Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best 243 bullet for deer hunting? >

Best 243 bullet for deer hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best 243 bullet for deer hunting?

Old 07-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Remington core lokt 100gr. in my .243 rifles, killed alot of deer with that round!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll try to keep this short...

From 1980-2016 I owned one centerfire rifle, a 1980 M-77 Ruger in .243...I bought it new, with a Bushnell Scope and later upgraded to a VX-II 3x9x40 Leupold in the late '90s...I've killed over 300 deer with this rifle...Now, realize that I live in NC, with a gun season that lasts from October until January, we own 3 farms and must keep the population in check...

From 1980-2000? all I used were 100gr Remington CoreLokts and had no problems...I got a wild hair and decided I wanted to try every factory ammo suited for deer and see the difference...Frankly, the lower priced Remingtons, Federals and Winchesters killed as well as the so called premium bullets...In fact, on center lung shots, the deer went down quicker...Sure, the premiums would usually get an exit but they did a bit less internal damage so instead of dropping 40-60 yards from the hit, they might go 75-100 yards...

After a few years, I went back to the 100gr CoreLokts, my hunting buddy settled on the 100gr Hornady InterLocks...One bullet that did stand out was the Sierra GameKing 85gr hollow point that Federal loaded at that time...It was fast, flat shooting and penetrated much better that we thought it would...Of course, Federal quit loading it a few years back...

During this same time my brothers, nephews, friends, etc were using larger cartridges and the wild thing was, on lung shot deer, theirs would run as far as the ones I hit...On high shoulder shot deer they all fell at the shot...On one hunt, my brother and I were hunting on the ground together, a bevy of does came out, we tried to time our shots at the same time, well, we both hit the same doe...Him with a .270 and a 130gr Sierra GameKing soft point, me with a 100gr CoreLokt, both in the lungs...That deer taught both of us a lesson, she still ran about 60 yards, made it out of the winter wheat field and fell in the woods...

So, find what the rifle likes, hit them right and you won't have any problems...

Last edited by nchawkeye; 07-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tealboy
I really wasn’t considering the Nosler partition but based on feedback, I guess I need to focus on that one assuming it shoots thru my gun well. Was mostly thinking the fusion would be a little upgrade to the standard soft point but lots of support for this Nosler

That is what I am using in my 7 mag and my 308. They work great and there is a reason that is the bullet that everyone trys to compare itself too. However in my 243 I have fallen in love with the Sierra game king bullet. It is a BTSP and does a number on the deer. Usually drops them where they stand and at 100 yrds I have the holes touching. The rifle is a Remington 710 with the factory rings and scope still on.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 AM
Spike

For the price point it is still hard to beat Winchester Super-X rifle cartridges and in my experiences they have shot as good as any round in my 243's
Old 08-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

I’ve posted an update to this in a new post. Appreciate the help
Old 08-19-2018, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with shooting before buying bulk. I got 2 30-06s with same length and twist. One shoots Hornady interlocks the other partions 1MOA, and they shoot the other brand awful.

I don't hunt deer with with my 243. But I did read an interesting article in a Lyman manual from late 90s. They got some formula to base weight of animal and range and rate calibers. Granted I a skeptical a bit, but I get speed and energy. They rated the 243 higher than 30-30. Now many people the big metplate of lever actions have knock down power. 243 obviously will have longer range though.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

When my daughter was using a .243 she used the Nosler 95gr BT. It was accurate in her rifle and she harvested several deer with that bullet. I know several others in our area that currently use a .243 and they too use the Nosler 95gr BT with good results. Mike
Old 08-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

I am using 100gr Sierra gamekings. They shot the best. Winshester and cci primers shoot the same group and windage but the Winchester prime are shooting 1/2" higher at 100yrds
Old 08-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Spike

The 95g Federal Fusions are great!