Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Copper bullets better for deer Hunting? >

Copper bullets better for deer Hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Copper bullets better for deer Hunting?

Old 10-09-2021, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Tommymix
Mono-metal bullets can penetrate 15 percent deeper than bonded bullets and as much as 30 percent deeper than conventional jacketed bullets. And for some big-game hunting, deeper penetration is vital. Not so much for deer-size game, but when it comes to a raking shot on elk or moose, it becomes most important
Horse hockey, lead copper clad bullets have been doing their job for a long time. I killed my elk with a lead bullet and it was a clean pass through and a dead elk before it took 3 steps.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I think people are good with what they have confidence in. In my case about 15 years ago I tried some Barnes TSX factory loads in my 06 after having some accuracy issues with Nosler loads on the range. I got the new bullets all dialed in with my rifle and was really impressed with the performance when I used them on whitetails. I had a chance to step up to larger game like woodland caribou and elk and decided to switch to Barnes 180 gr TSX in Federal factory loads..I never switched back and feel that load is devastating on anything that walks. I own several boxes of that particular ammo and unfortunately Federal no longer uses Barnes bullets since some corporate buyouts happened. Once my supply gets down I'll investigate other factory loads that do use the Barnes product.since I don't reload.