Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How did you make out this season so far? >

How did you make out this season so far?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did you make out this season so far?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default How did you make out this season so far?

How did you guys do this season? Any interesting stories or encounters?

Rifle season ends here in NY this weekend and for us, it seemed a strange 3 weeks. Lots of rain, really mixed temps, full moons, and it never really seemed like the rut was in full force. But still a lot of quality time spent in the woods.

I was able to harvest a doe on opening day, and my 18 year old son harvested his first deer ever (6 point buck) a week later, so that was really exciting.

I learned a LOT from this site and look forward to coyote hunting this winter.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

We've had a good season so far. I still have one more weekend in PA, a late season and muzzleloader season in Ohio, and I may go out for special regulations hunt in January as well. That's a slug gun/antlerless only hunt.

For having limited time, we've done well. My wife filled both her doe tags and missed a dandy buck.

I've gotten a 5 point and two doe and still have a buck tag to fill and several antlerless tags.

Took a hog in Florida and had fun chasing
turkeys this year even though I didn't get any.

I'm blessed.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 12-05-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Spike

Sounds like a good season, Jake!

Fall turkey season ended Nov 2nd. They came out of the woodwork on Nov 3rd ha ha.

- Dan
Old 12-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Spike

One coyote killed so far this year ,seeing small bucks and doe deer .
Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Spike

2018 Ohio buck
Attached Thumbnails How did you make out this season so far?-20181126_142705_1543299343575.jpg   How did you make out this season so far?-20181126_142729_1543299341757.jpg   How did you make out this season so far?-20181126_142705_1543299343575.jpg  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by billyboy
One coyote killed so far this year ,seeing small bucks and doe deer .
I'm generally happy as long as we're seeing something ha ha. The Friday before opening day, a freakin' coyote was walking right past where our blind is set up. Definitely hoping to take it out soon...

Originally Posted by Mathews Halon 6
2018 Ohio buck
Very nice! How long does the season last in Ohio?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Have taken a doe and a small 6 point and still have a month left. I also got to see ywo bcks, a spike and a 4 point fighting over two small dos. This was about 15 yardsin front of my tree stand. None worth shootng but made for an interesting morning.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

I am in the snowbelt of lake Superior. Lots of small bucks this year. But it all depends on how the winters go. Last two years seen gut piles there on 2nd day. Seeing rabbit tracks too. Maybe wolves migrated out of my area. I didn't have them bear hunting, but I didn't use a lot of meat.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Early muzzle loader I got a small doe. I got a 2 yr old 9 point buck during modern gun season and my son harvested a small 6 point.

Plan to take 2 more does late muzzle loader season if we are lucky enough. If not, 3 in the freezer will do. In the state we hunt, this year they allow us to take 4 deer on one tag instead of just 2.

Had a interesting weekend after shooting the 9 point buck. In the state I hunt you are allowed 1 buck a year and unlimited does. That will become relevant later in this story. I shot the 9 pt at 2 pm so I dragged him out of the woods to where we could easily get him at dark with the utv. Got back in my stand to continue hunting for a doe. At 5 minutes before end of shooting light, I had a large buck walk out at 25 yards in front of me. Had to let him walk since I had filled my buck tag. Would have been an easy shot. Two days later in the same stand, I had another large buck walk out at 75 yards. Once again had to just look on in awe. I have never seen bucks that large in my 12 years of deer hunting. Dang the luck. No regrets though, I like meat in the freezer and a bird in hand is always better than one in the bush. A monster on the wall will be nice someday. Maybe those two will make it thru the year and be even bigger next year.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Didn't see a deer between two hunters for WI rifle season. Same for the Muzzle loader Season.
Do think poaching is the problem.
I will be Muzzle loading MI starting tomorrow.
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.