Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Looking for a whitetail state..... >

Looking for a whitetail state.....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for a whitetail state.....

Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Add Tennessee to the mix, it appears they have gun seasons into January. Need to look up public land regulations Still

-Jake
Old 12-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alabama also has long rifle seasons and can get up to 3+ bucks and then add in doe?
over counter tags too
can get maps of public lands here too

http://www.mytopo.com/products/publi...e.cfm?state=AL

and off state site for finding public places too
well under your 24 hr drive distance about half I bet!
and if you wanted you can take up spear throwing deer hunting too LOL

https://www.outdooralabama.com/public-lands
Old 12-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm inclining to think that Pennsylvania deer hunters hunt the Maryland deer herd more than the Maryland resident hunters do. I've noticed that the majority of Pennsylvania hunters are a truly dedicated bunch, who hunt the woods for deer long an hard.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Spike

Don't come to TX. 97% of land is privately owned. Deer are small compared to northern deer.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Spike

Go to Alabama

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01-08-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Alabama is looking really promising.

Probably won't make it next year, as I'm hoping to draw wyoming antelope. But definitely in the future.

-Jake
Old 01-08-2019, 03:45 AM
Spike

Alabama has the best/longest deer season in the US that I am aware of. Used to be the most laid-back as well, though political correctness is creeping in little by little.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by born2climb
Alabama has the best/longest deer season in the US that I am aware of. Used to be the most laid-back as well, though political correctness is creeping in little by little.

How does a deer herd survive a long season like that?

In Ohio we have a week of gun and then one late weekend.

In PA we have two weeks of gun.

Due to the short season, we typically hunt hard. But I feel like that if the gun seasons were that long, we'd have no deer left. In my area of PA we have about 30 deer per square mile, it's much less than that in Ohio. I haven't seen any numbers for where I hunt in Ohio, but I would guess it's closer to 12-15 dpsm.

So is there just allot more deer in Alabama? Allot less hunters? Are the deer able to hide better? Are there barely any deer left? What allows the herd to survive such A long season?

-Jake
Old 01-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Spike

We have a fairly good herd as far as I can tell. When I was a kid, we had only two weeks of "doe season", during which you could kill a buck and a doe, or two does. This was around Christmas/New Year. About 20-25 years ago, they dropped the doe season, and made it legal to kill two does a day, or a buck and a doe a day all season long. Bow season opens October 15 and runs through the end of regular season, which is now February 10. They did restrict us to three bucks a year about five years or so ago, in an effort to further reduce deer numbers by taking more does. Do the math.....two deer a day from Oct. 15 until Feb. 10.....

The vegetation here is rather dense based on what I've seen in other places. The deer have no problem hiding. Not near as many hunters as there were when I was a kid. Hunting clubs have become stupid expensive and are often more social clubs than hunting clubs.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer survive in states with longer seasons because of large land owners...In NC our gun season down east starts in mid-October and runs until January 1st...We have plenty of deer and frankly land owners manage their wildlife better than the Wildlife Commission...This was proved with the restocking of wild turkeys, land owners that hunt want their children and grandchildren to enjoy the outdoors as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.