Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question for Game Cam users

Old 11-05-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Question for Game Cam users

I' d love to get a game camera. Wal-Mart has one pretty reasonable now. A few questions.

1. Do you think the game cam influences the deer in any way, ie from the flash?

2. Has the game camera actually helped you harvest deer?

3. I assume that if you are using the cam to help you get a deer, that you move it around to try and pattern the deer. After all, a bunch of pictures of deer after dark don' t really help you much except to tell you what deer are out there.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully some well timed Christmas hints will snag me one.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Question for Game Cam users

Well i just got one and put it on a trail. 5 days later 21 pictures taken, develop and lo and behold @334am a monster 10 pter. So of course I set up and take a 3pter.Not the big one but I would not have hunted there without the cam. These are big woods and just the fact that there is a picture of a monster gives you juice to keep hunting.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I dont think the flash bothers the deer at all, i have the same deer over and over again. The cameras do help me hunt, as soon as you see what is walking around that certain area you will ant to stay in the woods just as long as you can. I just started a website on gamecams if you are interested

http://bestdeercam.com
Old 11-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not had the flash affect the deer in the areas that I have used it. On several occasions I had gotten pictures of the same deer weeks apart from one another.

However, you are correct in that it does not do any good to just see them after dark each night.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

About deer cams--love em...my cousin got one and we got awesome pics.
About the Wal-Mart deer cam--I bought one and its crap. Do yourself a favor and spend the money to get a good one.
Good luck!
SC in LR
Old 11-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I am no expert but had read posts indicating a fair amount of people thought the Moultrie Game Cam II was a good deal. I went to Walmart and bought one for about $96. I have had great success with a 24 roll being filled every week since August 15. I set the camera about 5 yards away and every picture has turned out great. The pictures ranged from turkey, fawns with spots changing color; and bucks in velvet to polished horns. I also got two smaller bucks sparring; that was a cool picture.

Because I had the game camera I was able to see all the bucks that were always around or passing through. I shot a large doe, passed up eight (8) smaller bucks to shoot a very nice and high rack seven (7) point. It is killing me now that all my tags are full; but I cannot wait to get out and pull the film and see what else has strolled through.

The big difference for the game cam has been knowing how large of bucks were around so I didn' t shoot an average size buck and knowing that until around the 3rd week in October all of the big bucks were nocternal. Thus, I went fishing and doing other things until the camera indicated pattern changes so I feel I was utilizing my time more effectively in the woods.

Now I am going to leave my one (1) game cam in its same spot next year and purchase another one and move it around and see if I can identify new deer or other patterns. This is on private land so I also don' t have to worry about the camera being stolen.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

The flash don' t bother them at all, Its the best way to tell what an area holds as far as deer and their size, I really like mine.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:48 PM

i think they are great i borrowed one from my aunt and had it in one spot and had a beautiful 10 pointer walk past at 12:30 in the afternoon! i went out and hunted hard and saw him sunday 1/2 hour before dark he was truly magnificent, the biggest deer i have seen in the wild. of course i couldnt shoot him because it was the doe T zone hunt here in northeast WI. i think if i wouldnt have been suspecting him, i would have soiled myself. i am hoping to get one for christmas. Here is a pic of the buck, my blind is behind the camera, and when i saw him he was stopped in the same place broadside, at 20 yrds... and all i could do was look through my binocs at him nd tremble til every bone in my body rattled. sorry not the best pic.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I' m gonna get one today........let you know how it goes........