Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New 20 acre property questions

Reply

Old 03-11-2019, 11:52 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Default New 20 acre property questions

Finally after hunting many years on public land i gathered enough cash to purchase a small piece of hunting land. Looking for ideas for screening trees and food plot locations. Id like to get some screening trees on the east/west sides of the property. Any ideas what decent growing trees would be best? Also I uploaded a photo of my new piece of land and trying determine locations of food plots. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails New 20 acre property questions-7cc283d2-f8dc-499b-b5ad-51932fa82321.jpeg  
Jeremy2387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:29 PM
  #2  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 20,026
Default

Congrats on the land purchase. As far as your questions... location (state) might give more info to properly suggest screening trees which would grow in your area.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM
  #3  
Super Moderator
 
Bocajnala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 6,566
Default

Yes, we need a general location to suggest trees.

Is it currently being farmed and do you plan to have it continue being farmed?

And what is the current deer sign like. Are they using the woods? Just passing through? Bedding? Not there at all?

Also, do you live close to the property, and are you able to get there often, or is it several hours away?

Congratulations on your purchase of property. Owning your own property is a special thing and you should take advantage of and be excited about the process of getting it to be what you want it to be.

-Jake
Bocajnala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:45 PM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,087
Default

I agree need to know more on location for tree's, but in general pines(what type is more on location) tend to be great for making shields on road ways IMO
as for any food plots, well IMO< I would be planting them as far away from roads and that house as possible
and if GUN hunting here , all the more so!
mrbb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 PM
  #5  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by Jeremy2387 View Post
Finally after hunting many years on public land i gathered enough cash to purchase a small piece of hunting land. Looking for ideas for screening trees and food plot locations. Id like to get some screening trees on the east/west sides of the property. Any ideas what decent growing trees would be best? Also I uploaded a photo of my new piece of land and trying determine locations of food plots. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I am sorry guys. Im in the NW Indiana area
Jeremy2387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:41 PM
  #6  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
Yes, we need a general location to suggest trees.

Is it currently being farmed and do you plan to have it continue being farmed?

And what is the current deer sign like. Are they using the woods? Just passing through? Bedding? Not there at all?

Also, do you live close to the property, and are you able to get there often, or is it several hours away?

Congratulations on your purchase of property. Owning your own property is a special thing and you should take advantage of and be excited about the process of getting it to be what you want it to be.

-Jake
I see that their mainly passing through. I live about an hour away from it. As far as the tillable part of it, Id like to do CRP eventually but will hire a farmer to run crops in it. Im in the NW Indiana area.
Jeremy2387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:43 PM
  #7  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
I agree need to know more on location for tree's, but in general pines(what type is more on location) tend to be great for making shields on road ways IMO
as for any food plots, well IMO< I would be planting them as far away from roads and that house as possible
and if GUN hunting here , all the more so!
NW Indiana area. Yeah definitely away from that house.
Jeremy2387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
  #8  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 20,026
Default

Nice deer country. Try to keep the food plots out of sight from the roads.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
  #9  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Nice deer country. Try to keep the food plots out of sight from the roads.
ok will do for sure
Jeremy2387 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:52 PM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
 
Rob in VT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central VT/Somewhere to Retire
Posts: 1,233
Default

I have used white pines here in Vermont for breaks/screens. They are hearty in drought conditions because they have a long center tap root. They are also fast growing and cheap to purchase.

Honestly 20 ac isn’t a lot (no disrespect intended) so you will need to be smart about how to enter and leave stands without spooking deer. Find your stand locations, then build your plots around those locations. I would put in as many small .25-.50 ac plots as I can. Don’t plant the entire open area as plot, leave a buffer around the edges and let it grow tall with natural vegetation. Deer love the transition and will often bed right there because they feel safe. I use clover/chicory and brassica/turnip/radish as my main plots.

Best of Luck!
Rob in VT is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service