Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck? >

When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Spike

Question When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?

This is the distance from where your portable tree stand is from where your truck is legally parked assuming you have no special vehicle access privileges for disability. One mile? A half mile? A football field length or two? If the distance is not too far, and the terrain is flat, I figure I might get by with a deer push cart or a big wheelbarrow. I plan to hunt deer in the future when I move to Indiana by hunting in Indiana, or neighboring states like Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan or Illinois so that should give people here an idea of the kind of terrain I would likely encounter.

How far do YOU have to go from your truck to your deer stand?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Just depends . I've shot deer from right beside the truck.

Many of us like to go in deeper because it usually means you'll see and deal with less hunter pressure. But there are certainly places that you can hunt successfully within 100 yards of a parking area.

-Jake
Old 04-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I'll say this, I have hunted most all the states you listed, and terrain can vary a LOT pending where in the state you are hunting
ohio north is pretty flat, SE is pretty steep and thick as one example!

HOW far a tree stand can be, is really based on where the hunting is worth placing a stand
there are folks that get lucky and kill deer a few feet off the road where they park there car, and then those that will walk in as far away from roads as possible
the logic is typically on public land that hunting farther away from roads gets better, and some times it does
as pressure from a bunch of hunters, being lazy, new , old or?? (no disrespect meant here either)
that hunt a LOT close to roads, this pressure tend to push deer and such farther away from roads, BUT not always
if there is reason for a deer to be close to roads, they they will still go there, BUT if hunting pressure gets high, they tend to then just go there at night!
so, its hard to say
on BIGGER tracts of land that don't get much pressure, and there is a REASON for deer to be close to a road(food mostly) then you can get lucky and place a tree stand just as far off a road that it is legal

but most experienced hunters will tell you, IMO< that hunting close to roads will end up with you being more frustrated as other hunters walk past you, cars and noises keep game away
and that they prefer to walk in farther to get away from as many people as possible

your coming from the GREAT wide open west, where there might be say 200 hunters on 150,000 acres
where in the east coast, you might have a 200 hunters on 1500 acres of land
so as you can see, pressure is a HUGE factor to consider when hunting on the east coast, and public lands in places there are few of them, get SUPER congested with hunters
SOME times this pressure helps move deer about the place and its more LUCK than skill that gets folks deer
and not skills
and MANY rely on this, and again, many hunt next to roads for this reason, they just count on once Opening day starts and shells start flying and hunters start traveling all over thru the woods, deer get PUSH and run wild at times, trying to get from point A to point B and NOT in any natural pattern, there just RUNNING scared more or less
I have hunted some public lands, that I swear there was a hunter every 200 ft in every direction, and seen a deer run and about a 50 rounds went off as folks shot at it running wild(was also last time I hunted there LOL)

so, to be honest there is NO set distance on how far off a road you need to be to hunt, unless state game /hunting rules state so
a deer can be any where
the name of the game for those NOT relying on LUCK, is to learn to read sign, do pre season scouting, find good spots(keep in mind on public land, if you find a GOOD SPOT< odds are HIGH so did 10 other people)
so have many spots picked, so if you get there and someone si already there, you have a plan B-C-D-E in place

I have killed many a deer behind my house that were less than a 150 yards from my back door over food plots I have
and I have killed deer I walked in well over 5 miles to get to, and every where in between

sorry if this doesn't come out as you hoped for, just being honest
the location of a GOOD deer stand, comes down to WHY deer will be there, how easy it is, and how many people know its there

its amazing how, woods empty almost ALL yr, will become so crowded come opening day of rifle/gun season!
here in PA< we used to have over a million hunters hit the woods opening day at once! , the Orange Army was its nickname LOL
Old 04-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

some tips for making life easier, I will add
when hunti/pre season scouting
look for stands that are UP hill from your vehicle, the nastier to get into the better, even places close to roads that are nasty get less pressure, and well, going in UP hill, makes coming out DOWN hill with a dead deer a LOT easier LOL
Old 04-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Spike

Red face

Originally Posted by mrbb
some tips for making life easier, I will add
when hunti/pre season scouting
look for stands that are UP hill from your vehicle, the nastier to get into the better, even places close to roads that are nasty get less pressure, and well, going in UP hill, makes coming out DOWN hill with a dead deer a LOT easier LOL
If I can scout and find a good spot on flat terrain within 15 minutes "wheelbarrow distance" from the parked truck, I should be happy.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

odds are HIGH you can sure find places like that
but the name of the game sadly is, will others be walking thru , or showing up, or will deer be there in GUN season
hunting with archery gear gets you more time to kill a deer and at a time of season when a LOT less hunters are out, increasing your odds of having a easy spot close to a road to yourself!
Indiana is a BIG farming state, lots of ag
, so, I would try and find public lands near standing crops in small maybe over looked public land spots!
getting to know your local game warden IMO is a great idea, be surprised what honey holes they know of that MAYBE they can share with you , or point you in the right direction!
X bows do make life a lot easier for those with health issue's too, easy loading cranks on newer one's and a ton of models out there these days to pick from as well as price points!
HO and using a actual DEER CART over a wheel barrow will make your life a LOT easier, as one you push, one you pull, and the deer carts are way better balanced and less likely to tip over on you, or run that tip bar into a object and make you say some un kind words when you do LOL
Old 04-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Dave, if I were you......

I would forget about the heavy items that may require a wheelbarrow.

Hunt off the ground. Take a light pop up blind if you feel better about using it. Other than that, a small back pack with your essentials. A knife, rope, water bottle, cell phone, compass, rags, your license, your ammo, snacks, and that's all you need to carry.

I rarely hunt out of a tree stand. Although they certainly have their benefits.... If it's going to be a huge physical challenge to get a stand in the woods I just wouldn't worry about it.

Lots of deer get killed every year by the guy sitting on a log.

Then have a plan for getting your deer out. Phone a friend, take a cart or a wheel barrow, or just take a drag rope and go very slowly.

I find enjoyment and pleasure in simplicity. The more things that have to be packed, carried, and worried about just adds more headache to the hunt. Especially if you have physical limitations.

Don't make things harder than they need to be.
​​​​​​Also, something to consider. In the areas you'll be hunting private land can be difficult to access. However, if you can make contacts with land owners, it's not impossible. If you're involved in a church, clubs, if you sit at McDonald's every Tuesday morning with the retired guys.... Just put the word out that you are looking for a place to hunt. You might be surprised what turns up.

-Jake
Old 04-07-2019, 06:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
odds are HIGH you can sure find places like that
but the name of the game sadly is, will others be walking thru , or showing up, or will deer be there in GUN season
hunting with archery gear gets you more time to kill a deer and at a time of season when a LOT less hunters are out, increasing your odds of having a easy spot close to a road to yourself!
Indiana is a BIG farming state, lots of ag
, so, I would try and find public lands near standing crops in small maybe over looked public land spots!
getting to know your local game warden IMO is a great idea, be surprised what honey holes they know of that MAYBE they can share with you , or point you in the right direction!
X bows do make life a lot easier for those with health issue's too, easy loading cranks on newer one's and a ton of models out there these days to pick from as well as price points!
HO and using a actual DEER CART over a wheel barrow will make your life a LOT easier, as one you push, one you pull, and the deer carts are way better balanced and less likely to tip over on you, or run that tip bar into a object and make you say some un kind words when you do LOL
I was thinking about the deer cart. I will also have to figure a way to leash my blood-trailing dog to my body as I move the deer cart in the woods to "stay cool" with game wardens.

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Leash-Re...89826634&psc=1

In theory, the dog would be chained to a tree or log at the deer stand to be in compliance. Yes, even in Indiana a deer hunter may possess one leashed dog for trailing wounded game as it is in Idaho, Cally and most other states. I may or may not have a human buddy and I will not leave any dog of mine at the truck unattended.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:02 AM
Typical Buck

when i use to hunt public land about 10 or more years ago. i would hike back aprox. a mile & would be the only person dragging a deer out. would pass up 20 hunters that would not go more than a quarter mile from there truck & another 20 hunters who would not go futher than hearing the road they were parked on & another 10 hunters who would not leave site of their vehicles.and all i would hear was were you get that deer at? the only shot i heard was about a mile away. i would take a roll up sled with me to drag it out
Old 04-08-2019, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Many years ago I came across a ( hidden oak ridge ) within sight of car headlights of a state highway, while chasing Partridge with my dog. This small ridge was loaded with deer turds, scrapes and rubs ! QAnd was surrounded by thicker bedding area,s ! I and a handi capped buddy have shot with bows eleven 8 point bucks on this small spot ! too close to the road, too small , Seems nobody bothered to hunt or even look at this spot, a year ago the County in its infinite wisdom decided to clear cut the area *&^%^$@#@

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.