Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Hunter: How do I Actually Get a Deer? >

New Hunter: How do I Actually Get a Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter: How do I Actually Get a Deer?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh brother!
Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know about all that erno but I do know they don't like eye contact.

When I'm bow hunt and have one coming in I never look directly at it. I've been busted multiple times by locking eyes with an old mamma doe

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 09-16-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I don't know about all that erno but I do know they don't like eye contact.

When I'm bow hunt and have one coming in I never look directly at it. I've been busted multiple times by locking eyes with an old mamma doe

-Jake
I'm sitting in a shooting tower, had a permit to thin the Deer because of crop damage. Hadn't seen much in hours, fell asleep, woke up and 14 Deer were feeding 30 yards in front of me. I've had that feeling before, the harder I look the more scarce they get.
I most always work on the assumption most wildlife within a quarter of a mile knows I'm around. Whether they feel threatened or not is the question and the dumb ones tend to die first, so the smart or the shy live linger and reproduce.
Some people get tunnel vision, hunting Deer so all they see is Deer. A lot going on in a hunting area, Birds, other animals warn each other when there is a trespasser. One reason I ambush hunt is that the Deer are moving and can kind of get sensory overload (too much information) and they are making their own noise which masks mine.

I was sitting in the bottom of a horseshoe-shaped depression between two hills. A good spot to get a crossing shot, dawn or dusk, between a bedding area and a feeding area. Hadn't seen squat all morning, decided to quietly move up one hill and see what was on top or on the other side. Got to the top and it looked like a zoo up there it was absolutely filled with wildlife. They all knew I was there.

If I scout an area I usually give it a few days to settle down and disperse my scent before I actually hunt that spot.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-16-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of truth to that. ^^^^^ If you're just sitting somewhere and act like you're snoozing or grazing, you appear to be less of a threat to animals that when you're moving like you're stalking an animal like a coyote, lion or even bear. MC was sitting in the next draw or valley and so wasn't much of a threat to the critters 1 draw over.

I don't know that I agree with a 6th sense or telepathy in animals. That would indicate a more developed brain rather than a lesser developed brain. It makes more sense that an animal that can smell hundreds of times better than we can and often see and hear much better than we can will notice if we're within their comfort zone, especially when they spend their entire life not trying to get killed and eaten by predators.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Oh brother!
For the doubters...

"Telepathic Animal Communication"

Links:

http://www.healingforanimals.com/ani...communication/

Last edited by Erno86; 09-18-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: link work
Old 09-28-2019, 02:44 AM
Spike

It's been a long time since I posted here - though I do read it now and then.
But I thought I'd log in just to give you some encouragement.
Most of us learned the basics about hunting from our fathers, uncles, etc so when I see a guy like you who's trying to break into the sport with no help from his elders l'm both charmed and pleased to see it.
There's nothing wrong with a shotgun and slugs for taking a deer. I hunted with a 20 guage bolt action the first few years I went. I never shot a deer with it but that's beside the point. I Could Have shot one with it - if I hadn't been so squirrelly and noisy then 😏
It was 54 years ago this year that I first got to go by the way.
One thing to remember is deer hunting is about 99% total boredom and 1% heart racing excitement. And it's the guy who is determined enough and patient enough to STAY in the stand that will have that 1%.
Not to put down the great, helpful guys here or these forums but you will find there is a lot of focus on big bucks. I say don't worry about all that antler stuff for now. Your first deer whether a spike buck or a doe or even a fawn will still be a monster trophy to you and your heart will be beating out of your chest when you have those fine few seconds when all the stars align and you can finally pull the trigger on a deer.
It's worth the wait when it happens so don't get discouraged.
Meanwhile, best of luck to you.
I'm genuinely pleased to see a young man take up the sport, especially one who didn't grow up with it like most of us did.
Jerry

Last edited by Ultradog MN; 09-28-2019 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Got to relearn the forum software here
Old 09-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Well said indeed.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
and I guess you believe in Big foots and other like creatures due to videos on Youtube LOL
Sorry
but I think far too many folks give animals and creatures way too much super natural abilities

there just trying to survive like all of us, some are better at it than others, but I do NOT think any have any super powers , as in telepathic powers!
one can read into things as they wish and odds are find others that agree, as well as disagree!
Old 09-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have to have the IQ of a carrot to believe that telepathic nonsense.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Spike

Yeah, deer aren't telepathic.
They don't even know to get out of the path of oncoming cars.😶

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.