Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please help need advice

Old 12-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Spike

Default Please help need advice

Yesterday evening I shot a deer in the hindquarters she laid down real quick and looked around I waited awhile reloaded the muzzleloader and eventually went up to her about 3 feet away didn't see any breathing so I put my gun down to get my knife and she got up and ran at this point its dark I tried tracking and couldn't see very well with the flashlight I had so I went back after work with a better flashlight and it died on me I live in western NY and last night was the temps were in the teens today was 40 and back to below freezing tonight is it worth me going back in the morning to look more or is it spoiled already? The blood was spotty at times but then there would be a few big dark spots with clots then back to spotty
Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, go back and look for the deer. In those temperatures, the meat will be fine. Besides, it's your responsibility to make every effort to recover the deer regardless of temps.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my advice. If you walk up on a deer and get within 3 feet of them and they are not dead, shoot them again in the neck at the base of the skull. Instant kill and no meat wasted. What were you going to do? Cut her throat? Better to use a round than risk being injured yourself or wasting the entire animal.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Here is my advice. If you walk up on a deer and get within 3 feet of them and they are not dead, shoot them again in the neck at the base of the skull. Instant kill and no meat wasted. What were you going to do? Cut her throat? Better to use a round than risk being injured yourself or wasting the entire animal.
I didn't see breathing so I thought she was already dead I was getting ready to field dress
Old 12-20-2018, 05:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Yes, go back and look for the deer. In those temperatures, the meat will be fine. Besides, it's your responsibility to make every effort to recover the deer regardless of temps.
thank you I feel the same i just want sure if I should call in to work so I can make sure the meat was still good or if I should go to work and then go after because the meat was already bad
Old 12-20-2018, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Best advise is don't shoot deer in the hind quarters.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Seriously.

I can't believe anyone still buys into not shooting their deer in the a$$ crap ! It is sad that this kind of stuff is still being spread around to inexperienced hunters !

sorry couldnt help myself

but if you did really shoot it in the hind quarters on purpose then I guess it's good advise lmao
Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Best advise is don't shoot deer in the hind quarters.
Thank you thank you THANK YOU!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by A7x8290
I didn't see breathing so I thought she was already dead I was getting ready to field dress
Again, always verify they are dead. Touch the eye with the muzzle of the gun. If they flinch shoot again immediately.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Spike

Definitely not the shot I was going for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.