Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting? >

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Axis in a 30-06 and my hunting buddy has the Creedmoor. Just visited the range with both of them (among others) and would say both are a good purchase in that price range.

Last edited by wallhangr; 09-19-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Bocajnala;4361327]it seems to me that the 6.5 Creed fits that perfectly. With the added bonus of lots of cheap, quality, over the counter rifle and ammo options.

You must be A fan lol.

-Jake[/QUOte
there are countless calibers that fit great for deer, and have cheaper ammo and can be had every where like lets say a .308
from military rounds to civilian, almost every store that sells ammo has it
or what about a 30/06, 30/30, .270
point being if a guy already has a rifle for deer, there is NO real great reason to BUY a 6.5 creedmore, just due to media and marketing hype
its not going to do anything really any differently than a good deer caliber rifle i other calibers!
the average Deer hunter doesn't really shoot there deer rifle a LOT
some do, but most don't!
re inventing the wheel that is already round, like going to a 18-19-2 inch wheel over a 16 inch one on a truck
YUP some pro's for sure,
but how many need them!
as again MOST pick up trucks haul more groceries than they do, heavy loads or trailers!
marketing hype IMO
more than any real major improvements!
been a 1,000 yard match shooter since the late 80's , owned a gun shop and sold thousands of rifles!
so I have some experience in things, more than MOST , not bragging, just saying where I come from!
is a 6.5 creedmore a BAD caliber, NO
but its nothing life changing either!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've not seen any advertising claiming that the Creed will drop deer in it's tracks every time.

-jake
I never said it claimed to!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=mrbb;4361341]
it seems to me that the 6.5 Creed fits that perfectly. With the added bonus of lots of cheap, quality, over the counter rifle and ammo options.

You must be A fan lol.

-Jake[/QUOte
there are countless calibers that fit great for deer, and have cheaper ammo and can be had every where like lets say a .308

yep...

from military rounds to civilian, almost every store that sells ammo has it
or what about a 30/06, 30/30, .270

Yep... I own and shoot and have taken game with all those... Love them!
point being if a guy already has a rifle for deer, there is NO real great reason to BUY a 6.5 creedmore,
That's a FACT! But definitely a boring approach to gun ownership. But many of us have multiple rifles, i have no less that 15 rifles suitable for deer hunting, and that's not counting muzzleloaders, revolvers, or slug guns...
that same argument can be applied to every option out there pretty much. "I have an 06, there's no need for x,y or z" but it doesn't take away from the qualities of x,y and z..

just due to media and marketing hype

How about due to it being a good option?? Maybe the "media and marketing hype" isn't a factor... Maybe performance is?

its not going to do anything really any differently than a good deer caliber rifle i other calibers!
That's a FACT. Again, not sure if it's relevant though.

the average Deer hunter doesn't really shoot there deer rifle a LOT
some do, but most don't!
re inventing the wheel that is already round, like going to a 18-19-2 inch wheel over a 16 inch one on a truck
YUP some pro's for sure,
but how many need them!

I'm glad the powers that be didn't take this approach... I like shooting and hunting with .17s, .22s, .24s, .25s, .26s, .27s, .28s, .30s, .33s, .35s, .375s, .40s, .44s, .45s, .46s, .48s .50s, and .54s.
Would possibly lose interest if variety wasn't a part of it.

as again MOST pick up trucks haul more groceries than they do, heavy loads or trailers!

I'm not sure comparing the 6.5 Creed to a heavy pickup is a good comparison....
marketing hype IMO
I'm not so sure. Is it "hype" if it's factual?
more than any real major improvements!
In an already packed field... The only improvements are small improvements. That doesn't mean we should stop improving.
been a 1,000 yard match shooter since the late 80's , owned a gun shop and sold thousands of rifles!
so I have some experience in things, more than MOST , not bragging, just saying where I come from!
is a 6.5 creedmore a BAD caliber, NO
but its nothing life changing either!
The question was "is it all it's cracked up to be?" And I *think*, just an opinion here, that the answer is yes. I've not seen any of this hype or advertising making any false claims. They made a good product. They advertise it as a good product.

Had the .308 come out in the mid 2000s at the rise of social media and internet forums and endless information it would have been hyped as well. BECAUSE it's a good product.

Hype doesn't last long when things don't work and the Creed has been around long enough to know that it does work.

And for the record, I'll likely never own a Creed. Or a .308 for that matter. The 7mm-08, .300 Savage and .25-06 fill those roles for me and I never see myself needing, or wanting a Creed.

But I don't think it's fair to discredit it because some body in a marketing department is REALLY good at their job.

​​​​​​
-Jake
Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Bocajnala;4361356]
Originally Posted by mrbb

And for the record, I'll likely never own a Creed. Or a .308 for that matter. The 7mm-08, .300 Savage and .25-06 fill those roles for me and I never see myself needing, or wanting a Creed.

But I don't think it's fair to discredit it because some body in a marketing department is REALLY good at their job.

​​​​​​
-Jake
HAHA< and mean this light heartly, no offence meant

but you made a lot of effort to justify this caliber
I own a few hundred rifles and shotguns
so I get the view, that life isn;t about only needing one, and options are nice to have
YOU can say what you like' but the facts are the differences in this caliber and many like it are SMALL, there not huge leaps and bounds on things
SO< what makes them sell a LOT of them
when so many others are so close in things
Marketing
as if folks ONLY stuck with one rifle, the OEM's would all go under, they need to make things exciting and keep sales flowing
like it or not, it is marketing and hype that makes sales
all the more so today where everyone seems to want to be the cool kid with"X" item!
and so impressed with marketing and why big business spend so much money ion it!

I also wasn't comparing the caliber to a HD truck
I was saying this caliber like other calibers, and LIKE wheels of different sizes, really didn;t make the HUGE differences marketing made them out to do
it was about making sales again and SURE there are some FACTS that back up the NEW ITEM
but its NOT like there isn't things darn close to them
would one NEED to jump ship to have a 6.5 creedmore over hat they maybe already have
will a deer know its any deader being shot with a 6.5 creedmore over a different rifle caliber
NO
will most owners use a caliber like this to what it can really DO
NO
when most deer are kill at or under a 100 yards
how efficient of a caliber do you need?
is it marketing or HYPE
we all can make that call IMO
I say more hype and marketing than anything great it t does over other calibers!
shooting far is a skill and knowing your rifle, caliber and many other things and making proper adjustments to it
NO different than you will have to do with this caliber!
anyone that gets into shooting a LOT of ammo down range, most likely isn't saving ALL that much money or caring about doing so, to REAP any HUGE rewards on this caliber either!
good equipment is never cheap, and not a sport that is catering towards anyone of lower income
as they want to play with the big boys, and you need a larger wallet to do so, just life!
and BACK to marketing and sponsorship, and selling a "X" so they buy more,?
more shooters using "X" sells more "X's!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

I don't need to "justify" any cartridge. But I am able to sit here and say "that thing does exactly what it's designed to do and it does it well"

Even if it's something that doesn't interest me and something that I'll likely never own.

The fact that other cartridges also do the same thing, has zero impact on what the Creed does.

The .270 can be good, and the .308 can be good, and the Creed can be good. Those can all exist together.

If the OPs question had said "is the .270 (or any other of the large number of available options out there) all it's cracked up to be for whitetail?" Would you have said "yes, its a great option for whitetail."

Or would you have poopoo- ed on it because Jack O'Connor saved it from dwindling away into obscurity.

I guess my point is... Facts are facts regardless of what marketing and hype does or doesn't do. You can easily look up the numbers and see how the Creed stacks up against other popular options.

And it stacks up just fine. I don't think the argument of "other options do this" answers the question being asked. And I don't think what other cartridges do lessens what the Creed does.

Back to the original question " is it all it's cracked up to be for whitetail?" Yes- and so are allot of other options(which I clearly stated in my first post on this thread)

-Jake
​​​
Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reading the thread again, I think we're saying the same thing mrbb.

I'm not saying the Creed is magical. I'm saying it's a great option for whitetail. Amongst many other great options.

You're not saying the Creed sucks. You're just saying there's lots of other options in that range of choices and the Creed does not seperate itself enough to be considered magical. Or to deserve the "hype" that seems to concern you.

I'm not really concerned or considering the hype. Just looking at what the cartridge does. And it fits in nicely with a whole bunch of other great options.

Like I said earlier. A hunter would be hard pressed to ever find themselves saying "well if I'd had the 6.5 Creed instead of that old .270 I definitely would have gotten that buck!"

-Jake
Old 09-17-2019, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reading the thread again, I think we're saying the same thing mrbb.

I'm not saying the Creed is magical. I'm saying it's a great option for whitetail. Amongst many other great options.

You're not saying the Creed sucks. You're just saying there's lots of other options in that range of choices and the Creed does not seperate itself enough to be considered magical. Or to deserve the "hype" that seems to concern you.

I'm not really concerned or considering the hype. Just looking at what the cartridge does. And it fits in nicely with a whole bunch of other great options.

Like I said earlier. A hunter would be hard pressed to ever find themselves saying "well if I'd had the 6.5 Creed instead of that old .270 I definitely would have gotten that buck!"

-Jake
I agree were both sort of saying the same thing
but, again, if they marketed other calibers like they do this one right NOW
odds are more folks would be buying what ever they are pushing

its a caliber that does what many other calibers do, NOTHING really special about it for the average deer hunter!
so back to topic
"Is the 6.5 all its cracked up to be for deer"
I question this due to the marketing/hype behind it
is it killing, KILLING deer any deader than other calibers?
the answer is NO its not
so, its just killing them the same as countless other calibers,
so, that to me doesn't make it any more special!
so its NOT
" cracked up"
any more to me, than many other calibers! LOL
a LOT of calibers came out over the decades I been shooting them, and marketing is what got many sold, along with its ballistics's
but not many have been , FAR superior than what we have, and neither is this one IMO
that's why I said what I have said
what ever caliber a hunter wants to use, as long a s its up to the task, and you learn to shoot it well(place bullets in vitals/the kill zone) is all that's needed!
now wants?? that's what fills safes and corners and closest's and HAHA!I

Last edited by mrbb; 09-17-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Over half of our members on lease shoot 270W - It just plain kills deer.
Our unwritten rule is that if a yote or hog shows up - shoot'em, deer hunt is over.
270W just plain kills yotes and hogs, too.

Here's a ballistic comparison:

270W w/ 150gr at 2850fps MV is 2704ft-lbs ME.
270W w/ 130gr at 3060fps MV is 2702ft-lbs ME.

6.5CM w/ 140gr at 2710fps MV is 2283ft-lbs ME.
6.5CM w/ 125gr at 2850fps MV is 2254ft-lbs ME.

The 6.5CM should work OK, too.
Just not anything special like its advertised.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tris10
I need outside opinions on a personal battle. I’ve been using a remington model 7400 in 270 and mosin nagant for all hunting purposes but recently decided to purchase another rifle, i’ve decided to go cheap. i’m looking at a savage arms axis hb in 6.5 creedmoor and just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with this rifle, or this cartridge. any help would be appreciated
I've shot a 270W for years and wondered the same thing about a 6.5mm Creedmoor. I was also curious about how it would compare to the 270 which I am quite happy with. I found an article by Ron Spomer (see link below) that did a comparison test between the 2. Each has little advantages out to 800 yards where the 6.5 then takes over. Up to 800 yards, the 270 is a little flatter and the 6.5 has a little less wind deflection and recoil. If your typical hunting is less than 800 yards, there's not much need for a 6.5. If you're a long distance hunter at longer than 800 yards, then the 6.5 would be a better bet.

That covered if you "need" a 6.5 Creed. Now as to whether you just want one, that's a question only your and your checkbook can answer. Enjoy the new rifle.

p.s. thanks RayS for the extra info on the 270. Always nice to hear other people still use them.

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6...70-winchester/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.