Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail Craziness

Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I would rather shoot a doe than a small buck, if we can shoot does. At my house, I dont care, I don't have enough land to manage. At camp, I shoot 6 and up. Which is a pretty low bar. Not that I havn't shot smaller. I have been lucky for awhile, so not going without. Previous two years, say 2 bucks. This year a few little and 6 I shot.

I eat them, but I also try to manage a bit. I am against government forcing it. I am certainly not going to look down my noise at someone who shoots a big buck. And I call a little BS on the horn don't matter. Darn near any guy, who would get a big one, would be excited. No one shoots big one, and says, can't eat the horns.

The down staters that spend $$$ on land, are the ones that seem to be bothered by people shooting small ones, that they feel should be their big one someday. They also say it cost $$$ to hunt and no one is saving money. Not saying I am making money on the meat. But I do know people that have the same rifle for years, and spend very little money. Farm country whee you can shoot a few, probably do come out a head.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I will. Sounds like a great hunt. Cleanly taken game and meat for the table. Perfect way to end it. I did pretty much the same thing myself:
Don't get me wrong it was a great hunt. It just doesn't spur much conversation and certainly won't keep a TV show on the air. I personally think its a bigger problem that hunting has become more about the killing than the hunting no matter the animal.

Most parents that take their kids hunting are not even teaching them how to hunt but just how to kill. Most TV shows don't even show the hunting, just the killing.

and the biggest problem for hunting is like usual......money.

Anyway my original point is I think lots and lots of people still hunt and enjoy themselves without obsessing over antlers. They just aren't as eager to jump online or phone a buddy to tell the story about shooting another average doe.

Last edited by rockport; 12-12-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
I personally think its a bigger problem that hunting has become more about the killing than the hunting no matter the animal.

Most TV shows don't even show the hunting, just the killing.
I enjoyed your doe story!

Definitely agree re: most of the hunting shows. I wish they would focus more on technique and education (scouting, habits, explaining why they are doing certain things, etc) rather than just emptying a big bag of feed corn 70 yards from a custom built heated blind and gunning down the largest buck in a herd of 30 deer. The bow hunting shows are a little better, but not by much.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blsjds
I enjoyed your doe story!

Definitely agree re: most of the hunting shows. I wish they would focus more on technique and education (scouting, habits, explaining why they are doing certain things, etc) rather than just emptying a big bag of feed corn 70 yards from a custom built heated blind and gunning down the largest buck in a herd of 30 deer. The bow hunting shows are a little better, but not by much.
They would much rather sell you a sponsors product than teach you technique for free.

In their defense though that is probably just how you have to do it to stay employed as a television hunter.

It is what it is
Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have cable so I don't know what they show really. But showing a guy walking or sitting for hours, is not entertaining TV. Yes they could narrate about the location and why they chose it.

I was going to go the opposite again of what is said here. It is killing. But people will call it harvest or such. Something soft. Also maybe its regional, but I don't get the impression at all that people are only interested in the kill. I have joked that saying it is all about the hunt, is making excuses before the season even starts.

Also around here it is still a big social event. Deer camps full, hunters staying at bars later then they should.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with a lot above here, I also sort of find many shows are NOT about killing or harvesting but almost all maybe just about SHOOTING more than anything
setting up in a big blind with creature comforts almost as if at home, on prime lands, over prime food plots(or inside woods of them)
and then a animal walks out, the SHOOTER many times ASKS the cameraman HOW far is it, as if its there JOB to tell them range of animal
and then they shoot, said animal
then hoop and holler about what a great hunter they are and SHOT and kill they just made
and got to love how many times they shoot a animal in mid day and YET don;'t find it till dark, and claim it only ran a few yards and died LOL next get into a super long range craze we have going, about shooting hundreds of yards and then some
and WHERE is the skills here in HUNTING< NONE IMO< its more about SHOOTING SKILLS Now
and don;'t get em wrong I am NOT against shooting far, been a 1,000 yard shooter since the late 80's, and learned from some of the best out there and PUT thousands of rounds and time in to learn how to
But I still don't call shooting an animal real far out there HUNTING SKILLS, its shooting skills at some point over ability to hunt things!
I also agree if its legal, well,we really shouldn;t bash too hard as anti hunters are already outnumbering us hunters/shooters as is
I just think older HUNTERS that grew up learning how to read sign, track , spend tons of time LEARNING how the animals we hunted , lived and survived and thrived, so we could find there ANY where they lived and NOT just on food plots and prime lands
find modern hunters , maybe SPOILED and well, lacking skills we earned the hard way
its a modern world, where so few really LEARN anything the hard way, its all about short cuts and just knowing enough to get BY anymore IMO
the less anyone seems to have to do to do anything, the better they seem to think it is.
and maybe for some of us older folks, we, valued all our mistakes we made along the way to becoming what WE feel makes us a REAL hunter, over some of these modern day shooters! that are sponsored by so many, and almost handed prime lands , with a lot of the scouting and work done by others, where they just seem to have to show up, and or where killing a deer maybe isn;'t so hard, as finding one on your own in an unknown area! where them hard earned skills start to come out more and I BET to those of us that have them, when we DO kill, we feel we earned things more, even if the difference between the two is small, as the name of the game I guess to most hunters is to be successful
and what every gets you there and again is LEGAL
should be OK
it will never be my style but I am old school, and I also don;t get MOST of the things today's generation feel so strongly about needing to do, or how they wish to do it
Just part of getting old I guess LOL
Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

No one wants to watch me staring off into space for hours or walking aimlessly through the woods.

I would expect a deer show to show deer. They don't making movies about ugly cars,and ugly women.

if I do see pics of game, it's nice to prime examples. It's tv. Same in real world, no one comes out of the bar to see a spike.

I don't know what the content is, if they give any good advice. It's tv.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though I much prefer dragging a smallish buck up a mountain than a big bruiser, I'm more concerned about the lack of quality antlered bucks on public hunting land here in Maryland.

Even though Maryland has certain antlered restrictions on harvesting whitetail bucks, it'll never be enough, as long as the Maryland DNR is in cahoots with the automobile insurance industry; that wants the deer herds annihilated because of deer/automobile collisions.

The way the Maryland DNR pursues with this ongoing devious trade-off with the automobile insurance industry....is that they schedule early muzzleloader seasons before the deer even have a chance to breed. I'm okay with early archery seasons...but with muzzleloaders --- unh-unh.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Even though Maryland has certain antlered restrictions on harvesting whitetail bucks, it'll never be enough, as long as the Maryland DNR is in cahoots with the automobile insurance industry; that wants the deer herds annihilated because of deer/automobile collisions."

The above is a big fat lie, perpetrated by people who do not have a clue about what they are talking about, did I say it is a lie. Insurance companies do not lobby state game agencies to reduce deer herds, why would they. If they start losing an unacceptable amount of money through deer vehicle collisions, they just increase rates for the policies. This same nonsense has been bandied about in PA for years as well by people who just think they have to create a reason for there not being enough deer for them to be happy. It is not true, it is nonsense and a load of BS. The only thing devious thing going on is the snake oil salesman trying to sell fake information. BTW, did I mention it is a lie?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

So OT, was it the game commission or the insurance companies that released all the coyote, mountain lions, and big feet?

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.