Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Clear cut?

Old 09-02-2019, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Clear cut?

This summer,a portion of the area that I hunt was clear cut. Will the deer still enter the area or will they stay to the edges? I need to establish some new stands and have not had this issue to deal with. What advice can you give?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Are the tree tops still on the ground or did they grind everything up?

Has it started to regrow yet?

If it's empty and void of everything except for ruts and stumps deer won't use it much this year. But will likely still cross it from time to time.

If there are what we call "slashings" (basically everything left behind by the loggers) and stuff has started to regrow the deer will definitely be in it. Those tree tops are easy browse, and so is the fresh green stuff growing up.

If you're able to, establish your primary trails and stand locations now. It'll get thicker and thicker and harder to work with every year for about the next 10-15 years before you start getting anything sizeable in there.

The good news is, the deer will love it. They can be tough to hunt, but the deer are in there.

-Jake
Old 09-02-2019, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

As for the edges, those are definitely good stand sites. Any transition area is usually a good spot to start looking.

It can also be easier to get into and hunt the edge of a clear cut than to try to hunt the middle of it. Cause it will be thick and nasty by next year.

-Jake
Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Are the tree tops still on the ground or did they grind everything up?

Has it started to regrow yet?

If it's empty and void of everything except for ruts and stumps deer won't use it much this year. But will likely still cross it from time to time.

If there are what we call "slashings" (basically everything left behind by the loggers) and stuff has started to regrow the deer will definitely be in it. Those tree tops are easy browse, and so is the fresh green stuff growing up.

If you're able to, establish your primary trails and stand locations now. It'll get thicker and thicker and harder to work with every year for about the next 10-15 years before you start getting anything sizeable in there.

The good news is, the deer will love it. They can be tough to hunt, but the deer are in there.

-Jake
It is still being cut as I write this. It appears that they are leaving some of the tops on the ground. Not much new growth yet cause they are still dragging logs out. I was told that they hope to be done by deer season, and the loggers have said that they see deer every day in the areas that they have cut. It will be interesting to see how things transpire over the next 10 years or so. The second growth stuff that is going to come out will be near impossible to hunt as it will be too thick. I have been told, that if I cut trails thru the second growth that the deer will use them and I can set a stand accordingly. I will have to wait and see. Unfortunately, the logging of this area will concentrate the hunters that hunt this State Forest into the few areas that remain un-touched causing crowded hunting conditions. I may have to scope out some new areas to hunt until the second growth gets established.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

if the area is in between where deer bed and where food is, YES they will enter it often to cross to get to where things they want are

as stated above, if tree tops were left behind, it will offer food till things dry, and then maybe a bunch of new bedding spots as well
its its clear cut and wide open, and no need for a deer to enter, then odds are they won't
safety is a major issue for most wild animals, there has to be a reason for them to use a open pace!
but clear cuts can become hot spots as soon as things start to fill back in, how fast has many variables
itt can be a few yrs to more, pending location and weather, and what is being done to site after cutting!(as in, did timber guy re seed things or not

also, there is a great opportunity here, , after a clear cut you can shape the landscape easier, due to having a lot of material on the ground to work with to direct paths past stand sites
just think ahead when doing so
so as things thicken back up, you have open walking paths past future stand sites
Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
It is still being cut as I write this. It appears that they are leaving some of the tops on the ground. Not much new growth yet cause they are still dragging logs out. I was told that they hope to be done by deer season, and the loggers have said that they see deer every day in the areas that they have cut. It will be interesting to see how things transpire over the next 10 years or so. The second growth stuff that is going to come out will be near impossible to hunt as it will be too thick. I have been told, that if I cut trails thru the second growth that the deer will use them and I can set a stand accordingly. I will have to wait and see. Unfortunately, the logging of this area will concentrate the hunters that hunt this State Forest into the few areas that remain un-touched causing crowded hunting conditions. I may have to scope out some new areas to hunt until the second growth gets established.

If a large area is being logged, the deer get used to it and equate the sound of chain saws to food and it is not unusual fr the deer to come right into the areas being logged and eat while they are cutting trees.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Spike

In my experience the first 2 years after a lease I used to be in got a huge part clearcut the hunting was not that good. You are correct it will get real thick in a lot of the areas but this will work to your benefit as years pass. After about 5 years after the clear cut that part of the land was some of best hunting.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a unique opportunity for you. As soon as they are done logging, open up trails to funnel the deer where you want them to go. The old trails have been obliterated. The deer are lazy and will create new trails where it's easiest to get through. If you create the trails, they'll start using them immediately. Put the trails where you want them.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

What I have found with new clear cuts that deer will travel the same route regardless until they start getting shot. So the first week keep an eye on where those deer normally travel. After that watch the back edges from around 100 yards in. Once new growth comes back go back to watching those areas that they naturally travel threw. Keep in mind any type of new growth no matter how small is food to the deer. Also unfortunately these clear cuts help bring the coyote population up as well. Also it is a good idea to google the edges and print it out for future reference as the deer will learn new trails when pressured. They will use those trails as long as they are not cut. I hope this helps you some.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
Hope like crazy they are still there cutting after deer season starts.
Then set up a stand close to where they are cutting.
Hunt in the evning just after the loggers leave for the day, or while they are at lunch.
Just let them know you are going to be there.
Tell them you will keep a watch out for them, a so one messes with their trucks, etc, etc.
After they leave for the day deer will come and look at what they have cut.
Deer will lick the saw dust for the salt, and minerals in the saw dust.
This would be a good time to toss out some throw n grow food plot seeds.
The sound of chain saws will draw deer in to watch the loggers also.
I always wanted to set up a wireless speaker and play chain saw sounds and get quiet, and watch for them.
It never worked out.
Some one else had a lease or permission on the land.
Any way Good luck how ever you work it out.
At least toss out some throw n grow seeds, where the does are eating the bucks will follow.

JMHO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.