Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
First gun for canadian hunter, sks or mossberg? >

First gun for canadian hunter, sks or mossberg?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First gun for canadian hunter, sks or mossberg?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are still basic plain jane slugs and honestly many do work very well, all the more so at close range, I have some what custom built 11/87 slug gun, have two barrels for it, a pure custom slug rifled barrel and a 18 inch smooth bore with a rifled choke tube that screws into nit! choke
and with plain old sty;e rem cheap o slugs, it will group about an 1-1/2 at a 100 yards and do a HAIR better with the dedicated slug barrel and top shelf sabots
and them cheap slugs pack a bunch of energy to knock down deer
but again, when shooting slugs, its about WHAT one's YOUR gun likes or doesn't, high costing rounds don't always be the one's that work the best either!
but you have to shoot things to know, and not buy based on marketing or adds!

and yes having a job sounds like a better way to get things in life too! sooner or later we all have to get a job and grow up and buy our own toys LOL
Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Geeze I thought every Canadian had one of these in his closet (endfield 303 above)
just like every American has one of these two, either 12 ga 870 rem or 30/30 marlin

Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sacha
Hey guys,

In about 1 year I will be able to get my PAL and so I am considering which firearm I should get (I plan on hunting whitetails).
Over the months, I narrowed it down to 2 very different gun, a Russian sks and a mossberg 500, probably with slugs.
Now, since I live in Canada I can't start throwing 30 rounds mag or mag tube extensions on it.
Why these 2 guns you ask? The answer is very simple, I'm broke AF, and sks's are dirt cheap in Canada and a shotgun is very versatile, from shooting deers to ducks to defending your home (even though that's very improbable, because Canada)
Reloading is something that I'd like to try eventually, but it's pretty much impossible in my current situation, because my mom won't let me build an ammo plant in my bedroom...
So considering many of you have much more experience than me, what's your opinion?
If you are broke, you need a better job not more hobbies.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im not sure if "better" is a correct reply in this case.
So yeah, maybe getting a job would help.. Yeah, that's not a bad idea :P