Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail Craziness

Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
The single minded emphasis on antlers will be the death of hunting in the future. Most non-hunters have no problem with hunting for meat but they do have an issue with hunting strictly for trophies.e.
Yes takling to women in the family, they are can't eat the horns, when i say I passed over small buck. Not that I am trophy hunting, but I do pass over the real small ones. So on the opposite end of that, as women trickle into it, you could have less mature bucks.

In my area of the country there are still lots of people who take small bucks, to fill the freezer. I am not agains that I had meat this year, and been lucky for awhile. But I had a long dry spell, and have had times I didn't care about size
Originally Posted by tatonka
IThese days we have more posted signs than hunters, people are buying a.... ......Food plots and trail cams up the ying yang, mineral supplements being put out, hunters buying every gadget under the sun, etc.

Unless you live in Vermont or Maine, no one gives a hoot about body weight. I read a story recently about a guy whose family bought a 3,000 acre farm and then hired a manager to run it and watch over it as they lived in a big city somewhere or another.

ts!!!!
Little whiney.

You want to hear about body weight in UP, go Y101 wesbisite, 11/15-11/30, 7eastern to around 9, and they will read off all the weights from the bars and places that check deer in. Not legally required to check deer in either.

I enjoy managing my land, playing on the tractor and running a saw. If I was rich and had 3000 acres, I would probably pay someone to help. Without guilt. Hard enough keeping down trees off my trails, in my little area.

I really enjoy trail cameras. Almost more than hunting. It sort is like it. You wait, scrolling through bunch of bird pics. and all sudden a buck pops up. If I couldn't afford cameras, I would till hunt, but I have some disposible income. Some years I get busy and don't get around to it.

Where I am from deer hunting is a big deal. Opening day is a holiday. I believe some schools still close down, like they did up until the 90s. One place I worked at they voted to use the floating holiday for opening day, this was in 2000s, and probably still do.

What does get me is men who don't hunt, or miss opening day, and are just casual about it , I am to busy this year. But I am all for guys going gonzo on it. We need hunters. As numbers fall so does our voice with the DNR. Not a problem in this part of the country now, but if numbers got to low. Kids are not getting into like they used to. My era kids did it cause it was manly.

As for posting land, mine is not posted, not many people around. But I get it, lands expensive. I don't like people either.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Before my time, but i have read the white tail craze started around the 70s. They were just meat, and deer camp experience. Then you had Larry on the cover of whatever magazine it was. Maybe the horn craze has gone up, but numbers have gone down.

What does irk me, is the trophy hunters who think they are more important. They act like you shot their future buck, if you shoot a little one. All the whining about predators, from folks that don't really get out that much or make an effort.

I really hate resticted antlers. I don't need the government telling me how big my buck has to be. Make criminals out of folks who misjudge, or encourage dumping the animal .
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

What I like about white tail, is you can go every year. No lottery for bucks. You can do it every year. The western states, where you can't hunt every year, would be weird for me. Though I realize elk produce a lot of meat, same with bigger stuff in Canada and AK.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

tatonka, at first i thought you were from Pa. thats what its like here,too. t. shaffer and i grew up in the same town here in Pa. i dont hunt for horns as they cant be used for anything other then to put on a wall. there is a lot and i mean a lot of posted ground in my area. game lands are getting crowded as the hunters that cant find open land to hunt are going there. for the past 5 or 10 years the game commission has been complaining of license numbers dropping. wonder why. guess it takes some people w while to smarten up.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure it is smarten up thing. That is like saying you are more import then the next guy. I am in the middle. I would like a trophy, I eat them. Plus it is the wrong attitude, I sometimes feel after putting in the effort I just want something, or my ego
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

In talking to different people who find out I hunt, I've found that non-hunters are all over the board on hunting. Some have hunters in their families and tend to be more supportive. Some aren't opposed to hunting but want to make sure you're using the meat and not wasting it. A lot of people seem to think that a trophy hunter only keeps the horns and wastes the meat. Most people have no idea about health of a herd or why you would want to remove the older animals before they die a cruel death by starvation, etc. I agree that a lot of shows don't represent the hunting that most of us do. But I can't recall a single non-hunter bring up the topic of some hunting show that he or she watched. From what I've observed, most non-hunters seem to have developed their opinions based on other peoples' statement and feelings. IOW, sound bites and emotions. Some are willing to talk and learn more about hunting. Some aren't. Just the way it is.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Never had a person in the midwest question if I was eating deer. Bears I have.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

yes sir mr.slim & i grew up in the same small hometown & i can't tell you how back in the 70's we had all the available property to hunt on. & it was never crowded either. alot of good times & memories were from that era. now today everything is being posted or leased. not bad mouthing farmers but why all of a sudden are the farmers kids charging a arm & a leg to hunrt on there parents property? yes for the added income but why are they saying cash only? you know they are not claiming it on their taxes.yeah i know it's only a couple of grand but if i was to do something like that i would get caught & pay a hefty fine .like i said it's becoming a rich man's sport.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=t.shaffer;4348293? you know they are not claiming it on their taxes.yeah i know it's only a couple of grandrt.[/QUOTE]
Good for them. I am tired of being taxed on every single thing I do.

Interesting you see more people know. They say less people hunt. I am from an area with large amounts of state and national forest, plus corporate. UP really is sportsman paradise compared to what some people have.

I have my own land, but I would say most, or many, people have their camp on their own land but hunt public. Maybe more out of towners own land. I still hunt public some, and every year I tell myself I should be hunt more public land, to see different deer than are at my place.

Many people up here illegally leave blinds up for decades on public land. But so few people, I don't consider it an issue.

As less people hunt, this may simply work itself out.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In many states, a hunter can only take one antlered deer and multiple doe. In my experience, bucks with large racks also have large bodies.Shooting the freezer full of mature doe, plus one large bodied, large antlered buck sure seems to make sense - and fits the legal restriction of many states.

I might turn biology on your argument: it's proven that taking immature deer - filling the freezer by being less selective in how you fill your tags - is damaging to deer population both in quantity and quality. So my neighbors who tout themselves as "meat hunters," who shoot any deer they see walking to fill their freezers, are doing statistically far more irresponsible damage to the deer population than those of us who selectively pick off mature, big bodied, big bodied bucks, and mature doe who have already produced multiple seasons.

"Rack records" have been on the books a very, very long time. We've recognized large bucks by inches rather than pounds since before WWII in many states, and it's impossible to say that there isn't an incentive to harvest a large buck. But it's asinine to pretend the nutrition and genetics which yield big racks doesn't also yield big bodies.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-10-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.