Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dressing for success ...

Old 11-02-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Dressing for success ...

In previous years (before I knew whether I was going to hunt seriously or not), I bought cheap thermals at Wal-Mart, then couldn' t figure out why I was cold in the field.

Now I understand the value of quality thermals, and the value of layering. In this forum, though, I have read that cotton is a no-no next to the skin. I just want to make sure that I understand clearly - does this mean that I shouldn' t wear my trusty BVD briefs and T-shirt? Those poly/fleece thermals don' t look real soft-goods friendly (if you catch my meaning ) ...
Old 11-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dressing for success ...

I wear my briefs but no t shirt. The long underwear are plenty soft.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:38 PM

Thanks, Jersey Hunter. I' ll do a lot of things for the pleasure of being outdoors, but foregoing the briefs seems cruel and unusual ...
Old 11-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

id have to say military polypropalyne(sp) is about the best ive ever wore..i slept in it one night and started to sweat with no blankets so i had to get out of them... hunting all i wore was them and my coat and pants..pants were just brush pants or if real cold i wore insilated bids...i gota find a pair..i outgrew mine just like everything else....they were great....theyd keep you warm and dry..and let you breath...but it was easy to over dress thinking they wouldnt be enough and id sweat and freeze...you gota learn what to wear before the hunt...i usually always underdress now that they havent fit me in a few years...i rather be chilly then sweating and freezing...and i never wanted to strip and remove layers...and packing stuff is a hassle walking 2 miles 1 way....this year im going to try to be smarter about dressing so i can sit longer.....3 hours in the snow was about all i could take last year.....same with dad and he dressed heavier...its like being in a freezer...cold outside sitting in snow.....
Old 11-02-2003, 07:08 PM

I wear several (3) t shirts for layering; all cotton and very comfortable. The heat stays in and I figure the scent does too. Add a shirt and jacket ; it' s hard for the cold to penetrate 5 layers.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

When lj' s are required I just wear the polyproplene lj' s and shirts, I use Helly Hansen and they are very soft/comfortable (no problems with " da boys" ). Cotton againist your skin is to be avoided as it retains moisture and when wet will become cool, yes this includes briefs, tshirts, etc. You' ll find that polyproplene underwear if you buy the proper size will fit or conform to your body, thus keeping everything snug Adding more layers may help but if you sit and are damp at your core it defeats the purpose. You' ll find wearing a good blend of layers will allow to actually wear less clothes and stay warmer. Polyproplene garmets against the skin and layers of fleece or wool, then follow that up with gortex or similar fabric to stop wind and moisture from entering from outside(these fabrics are also breathable which is important to staying warm). Don' t forget to keep your head, neck, feet and hands warm as well.