HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   New hunting spot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/419200-new-hunting-spot.html)

hunter86 09-26-2018 06:32 PM

New hunting spot

What do you guys look for when you come to a new area? I know what deer tracks look like/deer rubs/scraps, I'm mainly referring to the terrain and types of trees or plants or anything else you would mainly look for as a sign this could be a potential area for deer movement? Thank you. Looking to buy 15 acres of land that I know has deer in the area but wanting to become more knowledgable and improve the area.

Berserker 09-26-2018 06:44 PM

Not saying can't hunt 15 acres. I hunt at home, only 5. But when buying smaller tracts of land, what is around may be more important.

hunter86 09-27-2018 01:21 AM

Mainly wooded, 30 acres of government next to it. Used to be a small strip of corn a farmer planted but not anymore.

Berserker 09-27-2018 06:51 AM

I spend lots of time cutting trails on properties. Animals like it and so do i. You can watch tracks to pick up natural runways. Sometimes limited by good trees for stands or good spots for blinds.

nice to have more than one that work for different winds if possible .

if you do food plots or baits you are going to bring to you. Or set near apple trees. Though mine are bare by gun season.

Berserker 09-27-2018 07:04 AM

You can only do what you have time for. But encourage trees I want and cut others. I sickle ferns to get light, and put stakes up for spruce I want.

for blinds I like to be on ridge if I can. I have cut trees or branches that block view. Don't clear cut.

MudderChuck 09-27-2018 08:01 AM

I look for places where cover meats more open areas. The better IMO is where woods changes to pasture with some bushes at the edge of the trees. That is often where they prefer to feed, the younger newer forage at the edge of the forest. They will also graze the Clover and Rye in a pasture.

In heavy brush areas I cut lanes through the brush, it makes for better shooting and also for new growth.

Oak and Spruce can be big draws, Acorns and Spruce tips.

I've planted a lot of browse near the edge of the woods, everything from Grapes to American plum. Plum is hard to get started as the Deer eat the leaves. Grapes are a lot easier, they grow fast the leaves aren't particularly attractive for browsing but after the first frost the Deer go crazy for the Grapes. Frost Grapes are really sweet.

rogerstv 09-27-2018 10:21 AM

I agree with surrounding may mean more than the said 15 acres. Given a large tract, in addition to the obvious sign I'm looking for inside corners of fields; large mast trees with low grass/weed cover making for ease of finding/eating; and pinch points especially a draw within a draw thus creating a saddle.

Jimmy S 10-02-2018 10:16 AM

I prefer to hunt three places - Edges, Edges and Edges.

Erno86 10-02-2018 10:37 AM

Eastern whitetails prefer the tasty (non-bitter) white oak acorns over any other types of acorns. They also love red sumac leaves and berries --- including hickory nuts.

Whitetails prefer eating the other types of acorns later in the fall and winter, after rainwater has blanched out some of the bitterness.

Whitetail bucks love to rub on red cedar trees, because it makes there antlers smell better and stains them red as well --- but beware --- that deer ticks like to hang around buck rubs.

I also try to avoid setting up my stands in lowland areas, because the wind (other than mountain thermals) swirls around so much; it's hard to tell which way the wind is coming from --- Though shallow mountain draws makes it easier for deer and humans too traverse.

RabidSniper308 10-05-2018 04:54 AM

I look for cover primarily but obviously a perfect scenario is good cover and a food source close by. Something you can do on such a small tract that will attract lots of deer, primarily in early season, is to plant an apple tree.