Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad eye sight

Old 11-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody's eyes are a little different. I've used tinted lenses, a kind of amber color works best for me, kind of a combination of yellow and red (but not orange), a moderate tint, not a dark tint. The same tint makes driving in fog a lot easier. I also use a good pair of low light binoculars. All binoculars aren't the same, they all have coatings of some sort and the coatings vary in tint and filter. Just luck, but the binoculars I have now seemed to work best for me and I noticed later the color of the filter was almost the same tint as my glasses, kind of a red yellow amber. All binoculars have filters to keep you from frying your eyes with UV, finding a pair that filters UV without degrading low light is the trick. I was lucky, my optometrist was an old timer, a hunter and was willing to work with me to get the best results.

Most people see movement much better than they see shape. For some people the ability to see stationary shapes in a cluttered low contrast background is better than other peoples. Vision acuity doesn't have a lot to do with it. I look for motion, often the first thing I see is the twitch of an ear, then all of a sudden my mind fills in the rest of the shape. I scan with binoculars, then switch to my eyes, then my scope. I've done it so many times over so many years it is natural for me. I'm also really good at picking things up in my scope first try, I rarely have to search any.
Half light is the worst for me. I see better in the dark than most people, twilight gives me issues.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I would get a good eye test done, maybe she has issue's with certain colors, and if so, maybe wearing a colored lens might help her see things better
that and try to get her to focus more on movement then and NOT just look for a DEER
once she finds movement, have her use binoculars to ID things better than!

and I woudl also make sure she is 110 % sure of any targets and what's behind them before shooting
poor eye sight can be dangerous when holding a weapon!
Movement is the key. Once they stop moving, deer blend in with their surroundings. I tend to notice a tail flicker or simply walking before I notice the whole deer.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timmyd1924
In the woods she has a hard time deciphering deer.
Doesn't sound like bad eyes to me. Sounds like she needs training or experience spotting deer in cover. Perhaps she's looking for whole deer rather than a horizontal back line, an out of place patch of white, legs against the snow, a bit of movement or other things one looks for. My rule of thumb is that "everything is a deer until proven innocent".
Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good to know about thermal imaging. she hunts on private land and shoots in a direction no one is.
there is NO such thing as JUST a safe direction where NO oen is, as anyone can some how BE some place, trespassing is a super common deal in a LOT of places, so NEVER take for granted NO one is there or near by a modern centerfire rifle bullet can travel a few miles without a problem
so, KNOWING and being able to see what is behind a target is SUPER important in being SAFE

and thermal imaging, is AGAIN Illegal in a LOT of states, doesn;t matter if its ON private land or not, if its NOT a legal hunting tool, its NOT legal, just due to you own land!
rules are rules, you know LOL

if you read on some ,of the Steiner: Optics actually marker several of there products that are designed to see certain colors better that help you see game like deer in the woods
as again HOW one see's colors matters in how well they can spot game!
might be worth looking into there optic's
Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably a trip to a good eye Dr would be in order where she can describe her problem and perhaps the eye Dr may have a solution.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

She wears contacts, and it helps. I think its just harder for her to pick out the deer because they do not contrast enough.
Even with contacts she should be wearing shooting glasses. I've never been able to wear contacts, allergies. But if they are anything like glasses, they are usually tuned to lifestyle. Maybe her lenses are tuned to driving, or closer in work?
Scratch resistant ballistic type glasses, with a custom tint are expensive. I'd do some serious trials before I spent the money.
One thing I did discover was standard 50mm flat round lenses are cheap and adding a custom tint, not all that expensive. The lenses and tint are typically a quarter the cost of stylish type glasses. Another tip, work welding glass (standard 50mm round and some other shapes) is covered a hundred percent by my insurance. And they have never questioned the tint code. I periodically have to reorder my welding glass, I order two pair with different tint codes. Every few months is normal, after a few years you have a collection of tints.
One tip, a tint that works well in the fog also seems to help low contrast in general. The same tint hat works for shooting or hunting for me also works well in the fog when driving.
My optometrist was great, he dimmed the lights and used non reflective photographs, He also set me up with loaner glasses that had easily replaceable lenses. He had a whole selection of lenses and tints that I could try out for awhile before I laid out the serious cash for the scratch resistant, ballistic, custom tint glasses.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had cataracts bad, two different types, one type in one eye another type in the other eye. For awhile I was legally bind. They replaced my Corneas, the down side is I have a fixed focus now. I've learned to deal with it, mostly.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I recently had cataract surgery, I had multi focus lenses implanted. I now only need reading glasses for small print and I can see the bead on my shotgun and I can also clearly see the front sight blade on my handguns. There have been some great strides in improvement of vision.