HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Minimal Equipment Food Plot Technique (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/420893-minimal-equipment-food-plot-technique.html)

TravisSouth 05-02-2019 11:31 AM

Minimal Equipment Food Plot Technique

QDMA's Lindsay Thomas Jr. in his approach to food plot management with minimal equipment. I thought his approach was far from how the commercial side of planting goes and is very applicable for smaller, hard to reach plots or for those with limited equipment. Many benefits-

Thoughts?

qdma.com/easy-no-till-fo...ekend-seminar/

MudderChuck 05-02-2019 02:07 PM

I did much much the same for many years on my last lease. I cut lanes through heavy brush and/or opened up an area in the middle of high brush with a high seat overlooking the lane or plot, I use a chain Chain saw, weed whacker and rake. Emmer Wheat in the spring and Rape in the fall. The Deer really like feeding right next to thick cover. The hogs like eating Earth Worms and rooting for fallen seed. I tend to put out numerous small plots, 300-500 square feet.
My lease now is half agriculture and half woods, there is no shortage of browse. I put out plots to try and keep the Deer and Hogs out of the crops. I'm not very successful, even electric fences won't keep the Hogs out of the crops.

StrungOutOutdoors 05-02-2019 05:54 PM

Link don't work, but Im assuming this is the no till approach? Ive tried it with smaller, but what I do is, spray then seed that way the thatch is on top of the seeds. Same concept, but I feel safer with the thatch falling on top of the seeds, rather than throwing the seeds into the thatch

TravisSouth 05-03-2019 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by MudderChuck (Post 4355621)
I did much much the same for many years on my last lease. I cut lanes through heavy brush and/or opened up an area in the middle of high brush with a high seat overlooking the lane or plot, I use a chain Chain saw, weed whacker and rake. Emmer Wheat in the spring and Rape in the fall. The Deer really like feeding right next to thick cover. The hogs like eating Earth Worms and rooting for fallen seed. I tend to put out numerous small plots, 300-500 square feet.
My lease now is half agriculture and half woods, there is no shortage of browse. I put out plots to try and keep the Deer and Hogs out of the crops. I'm not very successful, even electric fences won't keep the Hogs out of the crops.

Not much you can do with the hogs- Particularly in the winter they were bad in a number of my smaller plots. Where are you located?
I've always heard deer prefering lanes so security cover is always a few steps away, however my experience is prefering anything planted no matter shape having hunted in predominantly forested areas.

TravisSouth 05-03-2019 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by StrungOutOutdoors (Post 4355630)
Link don't work, but Im assuming this is the no till approach? Ive tried it with smaller, but what I do is, spray then seed that way the thatch is on top of the seeds. Same concept, but I feel safer with the thatch falling on top of the seeds, rather than throwing the seeds into the thatch

You make a great point, particularly with larger seeds like your bean varieties. I can see how that would be more productive than trying to work it into the thatch, particularly if there isn't much to begin with. Fantastic call.