HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What's deer season to you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/419694-whats-deer-season-you.html)

Bocajnala 11-20-2018 01:40 AM

What's deer season to you?

I've gone through a few distinct phases throughout my hunting life. But one thing I've always returned to, and have always enjoyed, is deer camp in Pennsylvania.

Even a few years when I was already tagged out in archery I still made the trip to camp and went out and sat in the morning with someone and then helped recover deer/ put on drives/do camp chores etc. for a few days. I always make sure I save a tag now.

Our camp is in West- central pa farmland . Not a mountain camp like many others in the state. But we still have a camp feel. As a kid it wasn't uncommon for us to have a full roster on Monday ( PA used to require a camp roster for everybody hunting) and then 10-12 guys throughout the first week. The two Saturdays would always fill up again.

We'd sit until 9 am then meet up to start putting on drives. Back then we were able to hunt lots of farms and we would drive all week long. When the three day doe season came in, we had a 'blast' literally. I distinctly remember 13 deer in my uncle's truck after a pair of drives one morning, most of the party had their doe before lunch that day and we quickly filled the rest of the tags that afternoon. The deer were plentiful. It wasn't uncommon to see 100+ deer in a day. Big bucks were few, but I've never really chased big bucks anyway.

Remington 760s, 7600s and lever action .30-30s were most common. I remember watching a cousin shoot a doe at 600 yards with a .264 win mag and I was amazed at the shot and at the rifle.

Things have certainly changed. Many of those farms are now leased and managed for big buck. Many of the members have passed on. And their kids have grown up and moved away. We no longer have specific doe days where we only focus on hunting doe(I always have loved hunting doe) and we don't see 100 deer a day anymore either. There were a few years we stopped shooting doe entirely as the population plummeted in the early- mid 2000s. We no longer shoot spikes and 4 points either now. There's still a few pump guns that show up every year.

But it's still deer camp, and I still love it. Dad, several uncle's and a few great uncle's, a few cousins, a best friend, a sister and the wife now make the trip. We still put on some drives, although not as many or as far as we used to. The land access just isn't there now. Every season someone gets a 'big buck' ..... At least a couple nice 8 pointers every year. These bucks were basically unheard of for us 15 years ago but antler restrictions have certainly worked in that sense.

There's just something special about deer camp. I love being able to archery hunt in Ohio (sept-feb is a nice long season) and I've hunted a few other places as well. But none of them are as 'special' to me as deer camp.

There are some beautiful areas in this country. And I'm often envious when I see pictures of hunts out west, or in Alaska. But certainly thankful to have gotten to grow up and experience what a traditional deer camp is like and I hope I can pass some of that on to my kids as they begin their own hunting journeys over the next few years .

What's deer season mean to you and what makes it special?

Bocajnala 11-20-2018 01:49 AM

Couple of pictures of our camp

Myself and my dad with a 7 point I took while driving.

My wife during small game season

Myself and my 1 week old son, grandfather, and father

-Jake

JGFLHunter 11-20-2018 03:25 AM

The hunting club I was a member of in GA I really enjoyed. Being around the campfire, having all the teenagers skin and quarter the deer, having kids round up the dogs, and just have a good ol time. I do miss that. The hunting club I’m in now, we all just do our own thing. Have a couple numbers Incase I need help or something but I really just call my brother if I need help. I love being in the woods. It doesn’t matter if it’s hunting, help blood trailing, or scouting. It’s all about the new things you always learn around the camp that made it special.

t.shaffer 11-20-2018 06:38 AM

hunting camp back in pa was really fun .had alot of uncles & friends & neighbors do alot of deer hunting. i believe my brother jim is about the only one that hunts now & his son is in the military now so he hunt's alone.here in ohio we use to have about 10 guys that went to southern ohiofor a week. again they got married ( got hooked to the ball & chain ) started to raise family. i myself have hunted since i was 12 & will be turning 60 on dec 1 .have hunted every season . but the good thing now that the guys have boy & girls that are @ a responable age & started to take them out for deer hunting. my best friend has been hunting with me now for about 3 years now & was absent about 10 from the program. my son hunts the first day & that's about all. but i make my own little deer camp & eat alot of venison . hopefully the orginal deer guys get back to together & carry on the tradition.

t.shaffer 11-20-2018 06:41 AM

jake enjoy your time with your dad hunting . my ole man & that's what i call him & that was not out of respect passed away 22 years ago & i would give anything in the world to hunt with him again. i would go as far as never shooting a deer just to bewith him again . now for him he could shoot any legal deer

Mr. Slim 11-20-2018 07:03 AM

tom, i knew your dad and all of your family. we used to have a great time hunting small game out on substation road. the Bufalini's and my brother Tom and I and your dad and brothers used to chase a lot of rabbits and ringneck out there. i sure miss those days. hunting is getting hard for me as my knees arent what they used to be. im happy if i make it up to the edge of the woods for deer season. might have to look into getting a ATV to get around on. brother Tom and Harvey, RIP and hunt in heaven.

t.shaffer 11-21-2018 03:08 AM

mr. slim yeah buddie i remember those day's hunting up on substation road. now i believe it's all posted. many a ring neck & rabbit's came off that area. even a grouse or wood cock. i remember deer hunting back there too. boy what would it be to go back in time & redo it over again. really miss those day's.

flags 11-21-2018 04:53 AM

Deer season to me is a chance to hunt with my brother and fill the freezer. Now elk season back in Co (when I can make it) is a totally different thing.