HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Looking for hunting area around Buda, Kyle, San Marcos Texas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/419767-looking-hunting-area-around-buda-kyle-san-marcos-texas.html)

beacatron 11-29-2018 03:27 AM

Looking for hunting area around Buda, Kyle, San Marcos Texas

Hey everyone. I live in Texas, lived here for about 7 years now. Avid hunter but currently only get to do it once a season when I go back to Mississippi to visit family. Looking for someone that may be willing to let an ethical hunter rifle hunt some land. Would be willing to help around land or working something out for letting me hunt.

Need any info, feel free to message me. Thinking this is a long shot, but never know.

flags 11-29-2018 04:24 AM

Good luck. If I was you I would register for the Texas Hunting Forum. That's what I did when I landed in TX.

beacatron 11-29-2018 09:09 PM

Cool thanks for that info. Did you find a hunting location through that?

flags 11-30-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by beacatron (Post 4347759)
Cool thanks for that info. Did you find a hunting location through that?

Yep. All I shoot is does for the meat and there are guys that want to thin their does down every year and you can do cheap hunts to fill the freezer. Got a guy down by Austin that wants a bunch of does shot and will let you take as many as you want for $100 a head. Found him on that site. Got another guy by Comanche that has the same sort of thing but he wants a little more. Good site for TX hunters.

Champlain Islander 11-30-2018 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4347767)
Yep. All I shoot is does for the meat and there are guys that want to thin their does down every year and you can do cheap hunts to fill the freezer. Got a guy down by Austin that wants a bunch of does shot and will let you take as many as you want for $100 a head. Found him on that site. Got another guy by Comanche that has the same sort of thing but he wants a little more. Good site for TX hunters.

Sounds like if you don't score on a private land hunt in TX it is hard to find pub land. Compared to CO where there is a ton of open hunting land that must have been a little hard to get used to flags.

flags 11-30-2018 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4347770)
Sounds like if you don't score on a private land hunt in TX it is hard to find pub land. Compared to CO where there is a ton of open hunting land that must have been a little hard to get used to flags.

Most of TX is private. There is something like 4 million acres of public land scattered across the state but tags for those areas are pretty much a draw. The fee to hunt for does is mostly a trespass fee sort of like the big ranches in MY and MT for mulies and pronghorns. I go to CO once every 2 years to hunt mulies with my brother (as a matter of fact I leave this afternoon to do just that) but the cost of a NR tag is kind of high. I can take 4 does off private land here in TX for what my NR tag in CO cost this year. I know one guy that lets me shoot does for free but that isn't a deal the OP will get into unless he gets to know people.

TX hunting is kind of a different beast.

Champlain Islander 11-30-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4347772)
Most of TX is private. There is something like 4 million acres of public land scattered across the state but tags for those areas are pretty much a draw. The fee to hunt for does is mostly a trespass fee sort of like the big ranches in MY and MT for mulies and pronghorns. I go to CO once every 2 years to hunt mulies with my brother (as a matter of fact I leave this afternoon to do just that) but the cost of a NR tag is kind of high. I can take 4 does off private land here in TX for what my NR tag in CO cost this year. I know one guy that lets me shoot does for free but that isn't a deal the OP will get into unless he gets to know people.

TX hunting is kind of a different beast.

Good luck on the muley hunt with your brother. I am meeting up with my younger brother tomorrow for the BP opener here in Vt. He too is a retired Chief. Think he stayed in 21 years and his views are amazingly similar to yours. He has been out around 10 years. I think one of his best duties was Sere instructor in Maine. I think he still carries his challenge coin. LOL
I was in a couple of Texas AF bases in the late 60's. Never had the time to hunt though.