Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

LOST 8PT GONE IT SUCKS

Old 11-02-2003, 03:50 PM

Default LOST 8PT GONE IT SUCKS

I LOST THE 8PT TODAY SHOT IT IN THE SHOULDER WITH 243 AT 15 YARDS WENT A MILE AND THEN LOST BLOOD. I TOOK MY RAT TERRIER WITH ME TO HELP .BUT NOTHING . LOTS OF BLOOD AND THEN NOTHING.SHOT THE DEER IN THE SHOLDER AREA. I HAD MEAT ON THE LIMBS TO . I AM DEPRESSED WRIGHT NOW. PLUS THE HEAT ADDS UP TO NOTHING.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: LOST 8PT GONE IT SUCKS

Damn, that really stinks.

Old 11-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2003, 04:32 PM

sorry to hear that,it makes you sick to the stomuck to lose one like that.I and my wife shot the 243 and have only lost two,(one for me ,one for her) in all our hunting.those two were enough.[:' (]
as Rackassion said,put it behind the shoulder and you want lose as much meat and a lot more chance of not loosing the deer. that being said,some times the shot just doesn' t go where you want it.the shot must have been a little low." SORRY" I know that doesn' t help,but we all learn from our mistakes.I don' t want you to thik I am blasting you,that is not the case by any means.just a though or to to try and remember.
If you hunt,at one time or another you gonna lose one.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

The " Meat on the limbs" part makes me think you may have hit somewhere other than the shoulder area. Regardless he is gone now. Just curious about something, a hunting friend of mine shot a odd racked buck a few years ago in the shoulder with a .257 Roberts. The deer ran off. The next fall he shot the same odd racked buck in the same area with a neck shot and killed him. When he dressed the deer there was the bullet, a red tipped ballistic tip, splattered on the shoulder bone area. Were you using a ballistic tipped bullet?
Old 11-02-2003, 05:00 PM

I COULD NOT SEE WHERE THE SHOT HIT BUT IT WAS CLOSE TO THE LUNGS AND SHOULDER AREA,THIS UNFOLDED IN 5 SECONDS. SHOT WAS QUICK.I OPEN SIGHTED THIS DEER.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:32 PM

Bobcat, I used to hunt with a 6mm, which is the same sized bullet as the .243. I once shot a 5 point in the shoulder at about the same distance as you, and it didn' t put him down. The bullet lanced off his shoulder but lucky for me, it bounced off and took enough of his heart that it killed him relatively quickly. I learned that if you shoot them a little further back and get a good lung shot with the 6mm (.243) they' ll run further but you' ll find them within 100 yards.
Sorry to hear you that you lost him. It happens, unfortunately...
Old 11-02-2003, 07:22 PM
jjt

i have only lost a blood trail once but it ended up being a chunk of his guts had pluged up the wound

i looked for an hour or so and found the deer about 45 yards from where the blood stopped

however by the sound of your post
SHOT IT IN THE SHOULDER WITH 243 AT 15 YARDS WENT A MILE AND THEN LOST BLOOD.
it sounds to me like you hit low in the shoulder damageing muscle and no bone and no vitals

at any rate it sucks for you and the deer
Old 11-02-2003, 09:10 PM

Still planning on going back and looking some more? The meat won' t be any good, but the rack should be fine. If not through just some luck in finding him soon, maybe by smelling him or seeing buzzards you could finally find him....
Old 11-04-2003, 10:02 AM

Thats too bad, srry to hear/read.

Quick Reply: LOST 8PT GONE IT SUCKS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.