Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
.270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots? >

.270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default .270 vs .30-06 for 400 yard shots?

Hello, this is my first post here. I apologize for coming so close to asking the old question that makes everyone moan and groan but I want to ask your opinions on my particular application.

I hunt my family farm and joining personal property in NC. My deer are pretty small and a 200 lb buck would be sure something to talk about.

I am by choice primarily a woods guy that likes getting close and usually spend more time with archery tackle or a .30-30. I have long preferred the 06 for more consistent blood trails and less bruising up close than the .270. Yet I have never really tried to shoot much past 200 or so.

I have a much older vastly more experienced hunting friend (gets a heck of a buck almost every year, also a 1000 yard wildcat guy) that just shakes his head and says that as pressured as our deer are around here that the best way to see something good is fill the feeder up, wait for the November fun, and shoot long while never ever going into the woods and spooking up the area. He says the crazy pressure from our hundreds of small farms and our fickle mountain winds just makes hunting close too hard for the big old bucks. He has advised me to start treating older bucks like another species and to stop doing the stuff that fills the freezers with does.

My property has a spot where I know I could get a good predictable 350-400 yard shot if I decided to practice up and try it that way for a change. I can't get closer without blowing my cover, I can indeed back up as I gain experience if needed.

I am concerned about terminal performance on my small deer. I wonder if at that range if the lighter faster remaining bullet speed of the .270 (probably a 130 or 140 SST) will trump the .30-06 165 SST ( assume everything is handloaded to near book max levels)? I will not shoot if it is clearly windy, and I can practice the elevation. What I can't change is bullet performance at reduced speeds and energy vs diameter (whatever that is actually worth). I know this is not really long range at all and that I why I am hoping to not need to get into the 200 grain VLD class of bullet.

Over the years I have already worked out my clear preference for the .30-06 within 200 yards but I need your help working out what to at least expect at almost double that yardage.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check a ballistics table for each cartridge. You'll find that the trajectories are not so different that you could blame the cartridge for a miss, and the 30-06 will have significantly more energy at 400 yd. Can you shoot that far accurately?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Check a ballistics table for each cartridge. You'll find that the trajectories are not so different that you could blame the cartridge for a miss, and the 30-06 will have significantly more energy at 400 yd. Can you shoot that far accurately?
No, not yet. That is off the table for this season. I just want to sort this out and know what to practice with this spring. And I am not asking about which one will be easier to hit with trajectory wise. I am wondering about which one will work better kn the terminal end for smallish deer at reduced speeds. I am worried about poke throughs. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I've killed plenty of pigs 300-400 yards with my .270win. Never shot a deer that far. But it's plenty lethal for my FL piggies. Practice practice practice. Wind starts turning into a real issue after 300 yards. I run 150g SSTs. being pushed in the 2900fps range. It flat out hits them like a mack truck. FYI there is quit a bit of poi drop after 400.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
I've killed plenty of pigs 300-400 yards with my .270win. Never shot a deer that far. But it's plenty lethal for my FL piggies. Practice practice practice. Wind starts turning into a real issue after 300 yards. I run 150g SSTs. being pushed in the 2900fps range. It flat out hits them like a mack truck. FYI there is quit a bit of poi drop after 400.
Thanks, on the very long shots on pigs does the 150 SST hold together or break up?
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt woods, under 100. I do enjoy playing with ballistic calculators for setting my scope up. I happen to use Nikon spot on.

my guess if you are hunting farm fields and it runs no big deal. WhixWhich is why some guys will say it is just as dead with my little gun. Where I hunt if it runs, it is a pie. 270 has shot lots of deer. Never used one I go bigger. I would look at trajectory and if you can seypt you scope up for the ranges youveantvwith 3006. I like to set up so I I just aim for most shots, but know 5he path if need too, such that I am plus or minus an inch or so at my close ranges.

I'd get a range finder if you got some extra cash. I might do that before buying another gun. I know some will say people shot deer without them, and I agree. I can afford peniciln, so if needed it I would buy it, even though many got by without. I wouldn't buy $$$ but I am tight,

Last edited by Berserker; 09-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

I don't believe it really matters in this instance . Shoot whichever you are more comfortable with. Sounds like the .30-06. both are perfectly fine at 400 yards .

-Jake
Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 AM
Spike

Smile

I agree that you should shoot with whichever one you feel more comfortable with. Also, take that advice about getting a big buck only at long distances with a grain of salt. There are a lot of uncontrollable variables including LUCK. Although, how much time does your buddy spend in the field, does he watch for sign and patterns? There are a lot of things you can do to improve your odds and I think the first (and most fun) is just getting out there in the field. Just my two cents... Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

I am guessing distance gives you lots of freedom. Noise and movement not as much of an issue.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Either will work. 270 will shoot a little flatter but the 06 carries more down range energy. Pick which one you like best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.