HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Extreme Cold! First Muzzleloader Kill (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/416958-extreme-cold-first-muzzleloader-kill.html)

Weekend Woodsmen 01-21-2018 11:17 AM

Extreme Cold! First Muzzleloader Kill

We were crazy enough to brave the extremely cold temps during Ohio's muzzleloader season, and it paid off! I was able to avoid tag soup and the embarrassment of being the only "Woodsman" to not get a deer this year. This was my first muzzleloader kill and I used my Uncle's gun to do it because my dad was having trouble with the digital lock on his safe! It was a good thing though, because I wouldn't have taken this shot without a scope. Hope you enjoy the video!

Champlain Islander 01-21-2018 01:04 PM

I enjoyed the video.... well done but would be concerned about down range since there obviously is a road with traffic and what looks like a house light in the background. From what I can see it wouldn't be a set up I would use.

Bocajnala 01-21-2018 09:42 PM

Definitely was a cold few days in the woods. I saw a few doe but nothing good.

I sold a cva staghorn that used #11 caps cause I just didn't trust it to go off.

-Jake

Weekend Woodsmen 01-22-2018 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4326522)
I enjoyed the video.... well done but would be concerned about down range since there obviously is a road with traffic and what looks like a house light in the background. From what I can see it wouldn't be a set up I would use.

Thank you! There was a rural road to the right and where that car came is just a rural driveway. Horrible luck that they decided to pull down there driveway when they did. I know you can’t tell from the video but I was shooting into a valley and that driveway is actually up hill quite a bit. I was actually trying to wait for the car to pull out and drive away but in hindsight I could have waited a bit longer. Either way the valley affords quite a bit of protection! Thanks for the comment!

Weekend Woodsmen 01-22-2018 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4326575)
Definitely was a cold few days in the woods. I saw a few doe but nothing good.

I sold a cva staghorn that used #11 caps cause I just didn't trust it to go off.

-Jake

My buddy will definitely have that in the back of his mind from now on!

Champlain Islander 01-22-2018 02:17 AM

Heard this year around these parts about a lot of duds with one batch of #11. I don't remember the brand though since I don't hunt with #11 anymore. In all the years of ML hunting and shooting I only had it happen once and that was on the range after a mid shooting session cleaning. It was with a TC New Englander 54 using #11 caps and I didn't pop one off after cleaning before I reloaded. I must have had some solvent stuck in the nipple. Second cap and the shot went off. I don't hunt with that one anymore but like to shoot patch and ball out of it on the range.

Weekend Woodsmen 01-23-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4326582)
Heard this year around these parts about a lot of duds with one batch of #11. I don't remember the brand though since I don't hunt with #11 anymore. In all the years of ML hunting and shooting I only had it happen once and that was on the range after a mid shooting session cleaning. It was with a TC New Englander 54 using #11 caps and I didn't pop one off after cleaning before I reloaded. I must have had some solvent stuck in the nipple. Second cap and the shot went off. I don't hunt with that one anymore but like to shoot patch and ball out of it on the range.

I think my buddy's issue was letting the gun change temps too much. He left it outside, but we got a bit of a warm snap between the brutally cold weekend and that next Tuesday, and he got condensation in there.

Champlain Islander 01-23-2018 04:19 PM

I feel for him. Now that he has had that failure wondering if and when that will happen again would drive me crazy. I'd be buying another gun. LOL