HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mossberg 835 ulti-mag combo VS Remington 870 super mag combo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/420243-mossberg-835-ulti-mag-combo-vs-remington-870-super-mag-combo.html)

Firsttimegunner 01-25-2019 10:53 AM

Mossberg 835 ulti-mag combo VS Remington 870 super mag combo

Hey all! I want to start shotgun hunting and I want a gun that can reliably shoot slugs and birdshot that will last a long time. I have done a lot of research and held the two guns at the gun shop and they both fit me fine and recoil isn’t a concern for me. I know the mossbergs have some troubles sometimes but I don’t know if that is older models or new models that are giving people trouble. Any help is appreciated!
Again my two choices are the Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag turkey/deer combo VS the Remington 870 express super magnum combo.

dhasemann 01-25-2019 12:59 PM

I have an Mossberg 835 and its functions well for me. I use it for turkey hunting. They are both good guns, I would get the one with the best price if they both feel good to you.

kellyguinn 01-28-2019 04:57 AM

Can't vouch for either with slugs as that is still a "to do" thing for me but I own both and both are reliable. The 835 has an over bored barrel and will give you better patterns for a turkey gun which is what I primarily use it for. The 870 seems to have more options for upgrades if you like to tinker with your guns. As far as recoil I know you said you aren't concerned but the Mossberg has quite a bit more felt recoil.

rogerstv 01-28-2019 09:20 AM

I believe a Remington 870 is superior to any Mossberg pump. The Mossberg's seem more loose fitting and sloppy. Not sure if still the case, but the military carried 870's in the past.

I own two 870's. Have a fully rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount made by Hastings. Slugs are accurate past 100 yards without issue. I do not like shooting slugs from the bench anymore. (Sighting in) So, I went to a muzzleloader.

EShoreMD 01-28-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rogerstv (Post 4351047)
I believe a Remington 870 is superior to any Mossberg pump. The Mossberg's seem more loose fitting and sloppy. Not sure if still the case, but the military carried 870's in the past.

I own two 870's. Have a fully rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount made by Hastings. Slugs are accurate past 100 yards without issue. I do not like shooting slugs from the bench anymore. (Sighting in) So, I went to a muzzleloader.

I agree. I have an 870 20g with both barrels and an 835 that is strictly my turkey gun. The 835 just doesn't seem to be put together as well as my 870, Don't get me wrong, I love my 835 and it has done everything I ask of it. Its an awesome turkey gun with the current setup. The 870 I use for deer hunting and its very accurate.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Buy which ever you like best or get a better deal on.

Ridge Runner 01-28-2019 02:34 PM

don't shoot an 835 without a slug barrel on it, the manual to my 1992 vintage 835 expressly stated "No Slugs"
RR