Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer >

300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer

Old 09-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
Then how are you defining "best", if you know they will all kill it?
Are you just trying to be an ass, or does it come naturally? Clearly I have stated that I know any bullet will kill a whitetail out of a 300wm. But there is a big difference between a 150 grain and a 215 grain. There’s also a big difference between Barnes and Core Lokts. Will they both kill the deer? Yes. But I’m looking for least of amount of damage, aka bullet blowing up with a lighter bullet at faster velocities at short range. I know bullet selection is subjective, just wanting to see what others have used. Thank you to the few people that actually provided feedback.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Rem, i have a 300 H&H mag that i shoot 165 gr. STBT out of. i found that bullet seems to work well out of that gun. one thing you have to remember is that with the heavier bullets moving at faster speeds there is a chance that the bullet can shoot straight through. a cousin had problems with his 7mm mag shooting 180's that went straight through deer and loosing them. no blood trail because the bullet didnt open up. maybe he just wasnt hitting them in the right spot. in my opinion, try the 165s and see how they perform. if you reload try not loading them too fast.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rem7002310

Are you just trying to be an ass, or does it come naturally? Clearly I have stated that I know any bullet will kill a whitetail out of a 300wm. But there is a big difference between a 150 grain and a 215 grain. There’s also a big difference between Barnes and Core Lokts. Will they both kill the deer? Yes. But I’m looking for least of amount of damage, aka bullet blowing up with a lighter bullet at faster velocities at short range. I know bullet selection is subjective, just wanting to see what others have used. Thank you to the few people that actually provided feedback.
Sorry, I didn't notice all that in your first post..., oh nope, none of that when you were asking. Just what is "the best". Now all of a sudden you know it all.

Are you an ass or just the typical 16 year old?

Never mind, I don't care what you think.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the yardages (150yds and in) that you mentioned and the velocities of the 300mag i'd probably recommend a bonded bullet for sure like the Nosler Accubond or something similar. If your going out to 300yds and beyond I think a standard cup and core would be fine but probably wouldn't be a good choice at close range from the 300mag. As for weight I personally like to shoot light for caliber bullets so if deer is the only thing you're hunting i'd probably go with the 150gr especially in a bonded bullet. Good luck! Mike
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite bullets from a 300 SAUM and a 300 RUM are 150 TTSX or Etip from the SAUM and 168 Etip or 180 Etip from the RUM. These are great bullets and are not greatly destructive but kill well. Bonded bullets would be my other choice out of a large Magnum.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

most of us have read through dozens of threads concerning the best rifle, cartridge or bullet selection, most people try to promote or defend their personal favorite's
few people stop to look at things from the view point of using ballistics and related math or bother to think through realistically the ranges the effect on game, their choices will have.
most people fail to realize that most game is not that hard to kill given good shot placement and a knowledge of the games anatomy, nor do they consider the fact that far more game,
is killed at well under 250 yards than at greater ranges.
theres not a game animal in north America that a 270 win or a 30/06 won,t kill with a single well placed shot, if a fairly heavy well designed bullet is used by a rifleman familiar with the games anatomy.
that does not necessarily suggest they are ideal, universal choices, simply because their effective use is dependent on getting the ideal or close to ideal shot angles to allow the vitals to be penetrated and destroyed.
those of us with extensive experience generally tend to have seen enough game shot to appreciate the fact that heavier for bore size projectiles do tend to penetrate deeper.
theres not a deer or elk on the planet that could survive a well placed shot from a 165-210 grain 30 caliber bullet from a 300 mag from a broad side , heart/lung impact.
but if your only shots a raking angle through a ham, through the gut and into the heart/lung, vitals its going to require extremely good penetration, and increased inertial mass, and a thick jacket allow that.
theres a good reason many country's suggest a minimum caliber for large game, larger bore mandate more massive projectiles, and the increased mass and resulting retained inertia energy insure a bit more penetration, on impact.
most hunters are not as good of shots as they imagine themselves to be under field conditions. you can make a good deal of money betting the average guy can,t hit a coke can at 150 yards on his first shot,
shooting off hand or even sitting, and theres no bench rests in the field ,, those tight 1" 100 yard groups shot from a bench rest are meaningless ,now add a shot of Adrenalin, when that hunter has seen an exceptional trophy, and hes breathing hard from walking over rolling terrain , and its a damn near sure bet, he won,t hit within 3 inches of his intended point of impact. Given the true conditions, and you have no control over the shot angle, and that game will tend to run away from a threat,leaving you with a less than ideal shot angle, it's frequently an advantage to select a slightly heavier 180 grain-210 grain projectile weight in a 300 mag

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...free-box-of-50

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/eld-x#!/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...tzer-box-of-50

Last edited by hardcastonly; 09-20-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
most of us have read through dozens of threads concerning the best rifle, cartridge or bullet selection, most people try to promote or defend their personal favorite's
few people stop to look at things from the view point of using ballistics and related math or bother to think through realistically the ranges the effect on game, their choices will have.
most people fail to realize that most game is not that hard to kill given good shot placement and a knowledge of the games anatomy, nor do they consider the fact that far more game,
is killed at well under 250 yards than at greater ranges.
theres not a game animal in north America that a 270 win or a 30/06 won,t kill with a single well placed shot, if a fairly heavy well designed bullet is used by a rifleman familiar with the games anatomy.
that does not necessarily suggest they are ideal, universal choices, simply because their effective use is dependent on getting the ideal or close to ideal shot angles to allow the vitals to be penetrated and destroyed.
those of us with extensive experience generally tend to have seen enough game shot to appreciate the fact that heavier for bore size projectiles do tend to penetrate deeper.
theres not a deer or elk on the planet that could survive a well placed shot from a 165-210 grain 30 caliber bullet from a 300 mag from a broad side , heart/lung impact.
but if your only shots a raking angle through a ham, through the gut and into the heart/lung, vitals its going to require extremely good penetration, and increased inertial mass, and a thick jacket allow that.
theres a good reason many country's suggest a minimum caliber for large game, larger bore mandate more massive projectiles, and the increased mass and resulting retained inertia energy insure a bit more penetration, on impact.
most hunters are not as good of shots as they imagine themselves to be under field conditions. you can make a good deal of money betting the average guy can,t hit a coke can at 150 yards on his first shot,
shooting off hand or even sitting, and theres no bench rests in the field ,, those tight 1" 100 yard groups shot from a bench rest are meaningless ,now add a shot of Adrenalin, when that hunter has seen an exceptional trophy, and hes breathing hard from walking over rolling terrain , and its a damn near sure bet, he won,t hit within 3 inches of his intended point of impact. Given the true conditions, and you have no control over the shot angle, and that game will tend to run away from a threat,leaving you with a less than ideal shot angle, it's frequently an advantage to select a slightly heavier 180 grain-210 grain projectile weight in a 300 mag

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...free-box-of-50

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/eld-x#!/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...tzer-box-of-50
I agree with most of what you say, but the bench is a good place to figure out which bullet or brand works best. And it is good training for the basics. Squeeze the trigger, control your breathing etc. How many rounds you practice with doesn't mean much if you are sloppy, you have to gain good shooting habits until they are automatic. While hunting, the vast majority of the time, the first shot is the only one that counts.

Good shooting is basically consistency. Sure field shooting is going to be different/harder than a bench, but the fewer variables the better. Good bench shooting habits carries over into the field.

Being a good shooter and being a good hunter are two different things. Being both increases your chances.

Basically if you can't do it on the bench at a hundred or two hundred yards, it is doubtful you'll have much success in the field. And hitting anything well over three hundred, is likely to be more luck than skill unless you practice a lot.

I spend maybe 3-4 times the time and energy tracking other peoples screw ups, than I do with my own hunting. A lot of hunters out there that are marginal shots and/or they take too many iffy shots.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-20-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

yes a bench rest is a great place to sight in your rifle and get it to print a consistent small group, impacting 2"-3" above the cross hairs,aim point,
at 100 yards and to verify what bullet design potentially produces the best and most consistent groups, once youve found the best ammo, and regulated the rifle to place the shots ,
where you want them, you should spend the vast majority of your time learning the skills required to approach bench rest accuracy from the rapidly acquired field positions

heres my 340 wby sighted in at 3" at 100 yards and again at 3.5" at 100 yards
what rifle or caliber you prefer is less important than having the skill and confidence in its use and experience to accurately and consistently place shots as you intend too from field positions , personally I prefer a 250 grain 338 diameter bullet, but I doubt my results would have changed if Id used a 150 grain 270, win or a 200 grain 300 mag.
my late hunting partner preferred a 250 grain bullet in a 358 win BLR, he used a similar sight in method and had excellent results as well.
its not the equipment selected (within reasonable limits of course, )as much as the confidence and skill of the rifleman using it)
Ive sighted in 3.5" high and you can basically ignore worrying about trajectory issues where I hunt because its been decades since Ive seen an elk under hunt conditions past 300 yards
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... t=f630255c

3" high

3.5" high

you simply sight in at 100 yards off the bench on the yellow dot and have all the shots print over the smaller red dot,when you get out in the field, hold where the light green dot is it will produce a fatal wound out a bit past 300 yards, you sure don,t have to use this method or even agree but I can assure you its resulted in a bunch of dead elk

Last edited by hardcastonly; 09-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, one of the guys I hunted with for decades used a 7mm rem mag , he used various bullet weights from 150-175 and was not all that thrilled with the rifles power or his results,
he was rather convinced the rifle lacked knock down power (it certainly did not lack power or accuracy)
as he has consistently shot 1" 100 yard groups with almost all his hand loads off the bench rest, at 100 yards,
but for about 6 years even having several opportunities on hunts to shoot elk,
he would make a shot , while hunting, and the elk or mule deer would run off,

we would spend an hour or so looking for evidence of a hit and come up empty.
he was convinced he was a great shot,but I never once saw him practice shooting anyplace but on the bench.
well, one year after missing a standing elk at only 200 yards ,with several of us watching,
he became convinced his scope must have shifted zero.
I had a few orange sticky dots in the truck, and a sheet of cardboard we leaned up against a steep hillside,
we backed off 200 yards to duplicate the distance, and he tried several shots.....he totally missed the cardboard backer, that was about 18" square,
convincing him the scope zero had changed, but before he started changing the scope adjustment,
I suggested another hunter in our group try a couple shots......both shots impacted about where we had sighted in the rifle,
about 1" high at that range, I then tried 2 shots, and my bullets impacted well inside of 3-4 inchs of the orange dot also.
I suggested he try a couple more shots, (but purposelessly made sure the chamber was empty)
the reason he missed, was obvious to everyone, he had a flinch you would think he developed from using a 458 mag!
he always used a 25 lb bag of lead shot behind the rifle butt on the bench, but subconsciously , he knew that without the bag the rifles recoil was much more noticeable
no it was not abusive, but he still flinched like it was a 458 win with a solid steel butt plate,
it took months for him to admit he needed practice and once he found he could use a PAST recoil pad in a shooting vest
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google &utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Range+Accessories&utm_content=699899&cm_mmc=pf_ci _google-_-Shooting+-+Range+Accessories-_-PAST-_-699899&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5ar567HK3QIVhD1pCh3k7QZEE AQYAyABEgIWL_D_BwE
his field accuracy greatly improved
Old 08-30-2021, 03:37 PM
Spike

the Picture of this Elk is 1 Reason that Newbies End-up with Gut Shots - They were Never taught Any better
Attached Thumbnails 300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer-elk-shot-deadly.jpg  

Last edited by Kenstix; 08-30-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.