Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting? >

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Old 10-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by tris10
i’ve decided to go cheap. i’m looking at a savage arms axis hb in 6.5 Creedmoor and just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with this rifle, or this cartridge. any help would be appreciated
If you use a bullet designed for big game, and put the bullet in the kill zone it will die.
I have shot two mule deer bucks with the 6.5 Creed in specialty pistols. One at 265 yards, and the other at around 280ish. First one used a 140 A-Max and on the second deer I used the 142 LR AB. If you go to the longrangehunting dot com forum under the specialty pistol section, you can see pics. The one I shot with the Pachmayr Dominator is on my youtube.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

There’s a lot of silliness around the Internet, so I should never be surprised to find it. But this particular thread has been rehashed way too often for folks to continue to ignore the actual facts and arguments presented in these things...

”The new X is stupid, the old Y does the same thing. I like the old Y because it’s been great for longer....”

If one thing is great, and another thing matches it, then both have to be great. One can’t be terrible.

You can’t give me a 270win in 2020 and beyond. Absolutely silly to carry a long action rifle and burn 15-20grn more powder to do the same job as the Creedmoor case.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

just got a creed, was I impressed? Yep, just as impressed as I am with the 7mm/08, my 6mm, the 25wssm, the 243, and all the other deer rifles I have. the main advantage of the creed is this, they were hyped to the max and lived up to it due to the fact that when it was introduced, it came out in a well built factory rifle and was accompanied by decent factory ammo. an accurate 130-140 gr bullet at 2850 to 2950 fps is as good of a deer round as you can get.
RR
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I almost didn't get this deer cause I had .270 instead of a Creed.

Thankfully the pink sling made up the difference.

-Jake
Old 12-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really is too bad, Jake, he’d have grown 100 more inches if you would have hit him with a 6.5 Creedmoor. H4350 and 140 ELD’s with the Creedmoor cause ground GROWTH!!
Old 12-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

100" of growth after the shot would be useful for Pennsylvania public land deer! Lol.

It took me 4 full days of hunting and a couple afternoon sits as well before seeing this legal buck. Maybe the Creed could help draw in the big bucks too??

​​​-Jake