Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

6.5 Creedmoor vs 308

Old 06-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by minixjt
Likely in a few years you'll probably end up with one of each, can never have to many bolt rifles ha
So very true! I purchased what I thought was a huge gun safe that I would never outgrow but then instantly had a need to fill the sucker to capacity, and did.lol
Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Spike

Cal Hunter, could you please further explain your brush busting issue comment? Please tell me you aren't one of those folks that thinks the bigger bullets get through brush without deflection easier than small and fast. I've seen 220gr bullets from a .300wm get deflected by a tiny little stem, just barely bigger than a grass stem, throwing my bullet off more than a foot and hitting a deer plumb sideways. Granted it blew the whole front chest out of the deer but if it had been another 40 yards it would have missed it completely. Keyhole entry can be a mess.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:23 PM
Spike

As a precision rifle shooter and experienced reloader, I can tell you that these two cartridges are not in the same class. While Im not a fan of the CM, its impossible to not appreciate the performance of the round. In the last 3 years the brains have brought bullet performance and options a long way. Ive seen hundreds of guys pick up a quality sub $1000 rifle chambered in 6.5 CM and within weeks, make consistent MOA hits out to 1000 yards. Now that the 6.5 fire has really taken off, ammo or component availability are no longer an issue. Its a flat shooting round made to fit in a short action rifle magazine and performs awesome in an AR10 platform. Cant do that with a 308 on either level, unless you plan on the bullet jumping a quarter inch before it touches rifling. If I had to pick (already did) Id always go with a 6.5mm round over a 30 caliber round. There are no disadvantages to owning one.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

the thread started with the original post...
6.5 Creedmoor vs 308I'm looking to purchase a new rifle. I'm looked through forums at nosia trying to compare 6.5 vs 308. The information I'm truly looking for I cant find. That is these 2 calibers at close range. I like the idea of the 6.5 for less recoil. But how does it do from 20-200 yards where most my Wisconsin hunting shots occur. Every time I Google the 2 all I get is how superior the 6.5 is at long range. But what about your normal 70 yard shot. Or even 20. Would love to hear from you guys/gals on this matter. Would probably shoot 143 eld x out of the creed or 150 accubond out of the 308.
I just spent the morning at the local range, one of the guys I hunt with , recently purchased a nice synthetic stock, savage in caliber 6.5 creed,
rather similar to this one Ill link too, and he has a Nikon scope mounted
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/205689

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...e-matte-finish
the rifle is certainly accurate, off the bench, but once he had it well sighted in, I suggested he try a few shots from a sitting position.......if he does not put a great deal more practice time in
...well, lets just say, a deer would need to be rather down on his luck, to get hit, past about 200 yards because from what I just saw,
a 2ft x 2 ft paper cardboard backer was not getting hit very often, let alone the target, once he got off the bench rest
the equipment's excellent, the equipment's operator skills need serious improvement.
most guys won,t admit the fact that those 1" or less groups are impressive, but once your forced off the bench rest thats not what the combo of rifle and its operator can produce in the field.
theres no way you could reasonably dispute the fact that the 6.5mm creed has a bit flatter trajectory,
but so does a 270 win, all but meaningless when most guys under field conditions could not place shots consistently in a 6" circle at 100 yards on their first shot if their lives depended on the results.
debating trajectory might seem important, but after decades of hunting and watching myself and others shoot, I think ,
a great deal more time and effort spent learning your rifles trajectory and learning to shoot well from a quickly acquired field position takes precedent.
the finest equipment is limited by the operators skill and dexterity, and the original post tends to indicate shots over 200 yards will be rare.

308 wins ammo is cheaper to find much more common ammo, and has a long successful record of successful use.
the difference in recoil will be minimal , a larger and even marginally heavier projectile will generally produce a more lethal wound on deer and hogs etc. the only advantage the 6.5mm has is marginally flatter trajectory and youll see almost zero advantage under 200 yards
the 308 win will push a 150 grain bullet about 150 fps faster than a 147 grain creedmoor
you could reasonably expect less than 3 ft lbs difference in recoil in similar rifles
Id be surprised if you see any real difference if either choice is used for either hunting or targets at under 200 yards

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgi

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=308%20Winchester&Weight=All&ty pe=Rifle&Source=

https://press.hornady.com/assets/sit...147gr-data.pdf

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-26-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Spike

Between those 2 choices and if only looking at 20-200 yard shots, it would be hard to recommend the 6.5 over the 308. 308 is cheaper to shoot, more readily available, more of a bullet selection, more versatile if you were looking to step up to larger game and is every bit as good as the 6.5 accuracy wise (when the shooter does his/her part) at practical hunting distances. I still say the 7-08 needs to be thrown into the mix though...