HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   KY Closing weekend tips (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/420139-ky-closing-weekend-tips.html)

Accountantsanonymous 01-11-2019 11:56 AM

KY Closing weekend tips

Hey everyone. I'm going to be hunting next weekend in Kentucky, just a bit SE of Louisville. I have about 5 tree stands to pick from each day, so will play the wind best I can, but I have also purchased a small (cheap) ground blind to throw out near some bedding I stumbled across not long ago.

Are there any local KY hunters on here that can help me out with some tips for closing weekend? I'm hunting solo for 4 days, so I'm not sure doing a last day drive is going to work much. Thanks for any help!

CalHunter 01-11-2019 01:19 PM

More details would probably help for people to give advice.
1. How big of a piece of property are you hunting?
2. Is it private or public?
3. What trails, scat or other sign have you seen?
4. How hard has it been hunted?
5. Food sources, water, signs of other hunters in there?
6. Are you hunting with a bow, BP, shotgun or rifle?

You get the idea. All of those things you're considering when you make your decision would also help other members trying to offer advice.

Accountantsanonymous 01-11-2019 02:01 PM

Ah, yes. more information would probably help. To answer your questions:

1) About 130 acres, with a road running through the middle. about 35 acres on one side
2) Private land
3) plenty of trails, some beds throughout the property. Haven't been there in about 3 weeks, so I will be going in somewhat blind next thursday. I may just crawl into a stand for a few hours that morning, then scout for a while
4) It was hunted opening gun weekend (2 deer harvested via gun) Nov 11th weekend, again the weekend of Dec 15th by 2 bowhunters (nothing harvested; don't even think they knew we were there)
5) Property sits in a river bend. There are 3 different places the property touches that river. One of the stands on the other side of the road looks right over the river. There is also a small pond on the main property that sits right outside a large patch of cedars. I'm not aware of too many food sources directly on the property, but I believe there may be some alfalfa closeby on a neighboring property (not sure how to confirm this)
6) I am strictly bowhunting

Pics attached of most of property. I will try to load the other on another reply. The blue dots mark stands with the arrow/line pointing in direction facing. The red spot is where I found a large bedding area (and would like to consider putting a blind). Note that everything off of the main "grassed" area runs downhill (not too steeply) away from the grassland and to a creek bottom of some sort. In one way or another, the entire property is basically surrounded by water.

Thanks for the advice!

Accountantsanonymous 01-11-2019 02:12 PM

Here is the 3rd cut of land, across the street.