Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CWD article

Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Divenut2
The nearest cases of CWD are still several counties away from where I hunt in Egg Harbor WI. While I haven't felt the need to test my deer yet, I am considering it if there are any positive results in the neighboring counties. Figure it can't hurt.
I think a lot of us feel the same way.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've read that deer can have it for a year before showing any symptoms at all.

For us close to cwd areas, it's entirely possible that we could harvest and eat infected deer a year before anyone knows there are sick deer in the area.

-Jake
Old 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer can have the disease for a lot longer than a year before symptoms appear. In all the time before the symptoms appear, they are spreading prions wherever they go.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I think a lot of us feel OK until it shows up nearby then it is time to think it through and make a decision on how to deal with it.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

'Feeling ok' doesn't change the reality or the facts, whatever those may be.

I'm just saying, There could be allot of cwd positive deer running around before anyone ever noticed any sick ones.

That being said, I had venison sausage on Monday, a shoulder roast on Tuesday, hamburger helper from ground meat on Wednesday and venison steak tonight. I feel ok about that too. But have to wonder if we really know what's going on.

-Jake
Old 02-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Joe Rogan had a good podcast on the subject...

Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not trying to play fear monger here, but let's keep in mind that since this disease can cross barriers, and I'm referring to the point that plants can take this prion up and pass it to animals that forage on it, how long will be before other species such as pronghorn pick it up? The first question is: can it cross the barrier to pronghorn? If it can cross to mice, then, just maybe, it can cross to pronghorn or whatever species eat the plant. So what other methods dioes it pass? Through urine or feces. It would seem that any game species in the endemic area could pick it up from the environment. If that can be proven at some later point, imagine how hunting could be impacted in a given state.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 02-22-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/zombie-deer-humans/
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Spike

Very interesting Joe Rogan podcast! Thanks for posting it
Old 04-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Spike

Hi, you're bumming me out about hunting too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.