Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never got my deer meat back

Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

That's a strange situation. I never had a problem with our butcher but they're a local place that knows most of their customers by name. I trust them to give me back my deer not someone else's. I would not trust just any butcher though.

Best to learn to do it yourself. There are plenty of videos on You Tube on how to process deer. I learned how watching videos.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by born2climb
Sorry, but there's no way I'd take my deer to a processor thinking I might not get my own meat back.....
Me neither. Who knows how someone else took care of their kill in the field. It may have sat overnight on a warm fall evening gut shot before being found the next day. I don't want that meat thank you. Not even cooked.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dhasemann
Me neither. Who knows how someone else took care of their kill in the field. It may have sat overnight on a warm fall evening gut shot before being found the next day. I don't want that meat thank you. Not even cooked.
Shouldn't knock it before you try it. This is an award winning meat processor who does deer during the season. Hundreds of hunters trust them as do I. I trust my processor to weed out the bad meat.

I realize there are small operations who do small batches. There is a local man who does this out of his garage,. His final product is not as good. IMO.

I am highly suspect of any decent sized processor that claims you get your meat back. Different hunters certainly do not bring in the same amount of meat. Nor do they bring in amounts that weigh an even number. I know seasoning can be weighed for various batches. Do you believe they do a five pound batch, then a twelve pound batch, then a 22.75 pound batch, then a 50 pound batch, then a 7.6 pound batch, etc., etc. I doubt it.

Last edited by rogerstv; 01-15-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Rogers, what you are talking about is making smoked and sausage products. Not just a typical cut and wrap as I think the original poster is talking about. I've never used a processor for cut and wrap since processing a deer was among the first things the old man taught us right from the start. But I have done as you and taken boned out meat to a couple of folks that do some amazing work with sweet sticks and summer sausage. One of them was in PA, a place called Groffs in Elizabethtown. They make some really good Lebanon Bologna too. The old man really got along well with old man Groff. But this situation is completely different than the poster described. Even with a refrigerated hang time, that is way too long even if they are slammed.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are correct HL. I just came back to add that I am very cautious with my meat preparation. If I could find a processor who makes slim jims and summer sausage at the quality I enjoy now and promise me that I would receive my meat back, I would be a loyal customer. I've tried numerous processors over the years. Have tried products from many more in the area. Several years ago, I took meat to three nearby. I did side-by-side testing of slim jims, summer sausage, and breakfast sausage. It turned out that I liked the same one for the slim jims and sausage. I liked a buddy's recipe for breakfast sausage. So, he and I make bfast sausage now which does not require anything but pork and seasoning in a controlled batch weight. No smoke, cook, or cure.

I process my own loins, tender loins, burger, jerky, and a few roasts for deer BQ and Italian deer. Slim jims and sausage are fun to share.

Certainly not knocking anyone with the desire to get their meat back. I get it. Just doesn't happen from too many places here in Illinois. Can't. Too many hunters bringing in too much meat.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:27 AM
Spike

The two processors that I use process each carcass individually. Smoked/processed products like summer sausage, etc can be ordered full-batch, meaning that YOUR deer will be used. If you only want partial, it may be mixed with other to make up a batch, but you get the weight amount you choose. I don't care for those products, and so I get my my meat, knowing how I cared for the deer after the kill.

My brother-in-law wanted to try a new processor once. I rode with him to drop hims doe off. The owner was sitting in the shade in a chair when we drove up. It was in the 60s, sun shining brightly. There were more than 20 deer eating out on the cement drive when we pulled up. He said his skinner was late coming in that morning. My BIL dropped his off anyway, and got it back a week later. He wound up throwing it all out as it wasn't fit to eat. I knew as we drove away that it would be at best, two hours before his deer was skinned/gutted.....
Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 AM
Spike

This is the original poster, 2days after I posted this I got a call from the place I took my deer, they told me it was ready and I had my Dad pick it up (I had to work and it is a long drive) I have used this place once before and the wait was only about a week. I had bacon, balony and sausage made plus the cuts. It seems I have been shorted meat at several other places I have taken my deer so I tried this place. My wifes friends husband has a place that he uses to process his deer (and he gets lots of deer) I think I will go with them next year, two months is to long to have to wait.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

How is the bacon? Nobody local does it. And I've always wanted to try it

When having specialty items made, it's always good to have a conversation with the processor of expected wait times. Allot of times they wait until they have enough requests to do a full batch of whatever the item is. I get venison hot dogs made and they do them in a 500lbs batch. So if you take meat in early in the season, it might be awhile until they have enough requests to do a batch.

i cut all my own deer up, then take deboned meat in for the hot dogs and occasionally some venison sticks. I've made my own a few different times, but they don't come out as good, so I don't mind paying for the better quality, and the sticks that I like
​​​​-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01-19-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Spike

Smile

Bacon is made from......PORK!!!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Glad the issue is resolved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.