being the same could be said about the .270(or any other number of options) if someone is a fan of 6.5s....

It's also worth mentioning that 6.5s have been around a good deal longer than .277s...

-Jake
Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
It's also worth mentioning that 6.5s have been around a good deal longer than .277s...

-Jake
LOL - I doubt we have many hunters around that were alive when either were introduced !!!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RaySendero
LOL - I doubt we have many hunters around that were alive when either were introduced !!!

I'm sure at some point around 1930 somebody said "why do i need a .270? I've already got a x,y,z"

I'm glad the marketing and hype managed to carry it through.

-Jake
Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CalHunter If your typical hunting is less than 800 yards, there's not much need for a 6.5.

My point being the same could be said about the .270(or any other number of options) if someone is a fan of 6.5s....

-Jake
I think you're confusing the context of my above statement with that of others who have been arguing against a 6.5 Creed. My above comment was in the context of the OP already owning a 270 and thus comparing the performance of a 270 versus a 6.5 Creed. Under 800 yards, the difference is minor and would not justify "needing" to buy a 6.5 Creed. Over 800 yards, it would be a different story. I also pointed out there was a difference between needing a new rifle (caliber) versus just wanting one and then told the OP to enjoy his new rifle.

For the record, I happen to like both Creedmoors (6.5 and 6mm) and could very well end up acquiring a rifle in one or possibly both calibers even though i already own rifles in 270 and 243. Like the OP, my acquiring one or both Creedmoors would be more because I want one rather than I need one. And wanting, as you earlier pointed out, is still a valid justification. Best of all, my wife happens to agree with that "justification."

And unfortunately, if flags keeps talking about 6.5 Swedes and 9.3's, etc. I may end up having less space in my gunsafe, possibly even having to buy another safe. Darn flags.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter

And unfortunately, if flags keeps talking about 6.5 Swedes and 9.3's, etc. I may end up having less space in my gunsafe, possibly even having to buy another safe. Darn flags.
Go shoot the 6.5x55 and the 9.3x62. You can thank me later. Great calibers that most Americans know very little about.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do own a 1913 Carl Gustaf M96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55...and that is one sweet recoiling rifle.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure at some point around 1930 somebody said "why do i need a .270? I've already got a x,y,z"

I'm glad the marketing and hype managed to carry it through.

-Jake
Yeah and I'm sure many around 1890s were thinking that 6.5 bullet should be bigger.

Last edited by RaySendero; 09-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I do like the 6.5 bullets I’m not on the creedmore craze but I’m going to build a 6.5-06AI later this year. It’s going to be my long range shooter. I’ve got friends who either love the creed or don’t but there’s plenty of great calibers out there i just prefer to be different good luck
Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Spike

Wife has the same one you are wanting to buy.She likes it accurate,not much recoil
Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Variables

It’s not the gun, it’s the gunner. All depends on the hunting you want to do with it. Used a .270 for years on whitetail and always performed well. Lots of big bodied deer from where i’m From so been using a 7mm mag for last 30 years. The size of deer, the ballistics of the caliber, as well as the long sloping ridges I hunt all are factors in choosing caliber. Simple question, Does the 6.5 Creed meet your needs? And how does it compare under those needs to other calibers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.