Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Newbie Question About Deer Population >

Newbie Question About Deer Population

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie Question About Deer Population

Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Spike

Question Newbie Question About Deer Population

I am new to deer hunting and my question is how many deer should I harvest in a given season to maintain a good population. Of course I know I am limited by my county bag limit, but I have friends I like to invite and I don't want to over hunt the deer population. Here are some details:
  1. I have 250 acres in central Texas right on the Brazos river. Very rural, surrounded by other farms for miles, so deer migration is easy and likely. Lots of coyotes too so that probably impacts fawn survival.
  2. Last year I set up my cameras and started feeding. Last year's data showed 4 bucks, one of which is a legal spread, and one MIGHT be a legal spread. There were also does coming in, but just not sure how many individual does, my eyes and the pictures... I'd say between 3- 5 does.
I have set up my cameras again and will start seeing what deer come in, but for sake of argument let's say I have 2 legal bucks and 4 doe coming to my feeder. So my question is what limits should I place on harvesting in order to assure good population in years to come? 1 buck/2 doe? 2 bucks/2 doe? Something else? Is there a good rule of thumb to follow?

Thanks!

Last edited by EddieD; 09-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a simple answer. Typically deer population goals are set based on the number of deer the land can sustain without degading the habitat. An involved analysis of available food capability vs deer numbers is developed and a sustainable deer population estimate is arrived at. This is monitored and adjusted as necessary over the years. That said, the optimum ratio of bucks to does is 4 to 1 in WI. That's the number of does a buck will breed in a year.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone View Post
Not a simple answer. Typically deer population goals are set based on the number of deer the land can sustain without degading the habitat. An involved analysis of available food capability vs deer numbers is developed and a sustainable deer population estimate is arrived at. This is monitored and adjusted as necessary over the years. That said, the optimum ratio of bucks to does is 4 to 1 in WI. That's the number of does a buck will breed in a year.

Do you mean 1 to 4?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Spike

I live in Texas too and I would suggest you talking to your local wildlife biologist. Some Texas game wardens are good sources too. Usually one call to a local wildlife biologist can help you learn more about your area than you realize and they are usually more than willing to tell you anything they can. You can find wildlife biologists at different wildlife management areas, state parks and wildlife refuges near you.

I would at least take 1 doe for myself and probably not let my friends hunt, lol. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
Do you mean 1 to 4?
Oops. Yes I do. 1 buck to 4 does.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
I live in Texas too and I would suggest you talking to your local wildlife biologist. Some Texas game wardens are good sources too. Usually one call to a local wildlife biologist can help you learn more about your area than you realize and they are usually more than willing to tell you anything they can. You can find wildlife biologists at different wildlife management areas, state parks and wildlife refuges near you.

I would at least take 1 doe for myself and probably not let my friends hunt, lol. Good luck.
Good suggestion. Thanks. I talked to my friends and they are cool with my restrictions the deer hunt. Lots of hogs for everybody!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

For rattlin...I think I read that three bucks to one doe is a good ratio. If you shoot a monster buck...I would try to avoid shooting his gene carrying mate. How do you know the doe was his mate? Because the doe is generally residing in the monster buck's core (heavy brush for bedding and hiding) area.