Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck? >

When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?

Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always get antsy leaving my truck unattended out in the middle of nowhere. I've watched guys walk up to my truck and look in the windows, then look around to see if anybody was watching. Even with the cell phone alarm I have now, you never know if you will make it back in time to do any good. The only time I felt reasonably comfortable was in the cooler months when I'd leave my 100 pound Weimaraner in the truck while I was out hunting, he took car guard duty really serious. I usually keep it down to half a mile, I'm too old to run very far. As many striped and abandoned vehicles I've seen out in the middle of nowhere you have to believe there are opportunistic thieves around.

I was in Sonoma Deer hunting, I pulled into a turnout in the evening, set my alarm and went to sleep in the truck planned on heading out at 3 AM. Woke up in the dark with some dude fiddling with my window. He was really interested in what he was doing, I sat up, picked my shotgun off the floor, cleaned the dew off the inside of the window and tapped on the glass with my shotgun barrel about a foot from his face. The look on his face was priceless.

My Godfather took my younger brother and I Dove hunting when I was around 15 , we overnighted, He and his two sons slept in his VW camper, my brother and I slept out on the ground, O dark thirty and somebody came rummaging through our camp. My Godfather yelled to get the F out of here and started popping off rounds with his 22 magnum revolver. I watched the two would be thieves heading for the hills. The next morning we all had a good laugh checking out the bullet holes in his camper, he'd shot right through the side of it.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I always get antsy leaving my truck unattended out in the middle of nowhere. I've watched guys walk up to my truck and look in the windows, then look around to see if anybody was watching. Even with the cell phone alarm I have now, you never know if you will make it back in time to do any good. The only time I felt reasonably comfortable was in the cooler months when I'd leave my 100 pound Weimaraner in the truck while I was out hunting, he took car guard duty really serious. I usually keep it down to half a mile, I'm too old to run very far. As many striped and abandoned vehicles I've seen out in the middle of nowhere you have to believe there are opportunistic thieves around.

I was in Sonoma Deer hunting, I pulled into a turnout in the evening, set my alarm and went to sleep in the truck planned on heading out at 3 AM. Woke up in the dark with some dude fiddling with my window. He was really interested in what he was doing, I sat up, picked my shotgun off the floor, cleaned the dew off the inside of the window and tapped on the glass with my shotgun barrel about a foot from his face. The look on his face was priceless.

My Godfather took my younger brother and I Dove hunting when I was around 15 , we overnighted, He and his two sons slept in his VW camper, my brother and I slept out on the ground, O dark thirty and somebody came rummaging through our camp. My Godfather yelled to get the F out of here and started popping off rounds with his 22 magnum revolver. I watched the two would be thieves heading for the hills. The next morning we all had a good laugh checking out the bullet holes in his camper, he'd shot right through the side of it.
I have never had a issue with theft, but have had friends that did
the last few yrs I started setting up trail cam's to watch over the truck hen I would leave it behind for long hikes in!
but honestly, I keep good insurance on things and never again had any bad luck with crooks on my truck in the wood(have had it broken into in town though>?)
I know the walk out , pending what they steal ,
could be a issue
but so far no issues
but crooks these days are every where
lots of bad folks with drug habits that steal anything they can !
and this again, just makes me so glad I grew up when I did, I had so many great hunts across the USA in middle of no where where I left the truck for days, and never had to really worry about this stuff like in today's world!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get the feeling that the OP, based on the posts he has made, has very little hunting experience. I suggest he give us an idea just how much experience he has so we can try to give him some valid info. Right now I have no idea what to tell him. If he is in ID and has spent any time there hunting then most of the questions he has posed would have been answered.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 miles..most uphill...I never see a soul
Old 04-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunted after I parked never really concerned me. I've shot deer within 50 yards of my vehicle and within sight of my vehicle to "why in the world did I shoot this deer so far from my truck" distance!
Old 04-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go as far as I can from the main road --- which is about a mile on average --- so the guys push the deer too me. Though the shotgun side of my pickup truck window was shot out by a pistol once about 25 years ago while I was bowhunting. I saw the guy perform the act...but I had to run a 1/4 mile to my truck. The two saw me come a running....hopped in their car --- and took off with speed doing 'S' patterns up the mac road. They (perpetrators) were never caught by the county police.

Last edited by Erno86; 04-14-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Spike

I hunted some public land in Arkansas and I had to walk almost 2 miles to where the stand was. They have a parking area and you have to walk in to their public lands
Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Spike

Generally speaking, the farther you go in, the less pressure deer will have felt and the more opportunity you will likely have. Most public land hunters never get more that 1/4 mile from the road.