Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Mold or Mildew Problems in Deer Stand? >

Mold or Mildew Problems in Deer Stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mold or Mildew Problems in Deer Stand?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default Mold or Mildew Problems in Deer Stand?

I am putting up a wood framed elevated enclosed hunting stand in a low swampy area located in eastern WI. I am trying to sound proof it by having some indoor/outdoor or automotive carpet on the inside. Has anyone had mold or mildew issues in an enclosed stand strictly due to humidity in the swamps? It is water tight and has metal sides and roof with windows so water from rain or snow should not be a concern. Any thoughts you can share will be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will need air flow or it will happen, to help sound proof some blinds I have made and used, we always used the sheet foam from Lowe's or like places, 4x8 sheets and then fit form it tight to walls and ceiling , using construction adhesive to hold it in place! on floors we used carpet and just replaced as needed, always used treated lumber too and deck screws that will last in it!
we always added vents and place small screen over to keep spiders and such out but still have air flow
Old 09-13-2018, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to think about closed cell foam pads jigsawed together rather than carpeting. Not only would it not absorb moisture, it would be less usable for mouse nests.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been in several, but none located in a swamp. All interiors covered in carpet. Cheap and disposable when soiled. I would try free (used) carpet if available for one season in lieu of purchasing materials that will likely mold and mildew anyway. Air flow will be a key factor.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:51 PM
Spike

Thanks Bob,

My stand has a peaked roof with a 6 inch overhang on all sides. I was going to seal it up tight but after reading these replies I will install some wall vents and vented soffits to finish it off. Thanks for the help!