Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
looking to hunt for first time >

looking to hunt for first time

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

looking to hunt for first time

Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 AM
Spike

I absolutely agree with the others who have stated to go hunting with a seasoned hunter. You will learn much quicker off them than a book or watching videos. There are a lot of small things that matter in hunting and a seasoned hunter can show you the ropes
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
This sounds very unusual. I've never heard of a tee stand being mandated.
I have but only on some military bases where there are a lot of buildings. I used to hunt deer on Fort A.P. Hill in VA around the barracks and you had to be in treestands. They wanted all shooting there to be towrds the ground and it was all archery and buckshot in that area. Took a lot of deer there.

But I have never seen this requirement any place else.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Apparently NC allows municipalities to make their own hunting restrictions in addition to the state laws. We can be glad we don't have to endure that nonsense. NC's rule book has a county by county list of local rules. Here is the ones in Moore Co. where the OP wants to hunt. Elevation is required.

Moore l In Sandhill and Mineral Springs townships: (1) hunt any game animal on another’s land without possession of written permission of the owner or lessee; (2) hunt with a rifle of greater than .22 rimfire caliber or capable of firing .22 centerfire ammunition (ie. .223, .22-250, .222 etc are not legal firearms under this law), except that a blackpowder rifle may be used when positioned at least eight feet above the ground. Please refer to township maps for Moore County on County GIS website. l Shine a light on deer between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise. l Hunt deer on the land of another without written permission dated within one year. l Hunt, take or kill deer on, from or across a right-of-way of any public road. l Hunt deer with dogs unless each dog bears a collar, tag or other identification with the owner’s full name and address.

If you think our laws are complicated you should read NC's laws and regulations. Every Co. and municipality can have different laws than the state laws.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-16-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt deer on Fort A.P. Hill in VA around the barracks and you had to be in treestands. They wanted all shooting there to be towrds the ground
Here is the ones in Moore Co. where the OP wants to hunt. Elevation is required.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I'm lucky here in Kansas as the laws aren't that complicated.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RabidSniper308
I absolutely agree with the others who have stated to go hunting with a seasoned hunter. You will learn much quicker off them than a book or watching videos. There are a lot of small things that matter in hunting and a seasoned hunter can show you the ropes
Sure better. But I wouldn't let a year go by, if he can't.

As for county laws. Mixed feeling. Sure is alot to keep track of. But every county can be different, wooded , farming, homes. Lots of states have a map of shotgun zones. Lots of states list rules by zones.

As long as the county rules make it into DNR book for state, it might be better.

WI few years ago got rid of shotgun zones and left it up to locall. I havn't heard of counties do anything. Some probably did. I havn't looked at WI book in awhile. My concern would be rapidly change rules.

How many times have people complained about rules made at capital of state that don't fit the rural areas?

My bigest concerns would be DNR officers that would persecute people and go after them for being on county line.