Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never got my deer meat back

Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Spike

Default Never got my deer meat back

Hello every one, hope this is in the right forum. I brought my deer into a butcher shop in lindstrom MN on Nov 12 2018 and I still do not have my meat back. In addition I gave these people $100 as a down payment. I have called this place several times and they have not been able to give me a good reason for the delay or when I can get my meat.
I have had many deer processed over the years and it has never taken more than 8 or 9 business days to get my meat back. I have a feeling that this is going to end up in a small claims court but I just started a new job and it will be several months before I can get any time off and I really would like to avoid this if possible.
Have any of you experinced this? If so how did you resolve it? Am I being hasty in my judgement? Any advice would be helpful..
Thx for any help
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stop calling them and go into the shop and demand to know what is going on. In addition find out if your game agency has any control over people who commercially butcher wild life. Whe you go to the shop and you get no satisfation mention to them how fast word get around on the internet and that you will make sure that everyone in the area knows about them.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's nuts I agree with the above, GO there , demand your deer or your money back, NOW
as honestly if its NOT done by now, I most likely wouldn;t want it back,a s GOD know's what they did with it or what they will give you
I would honestly just want my $$ back at this point than any MEAT they might give me, I would also report them to the game dept, and I would also let the local better business chapter know of there doings
I would also see what business lic they have, as they MUST follow some guidelines or can get fines!
I have had tons of deer butchered over the yrs, and have worked in several butcher shops over the yrs, we NEVER ever took more than a week and MOST times had things done same day dropped off,
MONTHS is crazy, and something is terribly wrong with this
I also would have NEVER EVER waited this long, allowing them this much time, is also , sorry, but your fault as well
all the more so if you have experience and know how long it should take.
so some blame sadly will fall on you here
ALL the more so if this place has a policy about WHEN you MUST pick your deer up after butchered
as I know from working in a butcher shop doing deer, MANY hunters will drop off, and NOT come back, or come back in a time frame given!, and our deal was 7 days AFTER we called and talked to you or left a voice mail stating deer was done, , after that, you come or it MIGHT be gone and depot wasn';t going back to you!

SO< we normally gave guys a week to come back after being called it was done, as after that, if they didn;t show up, we had a right to do what we wanted with it, as a STORE policy, as some of the shops I worked at were seasonal
and not run full time, so there was NO way we were going to keep a cooler running to hold 1-2 deer for a guy on our dime!
but this was always know to them before they decided to LEAVE a deer to be butchers and was also printed on the receipt we gave at drop off! with basic cut info and such and price of job!(minus any added things unknown till done!

BUT I would still go there and TRY and get a refund

just don't expect things to go your way if they had a like above policy and they SAY they called you and you didn;t get back to them
be ready to pull phone records if need be, if you wish to fight things

NEVER EVER wait this long again, , a deer doesn't take that long to butcher!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb, this is the procedure butchers must go through before they can dispose of anyone's venison that has not been picked up:

§ 147.143. Transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison.

(a) Definition.

Abandoned venison—Venison which remains unclaimed by the lawful owner at a butcher shop for longer than 10 days after the lawful owner has been notified by the butcher or an employe that the venison is dressed and ready to be picked up.

(b) Procedure for transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison.

(1) Lawful possession of abandoned venison may be transferred to any resident of this Commonwealth who is in possession of a valid permit to possess deer (PGC-90-LE) provided that:

(i) Prior to a transfer of possession of abandoned venison the butcher or an employe has notified the lawful owner of the venison in the butcher shop by United States registered mail to the person’s last known address of the intent to dispose of the venison.

(ii) The notification gives the lawful owner of the venison 30 days to claim the venison and pay to the butcher the standard labor fee for preparing the venison for consumption.

(2) After the 30-day period has expired, the butcher may transfer the lawful possession of abandoned venison to a resident of this Commonwealth who presents a valid permit to possess deer (PGC-90-LE) and if required by the butcher pays the standard labor fee for preparing the venison for consumption.

(3) The butcher shall, within 24 hours of transferring possession of abandoned venison, send by United States mail a report setting forth the date of transfer and the name, address and telephone number of the person or organization that received the venison to the wildlife conservation officer in charge of the district where the butcher shop is located.

§ 147.144. Transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison to food banks.

Lawful possession of abandoned venison may be transferred to a food bank by a butcher after proper notification to the lawful owner of the venison as set forth in § 147.143(b) (relating to transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison). Food banks or persons who receive venison from a food bank are not required to possess a permit to possess deer (PGC-90-LE), however, the report to the wildlife conservation officer as set forth in § 147.143(b) shall be made.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
mrbb, this is the procedure butchers must go through before they can dispose of anyone's venison that has not been picked up:

§ 147.143. Transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison.

(a) Definition.

Abandoned venison—Venison which remains unclaimed by the lawful owner at a butcher shop for longer than 10 days after the lawful owner has been notified by the butcher or an employe that the venison is dressed and ready to be picked up.

(b) Procedure for transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison.

(1) Lawful possession of abandoned venison may be transferred to any resident of this Commonwealth who is in possession of a valid permit to possess deer (PGC-90-LE) provided that:

(i) Prior to a transfer of possession of abandoned venison the butcher or an employe has notified the lawful owner of the venison in the butcher shop by United States registered mail to the person’s last known address of the intent to dispose of the venison.

(ii) The notification gives the lawful owner of the venison 30 days to claim the venison and pay to the butcher the standard labor fee for preparing the venison for consumption.

(2) After the 30-day period has expired, the butcher may transfer the lawful possession of abandoned venison to a resident of this Commonwealth who presents a valid permit to possess deer (PGC-90-LE) and if required by the butcher pays the standard labor fee for preparing the venison for consumption.

(3) The butcher shall, within 24 hours of transferring possession of abandoned venison, send by United States mail a report setting forth the date of transfer and the name, address and telephone number of the person or organization that received the venison to the wildlife conservation officer in charge of the district where the butcher shop is located.

§ 147.144. Transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison to food banks.

Lawful possession of abandoned venison may be transferred to a food bank by a butcher after proper notification to the lawful owner of the venison as set forth in § 147.143(b) (relating to transfer of lawful possession of abandoned venison). Food banks or persons who receive venison from a food bank are not required to possess a permit to possess deer (PGC-90-LE), however, the report to the wildlife conservation officer as set forth in § 147.143(b) shall be made.
JUST to be clear to the OP and anyone else, this is PA law and might NOT be for other states!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't have waited 2 months to get to the bottom of this...Also, I have never had someone else butcher my kills, learn to do it yourself, it's rewarding and you don't have to put up with these situations...
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Kinda tells you about exactly who,s deer meat you would get back anyway does,nt it ????
Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

If I read the OP's post correctly, this happened in Minnesota. Oldtimr's quote of game laws is from Pennsylvania but I would presume Minn has something similar. I agree with oldtimr and mrbb. Go to the shop and give them the chance to make it right. If they don't, go to the Minn game commission and let them know what happened and your attempts to get it corrected. I doubt that butcher will like having a game warden inspecting his shop in the future for game law violations.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-15-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

My local processor is 5 - 6 weeks out. I take them boned meat. They make me sticks and summer sausage which I won't do for myself. They are busy for a reason. And, I realize there is likely no way I am getting my own meat back. But when ground, jalapenos and cheese added, stuffed, and cooked, I don't care.

Good advice to go there personally and find out the deal.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rogerstv
My local processor is 5 - 6 weeks out. I take them boned meat. They make me sticks and summer sausage which I won't do for myself. They are busy for a reason. And, I realize there is likely no way I am getting my own meat back. But when ground, jalapenos and cheese added, stuffed, and cooked, I don't care.

Good advice to go there personally and find out the deal.
Sorry, but there's no way I'd take my deer to a processor thinking I might not get my own meat back.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.