Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting buck out during day

Old 11-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the morning before dawn...set-up halfway between his bedding area and water source. Try to figure out his escape routes from the shooting mayhem that's about to ensue. You can possibly ambush him as he's trying to sneak away, by setting-up in a long hedge or tree row. Tree islands in the middle of a field might be one of his hiding places. It's a little late for rattling antlers. But if you do use them...I would paint them blaze orange first. Grunt tubing also works.

It's possible that monster bucks can sense you're presence, just by the mental brain waves that you put-out. To avoid that...think of swirling colors in you're mind, when the buck is nearby.
I'm not sure whether that mind process works or not...but I try to perform that mental task, whenever I go hunting for whitetails or bear.

On the scent issue: May I suggest getting a long fresh cloth rag --- soak the tail end with deer estrus --- and tie the remaining rag to back belt or backpack as you travel to your stand --- as you let the tail of the rag drag along the ground. Tie it some feet away near your stand. Warning!!! --- Not only will the deed might attract a buck...it might attract a pack of wild dogs, coyotes, wolves or even a bear to your stand as well. That happened to me some years back --- while bowhunting in Maryland ---- when I drew a pack of wild dogs to my tree stand. I was just glad I was sitting in my tree stand and not on the ground.

Wear scent-free rubber boots.

I spray a water diluted form of Hydrocide Xtreme on the outside of my clothing...which acts as a severe odor counteractant for urine, vomit, skunk musk, feces & so much more --- Even though it has a fresh, light, "green approved" fragrance.

Good luck...

Erno

Last edited by Erno86; 11-15-2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added a sentence