Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
looking to hunt for first time >

looking to hunt for first time

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

looking to hunt for first time

Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default looking to hunt for first time

ok i just called the WILDLIFE COMMISION and told them i wanted to go deer hunting she told me to purchase a license and who i was getting the license would ask me if i had the safety course and let me know where i can take the course - i really want to go deer hunting - is this what i should do ??
Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Of course it is, why would the wildlife commission lie to you. First you need to take and pass a hunter education course and obtain a hunter ed card showing you passed, then you can buy a license. Judging from your total lack of knowledge about hunting I recommend you find and join a sportsman's club where you can interact with seasoned hunters and learn from them before you just go out and try to hunt blind.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Having someone to learn from would be your best option after you take the required safety course for your state. Normally the classes are not all that long but they are very informative and beneficial not to mention very fun. (at least is was back when I took them). Not sure of your age or whether you may be a vet or not but there are several groups on social media that are willing to help out. If you like you can message me on here and I can give you a little more information.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

read this thread most of its content applies in most areas

Florida Whitetail Experience
Old 08-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

What state you are in and access to land would slighty intereting. But aside from that, getting a license is a google question for your state. They are all different.

Can you shoot is the other question? If you can, and you have access to public or private land, go take a whack at it.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Spike

i`m 68 next month - a VIETNAM VET - hunted before but the 2 legged veriety - just wanna try deer hunting tasted venison and i do like it -my wife makes a mean stew - so i guess the safty course is next in line - i live in N.C. plenty land here but i did hear in my county [ MOORE COUNTY ] i need to be in a tree stand unless i`m using B.P.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do to learn the rules of hunting. Being a combat veteran does not necessarily prepare you to be a hunter other than knowing how to shoot a rifle. The more you learn before you take your hunter education course the better off you will be. The hunter education course is not a class on how to hunt, it is just the beginning of becoming a hunter. If you know any hunters it would be in your best interests to contact them and see if you can pick their brain and learn as much as you can about deer hunting. For example, to you know how to field dress a deer after you ill one and how to handle it after that.? Hunting deer is so much more than taking a rifle and going out into the woods and killing a deer. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Download or pick up DNR hunting regs. This varies a great deal from state to state. Where I am at you would not have to take hunter safety due to your age. Hunting hours vary. All kinds of stuff.

I am pretty much self taught on gutting. I was shown once on my first deer at 14, but then didn't didn't get one for awhile. Not saying I am great at it But I do the job. Now a days you got youtube. TV used/has self imposed rule about gutting, to not turn folks off I think.

Not saying you can learn everything from a book, but doesn't hurt. Don't take them as gospel. But try to pick a little something up from them all.

Some is goign to just depend on how many deer you got. If you are in warm weather farm country, you may get lucky.

No matter what I would get a tag and go sit somewhere this year. Don't let another year pass, cause you don't know, or have anyone to talk to. You may not get anything. Hopefully you learn something, and hopefully just have a nice time in the woods.

One benefit being warm country, you don't need to spend alot on clothes. You want to spend enough money starting out that you enjoy yourself, but not blow a fortune, on something you may not stick with, or junk you don't need.

If you can get a doe tag, it will greatly increase the chance of gettig some meat while you learn.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would spend a bit of time practicing shooting. A hard kicking deer rifle or slug gun is a bit different. Need to get used to the rifle and trigger. Most hunters don't practice enough IMO. Not that they don't get deer. Take some time thinking about what range to sight in at, and what caliber and load to use. There are tons of calibers, you probably won't go wrong. Personally I like 7mm/ 30 caliber. But smaller has become popular with modern bullets, If I was going smaller I would use a quality bullet.

Where I am at people either use a ground blind or tree stand, if sitting. Sounds like no ground blind for you. So you need to think about what kind of tree stand you are comfortable using and what you can carry out or get out to the woods. If public land need to know how long you can leave it out, and if you feal comfortable leaving it out for the season, where you are at.

Having to carry in and out every day will limit options. If you can drive up drop one off it would make difference. If you got private land you may want to build something. I enjoy building blinds. I got wood one that is like a ladder stand, but bigger and a lot more comfortable.

As you get close to season stuff starts to go on sale, and gets cheaper after the season. So if stuff you want for next year look around December. LAst year I get checking, until the item I wanted went on sale. You could probably do craigslist and such too.

So myself, I would figure out what rifle,, where I can hunt and what I will need, and if you need hunter safety. Its all coming up pretty fast. I don't know how booked up the classes are. After those 3 things start thinking about details.

I would not let another year pass by, no matter how unprepared you are. Sometimes you just learn on the way.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i live in N.C. plenty land here but i did hear in my county [ MOORE COUNTY ] i need to be in a tree stand unless i`m using B.P.
This sounds very unusual. I've never heard of a tee stand being mandated. The regulations will probably tell if it is true. What often is mandatory is hunter orange, and you probably ought to be wearing it even if it is legal not to do so.

Hunter safety is the first thing, then knowing your regulations. If you can get a mentor, that is great, but whether or not you are able, read,read, read. Learn how to gut a deer. A Butt Out tool is very useful for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.