Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Recommend rifle/cartridge, mostly woods >

Recommend rifle/cartridge, mostly woods

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Recommend rifle/cartridge, mostly woods

Old 12-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Spike

I see Ruger makes a "Hawkeye" and it costs more than Ruger American. What would be the difference in accuracy? (I am not very familiar with what are good rifles in the inexpensive to moderate price range.)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Saying this points you right at the .308 without a doubt. Ammo costs are significantly lower in that caliber. Kick is less.
Nailed it. Nothing wrong with any of the other calibers mentioned either though of course.

As for great shooting "budget rifles", TC Compass with $75 rebate, Winchester XPR with $100 rebate or a Savage AXIS II with (I believe) a $100 rebate are all fantastic rifles that can be had for around $250 or less in some instances. Ruger American shoots pretty well also but they rarely offer the rebates of the others mentioned.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nameuser
I see Ruger makes a "Hawkeye" and it costs more than Ruger American. What would be the difference in accuracy? (I am not very familiar with what are good rifles in the inexpensive to moderate price range.)
The Ruger M77 Hawkeye product line is the legacy line for Ruger, their traditional claw extractor, controlled round feed model. The American line launched a handful of years ago as their entry into the more budget efficient push feed market.

While the Hawkeye line is typically more refined in form and features, it's really not any more accurate than the American line, and frankly, is often less accurate. Both models use the same hammer forged barrels, but the barrel nut design of the American, combined with the dramatically better trigger and the push feed design give it an edge in inherent precision over the Hawkeye. I'm a big fan of the M77 Mark II's, the predecessor to the M77 Hawkeyes, as well as the Hawkeyes themselves, but I'm a glutton for punishment in being such - the American is a more modern design, with lower cost and improved precision. The aftermarket support is far greater for the American than the Hawkeyes as well, for parts upgrades and customization. The work required to get an American up to my personal standards is far less than that required to get the Hawkeyes revamped to my liking. As much as I subjectively enjoy the Ruger M77 Hawkeyes, I don't typically recommend them for new gun buyers. The Hawkeyes will also typically be considerably heavier than an American of the same barrel length and profile - or considerably heavier than most other rifles on the market, as the big, square, cast M77 action weighs about a half pound more than competing tube type actions from the American or Remington 700. Nothing functionally wrong with them, but there are better options on the market for the money.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

45 70 will do it all. If you decide to go for moose or elk or bear, you are covered.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Spike

OK, I made a decision, ordered a Thompson-Center Compass .308 really cheap with a rebate. Thanks for posted advice. There's a crazy amount of decisions to make buying a deer rifle. I finally said heck with it, bought a .308.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

308 is never a bad choice..
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

That .308 will do everything you need plus some. You won't be disappointed.

For others that may search this thread with the same question: everything listed will work fine. Including the .30-30.... Are there "better" options out there, sure. But at 200 yards, and with ammo around $15/box, it's really hard to beat a marlin .30-30 with a good scope. I haven't reached for mine, other than for a hog hunt last January, in a couple years cause I've been playing with other things lately. But, it's always ready to go and I never have any doubts about carrying it. The only time it's not suitable is if you're sitting on a field where you need to stretch out a little bit.

-JaKe
Old 12-22-2017, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That .308 will do everything you need plus some. You won't be disappointed.

For others that may search this thread with the same question: everything listed will work fine. Including the .30-30.... Are there "better" options out there, sure. But at 200 yards, and with ammo around $15/box, it's really hard to beat a marlin .30-30 with a good scope. I haven't reached for mine, other than for a hog hunt last January, in a couple years cause I've been playing with other things lately. But, it's always ready to go and I never have any doubts about carrying it. The only time it's not suitable is if you're sitting on a field where you need to stretch out a little bit.

-JaKe
x2 on all of this. Good choice of rifle and a 30-30 can surely get it done.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good choice, good luck with the rifle.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can also get the Remington or Hornady Managed/Light Recoil ammo for You Rifle and You will have less recoil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.