Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are deer calls used for does ever? >

Are deer calls used for does ever?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are deer calls used for does ever?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Spike

Question Are deer calls used for does ever?

Are calls just for bucks?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

No.

-Jake
Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

fawn bleat calls have been known to attract doe,s , I have had some success, once bringing a doe quite a ways across an open field to investigate, was fun
Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
No.

-Jake
Well that was short and sweet! LOL
Actually does will respond to fawn bleats and occasionally to doe grunts (yes does do grunt too). I've gone into heavy cover (that stuff that looks like bamboo abouit 7-8' tall) in late May / early June and just used my voice as a bleat and almost been run over by does coming in to protect their fawn. I've also had young deer under my stand in early archery season bleat several times and then trot off to a doe in the distance I didn't see. She probably answered her yearling but I didn't hear it.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO calls are more of a waste of money than anything, unless your on very prime land, where you have a lot of control over hunting pressure and deer age structure
there more about marketing gizzismo's that they sell to sucker hunters thinking it will be some magic tool that will get them a deer
can they work , YES they CAN
but some folks win the lottery buying a ticket,. but most DON"T
your IMO< way better off, spending time scouting a better area, and or learning how to become a better hunter than counting on any gadget to get you a deer, buck or doe!
save your money, buy better socks LOL
staying warm and comfortable , will keep you sitting longer and more still and increase your odds WAY more than a deer call ever will IMO!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing Doe have more vocalizations than I've noticed. But the only two I've ever really noticed are a warning bark and a I'm horny bleat.

I've had Doe come in to see what the hubbub is about when I've tried rattling antlers.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did have an instance where I rattled in a hot doe and her yearling (one late October afternoon) from across a 100 yard wide lake arm
I heard a kersplash while in my treestand an bowhunting with my compound bow. After that...I saw this giant wake coming directly towards me. An 18" tree was blocking who was making the wake in the water; though I was having high hopes that it was a giant buck.

I couldn't seem them climb out of the water an onto the bank...but I did hear them shake off the water like a dog does. Then they ran up to my treestand from about 70 yards from the waterline, stopped about 20 yards away downwind...smelled me...then snorted an spooked.

Does love to watch bucks fight...

Fawn bleats & bawling screams will not only bring in does...but predators come a runnin' in such as well --- like mountain lions, wolves, coyotes and bears.

Last edited by Erno86; 04-09-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Bronk, only had a few spare minutes before heading into work lol.

Doe, especially young doe, are curious critters and will come in to check out what's going on.

-Jake
Old 04-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unlike mrbb I've found that deer calls do work. But only on certain occasions. Although I always carry a grunt call with me I only use it sparingly and only from late Oct to mid Nov. And you need to know how to use one and not just blow into it. Two seasons ago after getting into my stand after a rain at 1:00 in the afternoon and waiting 15 mins or so for the area to "calm down" I gave a couple grunts on my tube and use my rattling bag to simulate a fight. A couple of grunts during the rattling and then 2 more after the 30 second sequence. Within 3-5 mins a very nice buck came in to within 30 yards and stood behind a bush for the longest time looking for those 2 buck. He finally came closer and offered me a good shot and by 1:45 I was putting my tag on him. The year prior I had 2 good buck come past me out of bow range and when they got into some cover I let out a long slow grunt about maybe 5 seconds. They came back out and were looking all over but never saw me in my tree stand. They turned and went back into the cover and again I grunted them back out. This went on for about an hour before they finally gave up on looking and disappeared. One of these buck was a nice 8 pt and the other a beautiful 10 or 11 pt. And I hunt exclusively on public land.
Now don't get me wrong. They don't always work. I already grunted at a smaller buck and he took off like a scalded cat. I guess he must have gotten his butt kicked earlier.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
IMO calls are more of a waste of money than anything, unless your on very prime land, where you have a lot of control over hunting pressure and deer age structure
there more about marketing gizzismo's that they sell to sucker hunters thinking it will be some magic tool that will get them a deer
can they work , YES they CAN
but some folks win the lottery buying a ticket,. but most DON"T
your IMO< way better off, spending time scouting a better area, and or learning how to become a better hunter than counting on any gadget to get you a deer, buck or doe!
save your money, buy better socks LOL
staying warm and comfortable , will keep you sitting longer and more still and increase your odds WAY more than a deer call ever will IMO!
This has been a lot of my experience. Big bucks just ignoring calls unless they are flat out on a hot doe to push off competition. I have seen 10 does and 1 buck following them grunting, I grunt, he ignores me and the entire doe herd looks toward my stand.
I have watched a lot of bucks on the prowl 75 yards from my stand in bow season and stop when I call, but not turn direction.

My buddy swears they work, I am not convinced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.