Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please help need advice

Old 12-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I figured that is what you meant. Some can't help themselves, but throw stones. Hope you stay around as this site needs new blood.

Appears you now know not to trust the quarry until 100% confident it is deceased. I suspect you did not recover it. She may survive. I've seen several with historical wounds. One buck had 6-8 inches of arrow and a broadhead tucked under his front quarter. Deer are tough.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Deer are tough.

That's for sure!

-jake
Old 12-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I figured that is what you meant. Some can't help themselves, but throw stones. Hope you stay around as this site needs new blood.

Appears you now know not to trust the quarry until 100% confident it is deceased. I suspect you did not recover it. She may survive. I've seen several with historical wounds. One buck had 6-8 inches of arrow and a broadhead tucked under his front quarter. Deer are tough.
sadly I did not recover the bleeding got less and less till I couldn't find it anymore but i have learned a lot from mistakes that were made during this
Old 12-21-2018, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by A7x8290
sadly I did not recover the bleeding got less and less till I couldn't find it anymore but i have learned a lot from mistakes that were made during this
Considering the location of the hit, the fact that she didn't bleed out means that it is most likely non-fatal. A hit in the ham won't bleed internally. Chances are, she'll recover. As stated, they are tough. At least you made a concerted effort to determine that. Not knowing would have been worse. It was a good lesson.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A7x8290

That's what's important here.

-Jake
Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Always approach a down'ed deer from behind his body, never in front; because he might get up and pummel you with his rack or hooves. If the deer has his eyes closed --- he's just playing dead. I always have a follow-up shot ready when I approach a downed deer, and touch his body with a stick, arrow or gun muzzle from behind.
Did you have a base of the tail away shot, or a broadside? It does not sound like you hit the femoral artery. For a leg hit: Keep the deer from bedding down...and he might eventually bleed out.

If the blood trail peter's out...start making 100 yard circles around the last drop of blood. Sometimes a wounded deer will travel in a circle, to the last place he was shot.

Last edited by Erno86; 12-21-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 12-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

i dont think anyone shoots a deer in the hindquarters on purpose. deer could have moved at the shot.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
i dont think anyone shoots a deer in the hindquarters on purpose. deer could have moved at the shot.
A base of the tail (anus) going away shot placement with a properly constructed bullet, is a lethal shot placement; but a close miss just might hit the hams --- and unless you hit the femoral artery --- expect a long tracking job.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-21-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Rule # 2--7-day Temp Ban.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim

Agreed.You can never be to careful.People have been injured and killed by Bucks in this same situation as yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.