Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting In Hot Weather Thoughts And Questions >

Hunting In Hot Weather Thoughts And Questions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting In Hot Weather Thoughts And Questions

Old 10-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I shoot a deer I'm very confident it will be down in seconds. I am a little more picky on my shots when its warm but really should be that picky all the time.

Don't take shots that are questionable.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went first two weekends. Saw a few deer. This I had to work. For once I was glad it was warm. This coming weekend a cold front is moving in. Should be a nice weekend.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

a dead animal starts to fill with gases as soon as it dies, hotter the weather the faster this happens, SO at some point YES it can ruin meat
but also remember that teh same insulation deer have to keep them warm in winter also helps keep heat out(to a point)

I fully agree with the best thing to do is try and maybe be mroe picky with your shots, true trophy hunters might NOT care about meat at all just want the head and antlers? and many don't even care about teh cape< they will buy one if needed?/
But even when you ONLY take what looks like sure kills, THINGS can and do happen and that can lead to a missed or less than perfect shot

remember a arrow is still traveling a LOT slower than the speed of sound and many deer have been known to JUMP /move before an arrow gets there, even one's that were DEAD calm prior to the shot/release of arrow or bolt!
and that can lead to a bad hit, as can a simple twig you DIDN"T see or???
I have seen folks miss some SUPER easy shots over the yrs up close and personal, and have seen equipment fail at crunch time just as I have seen human error!

it happens, but when it does, you make the best effort you can and best decisions
I know over the yrs I have TAGGED wounded deer shot by others, as to me was just the right thing to do(even did this on a very expensive hunt in Alberta) so I will not call myself a trophy hunter at all
but I have been known to let a lot of smaller critters walk waiting for w=something that motivates me to have to drag it out LOL
Old 10-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

If us FL hunters had to wait for sub 60 degree weather we wouldn't get to hunt until Dec. I've hunted plenty of times in 80F in Dec at that. Yes you need to get to the game quickly, but if it dies in the shade or water you got extra time. In most of the swamps I hunt that is nearly guaranteed. Field dress the animal as quickly as possible and get it one ice. I've shot deer in the morning and not been able to recover until after lunch before with no issue. Like someone said earlier questionable shots produce questionable results. And that needs to be considered before releasing an arrow.

Something that can really cut the time down between shot and recovery is a dog. Last year as I was coming out of a swamp I seen a guy that looked like he was looking for blood. I eased over talked to him and he had shot a doe, but lost blood. My neighbor had a young Beagle so I ran back to the house and borrowed the dog. Never been on a trail and he took us straight from the arrow to the doe approx 50 yards from the shot in a thick area of palmettos. shot was a little high with no exit. start to finish the dog had the deer in less then 6 minutes I timed out of curiousity.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Yep. The hunting in Florida is usually on the hot to warm side until December and January but by then the hunting Is pretty hard. Pick your shot and not rush it. If you want meat you have to hunt. Don’t let weather stand in your way. I bring water or Gatorade in my blind when I sit. The thermacell is my best friend when hunting. Just have to be smart and hunt the favorable wind. Field dress as soon as possible and ice it or hang in refrigerator room. If the heat bothers you don’t go and wait for the cool front to move in. Everybody is different with heat. Some like it because they can pattern the deer and can almost get the deer they desire. Once the rut starts to occur all the preseason stuff and patterns are gone. Bucks can come and go. Up to you it’s your decision. For me, I always go and have the best success early season (bow season) here in FL. Once October ends a lot of the action stops. Into the second week of November deer activity is way down and post rut kicks in.

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 10-08-2018 at 04:22 AM.